Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like some of the songs got shorter since that Gavin Friday video.

yeah. i wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

hopefully it means that they polished everything up nice. i would rather the song be polished than long for the sake of being long.

That second german review (laut.de) is a bit of a cliché. The bottom line is that the reviewer thinks that U2 still sounds to much like U2. Thank god for that. But when U2 sounds like Coldplay in Breath (load of bollocks in my view) that is not good either. Bit of a simpleton maybe? But he thinks it's a good album so let's wait and see.

That second german review (laut.de) is a bit of a cliché. The bottom line is that the reviewer thinks that U2 still sounds to much like U2. Thank god for that. But when U2 sounds like Coldplay in Breath (load of bollocks in my view) that is not good either. Bit of a simpleton maybe? But he thinks it's a good album so let's wait and see.

yeah, i would chalk that up as a simple case of U2 being victims of their own success.

yeah. i wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

hopefully it means that they polished everything up nice. i would rather the song be polished than long for the sake of being long.

Yeah I agree. I think it can only be a good thing. Songs polished up have a better chance of making it as a single release.

French first impressions of the album coming up later today(from french site suckingrockandroll). First info is that Fez-Being Born is indeed a song that consists of two different parts.

French first impressions of the album coming up later today(from french site suckingrockandroll). First info is that Fez-Being Born is indeed a song that consists of two different parts.

very nice! please keep us updated.

What Blitz(Portuguese Music Magazine) has to say. (Don't Know if someone already posted it)

BLITZ: A BLITZ j� ouviu o novo disco dos U2: saiba ao que soa No Line On The Horizon

I'm Portuguese but I'm at work so I can't lose a lot of time translating it...

google translate says:

The BLITZ already heard the new album of U2: to know that sounds In Line On The Horizon

Portuguese and Spanish journalists attended yesterday "antestreia" the new album of U2 in Madrid. Meet you there, track to track.
More than a band, we know that the U2 are a true multinational when first listening to your new album are conducted to a room in the headquarters of the Universal Spain, where over 30 journalists were Iberian poke around a table.

On top of that there are snacks and soft drinks, but of course it is In Line On The Horizon, the brand new album from U2 and awaited the main course of the matinee Madrid.

The 12th disc in the career of Irish theme opens with the title: U2 in epic mode, dotted with explosive chorus with some more atmospheric moments.

Then, in the latest Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, Coldplay have tried to emulate the U2, there are new In Line On The Horizon - Brian Eno which also left his mark - passages in which Bono and company seem sound when trying to sound to Coldplay to U2. A kind of tail pescadinha in the mouth, therefore, not the band that macula first patented the idea of epic with a good heart.

The second song, "Magnificent" is a ballad that has left a good impression on the journalists present. Asked to leave mobile phones in a box at the entrance of the room to avoid naughty recordings, the reporters accompanied the hearing with the lyrics of the songs ahead. In the end, we were also asked to return them to the source, but not prevented us from noting the emotional lyrics of "Magnificent": "Only love, only love can leave such a mark / I was born to sing for you", then Bono, who along Line On The Horizon At risk frequent falsetto.

One of the highlights of the new album, Magnificent is a strong candidate for next single and it seems to recover some of the spirituality of the early days of U2, combined with the role that now all four of Dublin improved: to raze stadium.

Not on purpose, "Moment of Surrender" is to know by synthesizers that resemble organs of church, crossed with a soft electronic beat that does not threaten the calm of the song.

Also in the letter "Moment of Surrender" is introspective, with references to God, altars e. .. boxes of cash.

"Unknown Caller" continues the quiet tone, with twitter of birds to enter and leave "sunshine, sunshine" to the tone for a more reflective song lyrics and chorus of dynamite.

With "I'll Go Crazy If I Do not Go Crazy Tonight," it repeated some of the strengths of The Line On The Horizon: the falsetto of Bono, the guitar - unmistakable, idiosyncratic - of The Edge and a chorus with everything to bring the songs to where the U2 is used to be: on top of the world.

