Is this the worst U2 album ever ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache, totally agree, I thought that I was listening to something else when I hear people say it's the same old stuff from U2. The last half, especially, is chock full of new stuff for them. If you don't like it, fair enough, but it doesn't sound the same.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

These are the particular fans I want disappointed. This is a good sign for the album. Everybody who listened to it more than once changed their opinions and will continue to do so after many listens and getting into the themes of the songs. Good albums have to sink in.

Yes to this.

:facepalm:

This is the album that those three albums wanted to be.

This is a cohesive album, and sonically shares very little with those albums.

fair enough.

we can agree to disagree.

but just to reiterate, i enjoy the album a lot.

Give it some time. What's interesting to me is the "song ranking" thread. Damned if everyone doesn't have a completely different opinion of what the best track is. Seems all 11 songs have been favorited enthusiastically by one or another. It's early, but that's the sign of a good album, whose weaker tracks will "fill in" as it matures.

Also, keep in mind that this is the first of two totally different records. This one is innocent and bright. The next will likely be more shadowy and hard-boiled. My hunch is you're more a fan of "Bad" and "Bullet" U2, than "bright" U2. If so, I'm confident the next release will be more to your liking.

Just try to remember that, though it may not appeal to you, this kind of record is going to appeal to a lot of others who have different tastes. And no doubt we'll be hearing dissatisfaction from them about the next one. :)

re: Where is Edge? - i understand where OP is coming from.

the guitar riff in the chorus of New York (an average song on ATYCLB) is better and more creative than any riff on this new album, IMO. the guitar work on In a Little While, Walk On, and of course Beautiful Day is way better.

i have a feeling Edge will really show up for the live versions of these songs. the guitar in The Miracle at the Apple event yesterday was already an improvement from the album version. but what happened on the album?

on the other hand, Bono's vocal melodies are fantastic. he is doing all the heavy lifting on this album. but his back must still be bothering him, because there isn't much to carry.

re: Where is Edge? - i understand where OP is coming from.

the guitar riff in the chorus of New York (an average song on ATYCLB) is better and more creative than any riff on this new album, IMO. the guitar work on In a Little While, Walk On, and of course Beautiful Day is way better.

i have a feeling Edge will really show up for the live versions of these songs. the guitar in The Miracle at the Apple event yesterday was already an improvement from the album version. but what happened on the album?

on the other hand, Bono's vocal melodies are fantastic. he is doing all the heavy lifting on this album. but his back must still be bothering him, because there isn't much to carry.

Are you perhaps listening to this on a phone from the 90s?

This album sounds like every other album U2 has released since the beginning of their musical career. And what's even worse: The band who recorded this album sounds exactly like U2. It's always these same four guys. Nothing new here, boring. :grumpy:

I already declared it the worst over in another thread and nothing's changed or will change. Records I'm mostly dismissive of like R&H and Pop still have some of the band's best songs ("Angel of Harlem" and "All I Want Is You" and "Discotheque" and "Gone"). California is the only track on this one that sort of catches what I love about this band, perhaps because it's actually a little catchy.

The overall product is a mixture of banal lyrics (not entirely, but mostly), The Edge's guitar riffing away instead of giving us some "classic U2 tones" and songs that really, really could use stronger hooks. Not to mention that the overall feel/sound of a lot of the tracks apes some modern rock acts that I could really give a fuck about, such as The Killers. The album weirdly sounds like an attempt to conform to the mainstream while also not producing any songs that could actually be hits.

This album sounds like every other album U2 has released since the beginning of their musical career. And what's even worse: The band who recorded this album sounds exactly like U2. It's always these same four guys. Nothing new here, boring. :grumpy:

Almost poetry.

No kidding. I was feeling exhausted after listening to the album and it was not due to Bono's vocals.

Ding ding ding!

no. i can hear the guitars. they are not great.

however, if i could re-create the scene from Back to the Future where Marvin Berry calls his cousin Chuck to hear this "new sound you were looking for," i would go back to the 90s, use a phone from the 90s, and call Edge from ZooTV to yell "LISTEN TO THIS!"

The overall product is a mixture of banal lyrics (not entirely, but mostly), The Edge's guitar riffing away instead of giving us some "classic U2 tones" and songs that really, really could use stronger hooks. Not to mention that the overall feel/sound of a lot of the tracks apes some modern rock acts that I could really give a fuck about, such as The Killers. The album weirdly sounds like an attempt to conform to the mainstream while also not producing any songs that could actually be hits.

Two questions:

1. Did you hate AB at first because Edge dropped his classic tones?
2. You really find the last 3 albums to be better lyrically? I mean there are moments, but I'm shocked that a lyric person would find this banal over some of the Bomb and ATYCLB stuff... or SUC

No.

i will say there is no chimey guitar. is that true?

like, it's Edge riffermania. it's like he's apologizing for SUC and is like, "no, really guys, i can do better."

Right? I love the riffs on this album, Miracle, Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood Road all have some great guitar.

:facepalm:

This is the album that those three albums wanted to be.

This is a cohesive album, and sonically shares very little with those albums.

Precicely. It's like if Pop and ATYCLB had a baby. And easily Bono's best lyrics since Pop.

Two questions:

1. Did you hate AB at first because Edge dropped his classic tones?
2. You really find the last 3 albums to be better lyrically? I mean there are moments, but I'm shocked that a lyric person would find this banal over some of the Bomb and ATYCLB stuff... or SUC

Agreed. The lyrics are way better than most of what Bono's done in this millennium.

The lyrics on this record are going to justify their own thread eventually, but for now I'll just say they are..."improved"...from Bono's recent output. They aren't among Bono's best, but there's no absolute disaster on here like Ordinary Love or some of the worst moments of NLOTH.

You know what they say about opinions....

However, we are each entitled to our own. U2 will never please everyone but seems like they've pleased a vast majority.

So I'll answer the question with a "Hell no"!

I agree. I personally think the wait was worth it. It's a fantastic album.

This records is 2 zillions times better and fresher than NLOTH.

NLOTH is my axe to grind. I'm not gonna say the band hit this record out of the park with SOI, but after 3 listens front to back yesterday, I feel good, warm, and fuzzy....they way I should feel when I hear a U2 song. Production, harmonies, melodies, and bridges sound tight and fresh.

What I think I like most.. and obviously why it is called "Sounds of Innocence".... when reading the liner notes, all the songs are connected to early people/events/bands that shaped U2 who they are today. Something about the resonates with me.

I particularly enjoyed Neil McCormick's review.

U2, Songs of Innocence: first review - Telegraph

" I wouldn’t put it on a par with their greatest work - Boy, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby or even the seamless songs of All That You Can’t Leave Behind. At times it does sound like it is trying a bit too hard to please. But it's more pop than Pop ever was, and it certainly does the job it apparently sets out to do, delivering addictive pop rock with hooks, energy, substance and ideas that linger in the mind after you’ve heard them."

A good U2 record takes a moment to marinate..... like a good steak before a BBQ. Perhaps naysayers will change their mind. I completely changed my mind about Pop. It only took a year. Can't say I've changed my mind about NLOTH or October....many years have passed since then.

Despite the fact that radio is dying.... this is made for masses to consume and for radio play.

I like the throwback to their youth....and it isn't a preachy kinda Bono you hear..... it's a reflective one.

These dudes are old now..... and they are busting out this song like they are super duper young.

Love it.

Back
Top Bottom