Edge spills some beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
from u2.com

Fresh territory for us...'

'The overall feeling of the record is of new ideas not heard on a U2 album before.' We caught up with Edge to talk about how the record is coming along.

Remember we talked with Edge about his work on the forthcoming movie documentary It Might Get Loud ? We also sneaked in a few questions about how the new U2 record is coming along. Here's what he told us.

On the subject of the guitar and your role in ‘It Might Get Loud’, during the writing for this new U2 record do you ever wonder if you sound too much like… yourself ?

"It’s not really a case of sounding like myself but that, if my guitar is the most distinctive musical element in the U2 sound, you just don’t want to present an album where there is too many familiar sounds. You want to present an album which is balanced between things people know and love and also things that people have never heard before.
So it’s not that we don’t want to refer to the past but we don’t want that to be what people think of when they hear the album – it should be just one of the elements. And we’re really happy with the innovations we’ve come up with on this record, I think it’s really fresh territory for us - a lot of people will be very surprised in a good way. "

Bono told us he thought the transition from the last record to this next one could be as distinctive as that from The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby.

"It’s hard to draw direct parallels but I think it’s a movement to a different level. It’s a different place in terms of songwriting and recording, in terms of arrangements and use of instruments, and I think that looking back people will say, yes, this album was a big departure. "

When you’re deciding which songs might go on the album are you ever wondering if one track might be U2 in 2009 whereas another might be U2 in, say, 2004 ?

"Yes, and some things are shockingly different and some things actually sound more like the U2 that people have heard before. That’s OK, everything can’t be a total departure but I think the overall feeling of the record is of new ideas not heard on a U2 album before. And I think within the next few months we’ll get it finished so 2009 will be a busy year for us. "

That’ll be five years after the last record which some would say is a long time…

"With an album like this, where we’re really breaking new ground, we took the view that it was better to put more energy into writing and experimenting so we’ve amassed a lot of material, upwards of fifty songs … although not all have not been finished. At the same time Bono and I have been working on the Spiderman project, so it’s been a very fruitful period. There have been phases when we started to look at how to reproduce the material, and so we weren’t writing, but in the main we’ve been writing constantly and it’s been a great experience.
I think the fact that we said early on we don’t even want to think about where this material is going was giving ourselves a great freedom - just being able to make music for the sake of making music, to create without thinking what it was going to go towards. That’s kind of crucial because if you start to try and write songs with a particular ambition in mind, the work is never as interesting. You can get into that Tin Pan Alley mentality – and sometimes you do get great results from that – but if you’re really trying to break new ground you’ve got to go out there all the way and not be concerned about what the results will be like. So that’s where we went. "

With so many songs, presumably the album could still go in several different directions…

"Actually there are two or three albums of finished mixes that we could release tomorrow but we’re looking for a certain kind of arc to the entire collection of songs and so that’s why we’re keeping working until we’re 100% happy with that. For us it’s about artistic integrity, about making the album that we want to release. It’s only in the process of making an album that you start to understand what it is you have. So it was only recently we started to get a sense of the scope of what we had and having got to that point we asked ourselves if it had reached its potential or if it could go further… and we concluded it could! It’s an amazing piece of work and it needs further development."

too bad the interview isn't very recent
(ah well, u2.com ... )
but good to hear something from a band member anyway :up:

too bad the interview isn't very recent
(ah well, u2.com ... )
but good to hear something from a band member anyway :up:

yeah, when was it they talked with Edge about the movie? late august/early sept?

I like the fact that several of them have used the term "departure" now when describing the sound of the new album...

I don't recall this being used when describing either ATYCLB or HTDAAB so I am hoping this means a shift in sound.

^ That's right. But remember that they didn't know it it would be 2009 back then. I think the interview may be from the time when Bono announced the album delay. It's good to hear that they have 2-3 albums they could release tomorrow. Let's just hope they've found their "arc" by now and are ready to release it.

yeah, when was it they talked with Edge about the movie? late august/early sept?