Known first single, "Get Your Boots On" with his boot "garageiro" is perhaps the most atypical song of the disc and shows a hip sway away from the first half of the album. The heaviest riff is in "Stand Up Comedy," whose letter back pointing to the spiritual: "God is love is life and evolution's very best day," heard in the offices of Universal Madrid.

Then comes the double "He Being Born" after a phrase with instrumental electronic beat, where the distance, you hear repeated the leaves "I let in the sound" of the single "Get On Your Boots", a song concerning atmospheric boundary with references to the Bay of Cadiz, the Atlantic Ocean and the sun of Africa, gifts with a refrain that the less explicit companion disk.

Quiet but also closer to the folk sound is "The Snow White" with a melancholic lyrics where Bono sings "If only the heart could be the the white snow."

Near the close, "Breathe" is a new challenge in more firm riffs, like "Stand Up" Comedy "or" Get Your Boots On. "Bono, in turn, charge that it is possibly the most descriptive wording the album, in a curious style most recited and sung least, almost dylanesco.

No Line On The Horizon dismisses it with "Cedars of Lebanon," music perhaps too discreet to close the album with an exclamation point. "This Shitty world sometimes produces a rose" is also one of the more strange to leave The Line On The Horizon.

Yocyta between rock chorus with the site, some more heavy riffs and almost psychedelics (see Queens of the Stone Age) and intimate songs, often devoid of the usual power ballads of U2, arrives Line On The Horizon In the end. At the exit, opinion is divided but the majority of journalists showed up excited about the return of U2 to the disks. As for future concerts to promote the No Line On The Horizon, was not, as yet, announced.

Here's another one

U2 apresentam No Line On The Horizon - Expresso.pt

I didn't read the review... I'm only seeing my email and then post the links here... If you guys want after my work is done I can translate it properly :up:

The U2 has a new sound. In the strongest themes of the album "No Line On The Horizon" combines the rock that characterized the decade of 80 and throw to a dark conclusion, with a strong choral component to oscillate between the liturgy and a diffuse epic.

The disc you hear clearly. Sets up easily and brand new stage in the career of the band from Dublin. The guitar worked well, the keys (unless used above) and a rhythmic development that transforms each of the 11 subjects from the beginning until the last chord is the keynote.

Criticism aside, at a time when nobody can hear the album, it is worth telling the story of the first hearing to the press Iberian. The secret has always been the soul of business. By saying grabbed to Universal Music, publisher of the band of Bono Vox.

When entering the room, equipped with coca-cola, juices, beers, water and hors d'oeuvres for everyone at the place of publisher in Madrid, five minutes after the 18h, an employee of Universal called mobile phones of the 40 journalists invited and received them a box.

Recording was forbidden, of course. Already in the hearing room, another official with the letters distributed copies of new issues and asked in English not in leaves escrevêssemos because that would return at the end. The secret had to be maintained. Only after the Irish group put online on their official website, the new album available to the public we can disclose in detail its content, which can happen in 15, 20 days maximum. The official launch will take place on 27 February only in their country of origin, will be followed by the rest of Europe to March 2 and 3 will come the turn of the North American market. Everything planned in detail.

The first song, No Line On The Horizon, will finally start playing. Sitting around a table, not enough for all the notebooks are filling up the notes. Many try to copy the letters hastily, others just listen and shake their heads at the sound of rhythm.

The unexpected happens next. Magnificent, perhaps the best theme of the album (you must couple it goes) is stopped abruptly. The disc stops playing. The equipment failure for a moment. Back to music, but stops again. For ten minutes the audience does not know it going to laugh or cry. Seven people around the stereo system can not solve the problem. The CD does not run. The technicians do not understand why the nerves and take account of the team from the publisher. Come new disc, nothing. Come one other than the U2. Works. Retrying. Uf! The thing goes. And going to the end. In apotheosis.

The general consensus is: The Edge, Bono, Larry Muller Jr., Adam Clayton have anything new to say and say it. The satisfaction is great. The dominant feeling is that of sharing. That old thing, which no longer are used: a disc without listening to network with people who do not know and that is at once to feel the pleasure of music and dissects it professionally.

