NLOTH 2 (song) General Discussion + lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of NLOTH 2 (B-Side)?

• Total voters

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
let's continue all here...

and if someone has the lyrics, please, post them :wave:

DISCUSS

Last edited:
I think in the end the real difference between the two versions will just be that this one gets right into it, and the album one will build up to it (that, and the speed). On the clip of the album one you can hear the guitar kick in in the last split second. I’m guessing that by the ending, they’re both pretty much identical, except the album version will be a bit more full on. Louder, heavier, but essentially the same.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but is NLOTH's singer the same guy as the cop in Tripoli? (He mentioned being "a traffic cop in a beret..."
If so, NLOTH (the album) could actually be a concept album or rock opera.

I think in the end the real difference between the two versions will just be that this one gets right into it, and the album one will build up to it (that, and the speed). On the clip of the album one you can hear the guitar kick in in the last split second. I’m guessing that by the ending, they’re both pretty much identical, except the album version will be a bit more full on. Louder, heavier, but essentially the same.

Here is the quote i have just recived from the girl who has heard the album:

"I dont know how I can convey that other than what I said on the first page....lol...the start of the album version is pretty much straight into the track - big guitars - this 2nd version is a bit more "electro"...not sure if thats the right word...

The folks at Interference will just have to wait and form their own opinion but when everyone hears the album version, you will know what I mean :) It makes me laugh that they "dont believe" when they havent heard both versions"

I've listened to this 100X more than GOYB.

The only slightly 'off' thing (if you can call it that) for me is the transition into the bridge...but they come out of it in fine form so it saves the moment.

I really hope the album version isn't much slower, I'm dancing to this song! Then again, I like Lady With The Spinning Head more than The Fly (album - live I LOVE) too sooo...

Yes, and hopefully the second verse is a bit more intelligible.

And another quote from one of the other girls who heard the album, am sorry if you dont belive it guys, but the thread is over on u2.com with pictures etc,

"well i can answer that as I listened to the 30 second snippets, which i regret now, as they do no justice to any of the songs.

A lot of the songs go in many different directions throughout so no one can judge any of these songs or compare them to anything on 30 seconds of listening. "

In my opinion it just doesn't stand out enough, which is fine because its a B-side and I'm sure the album/live version will be much better. This version though just reminds me too much of 'Lady With The Spinning Head'. I've yet to make my mind up about Bono as well - the first half he sounds great but towards the end it starts to get a bit much of him constantly belting notes in high register.

And another quote from one of the other girls who heard the album, am sorry if you dont belive it guys, but the thread is over on u2.com with pictures etc,

"well i can answer that as I listened to the 30 second snippets, which i regret now, as they do no justice to any of the songs.

A lot of the songs go in many different directions throughout so no one can judge any of these songs or compare them to anything on 30 seconds of listening. "

Don’t worry, everyone believes you. I’m also not debating some punk v ambient thing, I really don’t it will be that clear, that black and white. Just saying, obviously from the clip the album version at least at the beginning is calmer. Slower, quieter. I actually think it opens with a bang – heavy – but then drops for these opening verses and spends the rest of the song building back to a huge ending. That doesn’t actually contradict what this girl is saying at all. What she’s saying makes perfect sense.

Don’t worry, everyone believes you. I’m also not debating some punk v ambient thing, I really don’t it will be that clear, that black and white. Just saying, obviously from the clip the album version at least at the beginning is calmer. Slower, quieter. I actually think it opens with a bang – heavy – but then drops for these opening verses and spends the rest of the song building back to a huge ending. That doesn’t actually contradict what this girl is saying at all. What she’s saying makes perfect sense.

But thats not the beggining even, who knows maybe its part of the bridge? i really dont know, but i am going to belive 100% someone who has actually heard the album and has proof she has heard it,

i just want the album version to drop the NO..... LINE........etc. part at the end. that is the only thing i don't like, and the cheesiness of kind of ruins the ending for me.

I've already listened to this more than I've listened to Boots. Bono does a better job both lyrically and vocally, and the music is certainly cool, rockin', and importantly interesting stuff. As I said in the last thread, I think the rhythm section holds its own well while Edge brings the rock. I've felt rewarded on my early repeated listens, and playing this thing loud definitely pays off too. And thank god it comes from a different place to the last two albums! It feels more connected to some of the nineties' rocking tracks than anything, but without being a kind of clone or derivative knock-off.

As for the poll on this thread, well, "it's OK" would under-rate how I feel about the song, so I voted "love it", even though it'd be more fair to just say I like it and am definitely digging it at this early juncture.

But thats not the beggining even, who knows maybe its part of the bridge? i really dont know, but i am going to belive 100% someone who has actually heard the album and has proof she has heard it,

Are you just arguing with yourself at this point?

I've already listened to this more than I've listened to Boots. Bono does a better job both lyrically and vocally, and the music is certainly cool, rockin', and importantly interesting stuff. As I said in the last thread, I think the rhythm section holds its own well while Edge brings the rock. I've felt rewarded on my early repeated listens, and playing this thing loud definitely pays off too. And thank god it comes from a different place to the last two albums! It feels more connected to some of the nineties' rocking tracks than anything, but without being a kind of clone or derivative knock-off.

Great review, I agree with this being far stronger lyrically and vocally for Bono. I've listened to this now on my reference monitors, my main stereo, my in-ears and in the car (that's how I judge a song, by how it sounds across those 4 listening mediums) and it passes with flying colors :up:

Doesn't count because you likely won't have a choice, depending on how many shows you attend. :wink:

NLOTH :rockon:

I'm gonna get a beer during NLOTH for each show. :beer:

In all seriousness, I like the song, but don't like this mix. I like the clips. I think I will enjoy the album version just fine. And I'm sure I'll enjoy this in concert. But something isn't quite right about the mix on this version.

Probably why it's a b-side. :yes:

And now back to :beer:. Of course, I'm at work, so :shh:.

Back
Top Bottom