The other feature with The Edge (the interview about It Might Get Loud) was published on 10-10, so more than 1 month ago. They probably talked with him in the weeks before that one.
So if it's really a 'few months' then they're thinking of early next year.

"and I think that looking back people will say, yes, this album was a big departure. "

As I recall, when Acthung Baby came out, we didn't need to "look back" to decide it was a "big departure"....it was obvious from the start it was! If it needs us a while to "understand and see this" then I am a little skeptical as to what that departure might be...let's just say it's left opened for interpretation!:hmm:

But yeah hopefully this means it could be done and out early 2009 ( I am myself expecting a single around Christmas/New Year with an album out late Feb.

I sort of figured the Spiderman project was helping to delay the release of any new U2 music...but I agree with the last person...I don't expect U2 to release a double album as they are the type of band who likes to focus on one album at a time...but with so much material they really ought to look at releasing a 2nd album of their strongest leftover songs a year after this new album comes out.

but with so much material they really ought to look at releasing a 2nd album of their strongest leftover songs a year after this new album comes out.

Why, even wait an extra year?
Just do the same as was the case with Zooropa and release some new stuff midway through the tour! ;) This way they won't even have to take a break to go in the studio and get songs on tape.

Or just release original b-sides for once. I don't care how they do it, but I would really like to see more "not-quite-album material" being released between album releases if you get my point.

I wish Bono could've been more specific in early September. :grumpy: Edge's take on the situation would have made me feel better about the delay.

awesome!

This makes me think that we've waited 5 years for a good reason....I think the albums after this one will come much quicker and easier....it sounds like they really did write more than just one album's worth of material....so basically when 2009 hits, it's going to be U2 heaven for a longggg time :yes:

A literal interpretation of the "two to three albums of finished mixes" remark suggests that they have 3 albums worth of songs. However, knowing that they've talked about "50 songs written!!!!! before" before, I suspect Edge's intention was that they have X number of songs, that they've each mixed 2 or 3 different ways. Then the key is to find an interpretation/mix of all X songs that flows together.

2 or 3 albums!!!! I'm guessing it's enough to release a quick second, maybe a year afterwards and then a bunch of b-sides or remixes for all of the singles, could be unbelievable and worth the wait for sure!

Edge's intention was that they have X number of songs, that they've each mixed 2 or 3 different ways. - Yep, you're 100% right, mobvok. They do not have enough material to produce 3 albums, Edge was talking about mixing those songs in different ways

Edge is quite clear in saying they have written upwards of 50 songs, although not all of them completely finished. 2-3 Albums of mixed, publishable songs is very well possible in this stage. They just don't make up a complete, well thought album together and maybe the band don't like all of the songs and they think it can be done better. That's how I read it. I doubt we'll ever hear the rest of those 50 songs, apart from a few b-sides and bonus tracks.

I am cautiously optimistic, and as was said earlier, I trust Edge the most to say it straight.
I think that they know they exhausted the ATYCLB/HTDAAB sound now, and need a fresh start. That is great.
However, I'm skeptical about the "50 tunes done" scenario. Ok, maybe there are 50 tunes, but out of those, how many are actually great tunes? Could be all 50, who knows? But...
Didn't they say before ATYCLB they had "over 100 songs written"? We never saw even a QUARTER of those, even if one is to assume all of Bomb, B sides, etc. were included there, which of course they weren't.

Cautiously optimistic. They want the AB transition vibe so badly....and have every album since then. I venture to think they thought POP was another "departure", same with the last two. But it's how THEY see it. They're too close to the work.
Are you telling me "All My Life" or whatever that song was called is "new sonic territory"? No way. Maybe that song wound up in the garbage, maybe not. Who knows. We can only wait and see.
I only listened to the 08 clips once and then erased them. I don't want to cloud my judgement based on those when the album hits. But I don't remember hearing anything shockingly different there.

Cautiously Optimistic....:up:

I'm very optimistic... I trust U2, and I really don't care what they do, as long as they do it well... and I have faith that they will. Release it tomorrow, release it in a year. Anything's good with me.

Back
Top Bottom