The output of the first group of the headquarters of the Universal, is now seeing the second. The Spanish press is going to weight. Will be able to hear the album until the end? The equipment work? Experience it is worth in any way.

"The secret had to be maintained. Only after the Irish group put online on their official website, the new album available to the public we can disclose in detail its content, which can happen in 15, 20 days maximum." :hyper:

'No Line on the Horizon', the new album from U2, who arrived in Portugal on 2 March, does justice to the past of the Irish band, which risks and invest in new sounds.

The CM has already heard the album in Madrid, and can ensure that it is the most daring of the U2 album since 'Achtung Baby', 1991. Have an alignment study: strong entry, ballads and a growing until the last of 11 songs, 'Cedars of Lebanon', where almost Bono recites ( "Choose your enemies carefully cause they will define you '[' Choose your enemies carefully, because they define you ']) over atmospheric landscapes noise. Yet the work of brilliant guitar of The Edge, important in 'Moment of Surrender', the interlude 'He Being Born' and 'Breathe'. Memory is, also, 'the White Snow', the matrix and the best theme for folk acoustic version.

'No Line on the Horizon' is an album that you hear a shot, with surprise after surprise and songs that the memory record. Besides the single 'Get on your Boots,' there is' Magnificent '- which refers immediately to' Unforgetable Fire '- and' Stand Up Comedy, 'hard rock zeppeliano shaped the precept for phrases like "God is love and love is evolution's very best day [ 'God is love and love is the best day of development']. "

In addition to honor the roots - avoiding away from the fans - the U2 also experience. Really. Almost all songs have introductions, some with music and environments of Morocco, where Bono and company recorded the disc, there are details and sound spread throughout the songs, with organ and percussion. The singer could also reaching tones that rarely reached in previous discs.

Despite only coming to Portugal to March 2, 'No Line on the Horizon' is launched on February 27 in Ireland.
Luis Figueiredo Silva, Special Envoy Madrid

Only after the Irish group put online on their official website, the new album available to the public we can disclose in detail its content, which can happen in 15, 20 days maximum. The official launch will take place on 27 February only in their country of origin, will be followed by the rest of Europe to March 2 and 3 will come the turn of the North American market. Everything planned in detail.

so wait, it'll be streaming at u2.com in 2-3 weeks?

so wait, it'll be streaming at u2.com in 2-3 weeks?

that's what i get out of this. i'm surprised no one else has mentioned this tidbit. or maybe they were told not too. i remember someone else saying that there were other details about the release that they could not mention yet.

that's what i get out of this. i'm surprised no one else has mentioned this tidbit. or maybe they were told not too. i remember someone else saying that there were other details about the release that they could not mention yet.

unless it's a bad translation... maybe they just mean the new u2.com website will be up then, at which point media can publish their reviews

unless it's a bad translation... maybe they just mean the new u2.com website will be up then, at which point media can publish their reviews

could be, but it does say "album available to the public".

it does make sense, and i had thought about this earlier....how smart it would be for the band to counter punch a leak. the moment it leaks online, stream it on your website. it may prevent some people from illegally downloading the album early, but still gives them the chance to listen early legally.

What Blitz(Portuguese Music Magazine) has to say. (Don't Know if someone already posted it)

BLITZ: A BLITZ j� ouviu o novo disco dos U2: saiba ao que soa No Line On The Horizon

I'm Portuguese but I'm at work so I can't lose a lot of time translating it...

I'll translate (here's the fisrt part):

BLITZ already heard U2's new album: know what No Line on the Horizon sounds like.

Spanish and portuguese journalists watched yesterday the premiere of U2's new album in Madrid.
More than a band, we know that U2 is a multinational when for the very first hearing of their new album we're conducted to a room in Universal Spain's HQ where 30 iberian journalists acommodate around a table.
On this table there are snacks and drinks, but it's clear that No Line on the Horizon, U2's new and awaited album, is the main dish of the matinee.
The 12th album in the irish's career open with the title-track: U2 in epic mode, with explosive chorus and some atmospheric moments.
After that, in the recent Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, Coldplay tried to emulate U2, there's on this new No Line on the Horizon - where Brian Eno left his mark too - passages where seem to sound like Coldplay when trying to sound like U2. Something that doesn't maculate this band that firstly patented this idea of good-hearted epics.
The second song, Magnificent is a ballad that left a good impression on the journalists present. Asked to leave cells on a box at the entrance of the room, to prevent recordings, to reporters accompanied the hearing with the lyrics of the songs. At the end, we're again asked to return those, but that didn't stopped us from note the emotional lyrics in Magnificent: "Only love, only love can leave such a mark / I was born to sing for you.", sings Bono, which through No Line on the Horizon risk frequent falsettos.
One of the new album's highlights, Magnificent is a strong candidate to next single and it seems to recover some spirituality from U2's early days combined with the vocation that the four of Dublin improved: rock stadiums.
Not even on purpose, Moment of Surrender is known by synthesizers that resemble organs of church, crossed with a soft electronic beat that does not threaten the calm of the song.
Also in the lyrics "Moment of Surrender" is introspective, with references to God, altars and... ATMs.
Unknown Caller coninues the quiet tone, with twitter of birds as intro and the outro "sunshine, sunshine" to set the tone for another song with reflective lyrics and dynamite chorus.
With I'll Go Crazy If Don't Go Crazy Tonight some of the strong points of this album are repeated: Bono's falsettos, the guitar - unmistakable and idiosyncratic - from The Edge and a chorus with everything to take songs where U2 inhabits: the top of the world.

I'm working on the second... :wave:

could be, but it does say "album available to the public".

it does make sense, and i had thought about this earlier....how smart it would be for the band to counter punch a leak. the moment it leaks online, stream it on your website. it may prevent some people from illegally downloading the album early, but still gives them the chance to listen early legally.

:hmm:
If I remember correctly, they did something similar for HTDAAB. I remember playing it at u2.com they day it came out in Ireland

My Boss also heard the album. Said it's there best work to date. These reviews in conjunction with my Boss's comments give me hope after that pile of cr*p that was boots. I wish I could have been in on the listening party. :p

I'm really hoping that some of these songs are novel and experimental, good possibility with Eno & Lanois.

From my point of view I'm going to predict that "Boots" and "Stand Up Comedy" are the throw-away, money-making-made-for-ESPN highlight tracks. That sh*t can go IMHO.

My Boss also heard the album. Said it's there best work to date. These reviews in conjunction with my Boss's comments give me hope after that pile of cr*p that was boots. I wish I could have been in on the listening party. :p

I'm really hoping that some of these songs are novel and experimental, good possibility with Eno & Lanois.

From my point of view I'm going to predict that "Boots" and "Stand Up Comedy" are the throw-away, money-making-made-for-ESPN highlight tracks. That sh*t can go IMHO.

Oh god, here we go.

I still don't know what is wrong with Boots, especially now that I have seen its most wonderful, sexy, deathskulls and bulletholes showing video.

Portuguese music (or pseudo-music) magazine BLITZ wrote its review. BLITZ is the corresponding to Rolling Stone and it's a friend of this last one, as well as NME, Blender and Gigwise. Here's the translation I made of the article about U2 new album's review:

Yesterday, portuguese and spanish jounalists assisted to the première of U2’s new album, in Madrid. Here’s our review, track by track.

More than a band, we all knew that U2 is a real multinational enterprise, when for its first listen, we were driven to a room in the headquarter of Universal Spain, where 30 journalists sat on a table. There, we could find some dainties and drinks, but it’s obvious that we were there for the new No Line On The Horizon.

The twelfth album of the irish opens with the title track in epic mood with explosive chorus, dyed with atmospheric moments.

After Coldplay tried to emulate U2 in its last Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends (where Eno left his print too), there are moments where it seems that U2 tries to emulate Coldplay when they try to emulate U2, like a vicious game.

The second track, “Magnificent”, it’s a ballad that left a good impression to the present journalists. Invited to leave their cellphones in a box before getting into that room to avoid recording the songs, they tried to follow the lyrics that, in the end, they had to give back too (!). That didn’t stop us to remember the emotional lines «Only love, only love can leave such a mark / I was born to sing for you» sung by Bono, that tries falsetto all through the album.

One of the highlights of the album, “Magnificent” is a strong candidate to second single and it seems to recover some of the spirituality of the past U2, matched with what the band was made for: to tear down stadium audiences.

“Moment Of Surrender” presents itself through keyboards that remind church organs, mixed with a soft electronic beat that doesn’t erase the relaxed mood of the tune. It has introspective lyrics that includes references to God, “church stages” and to... ATM’s.

“Unknown Caller” keeps the calm mood, introducing bird singing and «sunshine, sunshine» line to get start to reflexive lyrics and dynamite choruses.

“I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight” brings back some of the strongest characteristics of the album: Bono’s falsettos, easily recognizable Edge’s guitars and choruses made to bring audiences to the top of the world, as U2 has got the know-how.

Already known, first single “Get On Your Boots” is the most atypical song of the album, with its garage and dancy mood.

Its heavy riff is kept on “Stand Up Comedy”, which lyrics points again to spirituality: «God is life and love is evolution's very best day» as listened in Universal Madrid offices.

Then we have the couple “Fez – Being Born” which opens with electronic beats and the «let me in the sound» sampled part of “Get On Your Boots”. After this, we have an atmospheric song that reffers to Cádiz Bay, the Atlantic Ocean, Africa’s sun and a chorus which is less catchy than the rest of the album.

Also peaceful, the acoustic folk “White As Snow” has a melancholic lyric with Bono singing the line «If only a heart could be as white as snow».

Almost closing, “Breathe” bets again in heavier riffs like “Get On Your Boots” or “Stand Up Comedy”. On the other hand, Bono delivers, possibly, the most descriptive lyrics on the album, reciting (rather than singing) in a dylanesque tone.

No Line On The Horizon says goodbye with “Cedars Of Lebanon” – perhaps too discrete to close the album with an exclamation «This shitty world sometimes produces a rose», which is one of the strangest lines on the album.

Between well-placed-choruses rock tunes, some heavy riffs (almost psychedelic – à la Queens Of The Stone Age), intimate songs, sometimes without the usual power of U2’s ballads, No Line On The Horizon gets to the end. Leaving the offices, the journalists opinions’ was mixed, but most of them was enthusiastic with U2’s return to recording albums. Nothing has been announced about promocional shows to No Line On The Horizon.

Sorry for my poor english, but this was my effort to make a credible and close translation to the original portuguese article. Not a fan of that Coldplay comparison and few other details, but I don't give much credibility to them anyway. Enjoy it.

Second part:
The already known first single, Get on Your Boots, with its "garage" boot is perhaps the most atipical song in the record and shows a hip sway away from the first half of the album. The heavier riff is mainteined in Stand Up Comedy, whose lyrics point again to the spiritual: "God is life and love is evolution's very best day," was heard in the offices of Universal Madrid.
Then comes the duo Fez-Being Born; after an instrumental piece with electronic beats where, in the distance, you can hear "let me in the sound" from the single Get on Your Boots; starts a song relatively atmospheric with references to the Bay of Cadiz, the Atlantic Ocean and the sun of Africa, gifted with less explicit chorus than the other songs on the album.
Equally calm, but closer to folk and acoustic is White as Snow, with melancholic lyrics where Bono sings "If only a heart could be white as snow."
Almost ending, Breathe is a new bet on the tougher riffs, like Stand Up Comedy or Get on Your Boots. Bono, in his turn, delivers that which is, possibily the most descriptive lyrics in the record, in a curious style that is less sung and most recited, almost "dylanesque"
No Line on the Horizon leaves with Cedars of Lebanon, song perhaps too discrete to close the album with an exclamation point. "This shitty world sometimes produces a rose" is, equally, one of the most strange lyrics in No Line on the Horizon.

Between rockers with strong choruses, some heavy riffs and almost psychedelic (see Queens of the Stone Age) and intimate songs, often devoided of the usual power of U2's ballads, comes No Line on the Horizon in the end. At the exit, opinions were divided but most journalists were excited with U2's return. As for future concerts to promote No Line nothing was, as yet, announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom