Does non-leak speak to U2's greed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very poor satire. I think the boys want to remain relevant (whether we like it or not) and a big way of doing that is maximising how many copies the album sells. I really don't think the money is first priority - and if it was then its their rewards for hard work.

I think you're giving U2 too much credit. It's Universal that is protecting the album.

If "The 2" was in charge of protecting the album, it probably would have leaked weeks ago. :wink:

I really can't fathom why being organised and sticking to a schedule is such a hideous, terrible, greedy thing to do. It's greedy to let your fans know when you're doing something?

BAD U2! BAD! Go to your room and think about what you've done! How dare you release the album on its release date!

U2 having their shit together is apparently a bad thing now.

The OP is an absolute moron, what a fucking stupid question.

If U2 were in charge of the album I think the Rubin sessions would be out too.

^ here here.

It's not greed. It's running an organised business and making everybody take notice by hopefully creating something special. Oasis (besides the UK) is irrelevant and they have never been a band that has been careful with throwing out a good album in the last ten years. U2 actually would like to remain important.

Look, man, I don't dismiss anything I don't like as drivel, I dismiss drivel as drivel. Again you fail to see that when 30 people are here telling you its drivel, you get your back up and won't listen.

Ok, man, you can't make a comment about them wanting more money by not letting it leak, and not get into the capitalist debate. It is the nature of the beast, no-one else's fault but yours for expecting it not to go there.

Finally, you AGAIN fail to see the point whereby they spent years creating the CD, and have set a date for its release. It is irresponsible to let it go before. not only to themselves, and would show a lack of care that people here argue is why Bomb was so disappointing.

If you genuinely feel so entitled that you demand to have an illegal copy of a cd that doesnt exist, you are a very very sad person.

They are anal about it becaus ethey created it, made it, brought it to life, and they have every fucking right to be anal about it.

Dude, you're absolutely impossible man. This is going to be the last time I respond to you b/c you're just not worth my time. You're officially the only U2 fan I don't want to see at a concert.

I NEVER SAID I WANTED A COPY OF THE ALBUM. I've already said in other posts I'm not listening to anything until it comes out and I buy the CD. My point again is, WHY IS IT ONLY U2'S NEW ALBUM THAT HAS NOT LEAKED? I find it funny and was curious as to what other people thought about it in an educated way, not a three-year old child's way who has some sort of fetish with posting on threads little itty bitty baby doesn't like. If you don't like what I have to say, then just ignore the damn thread you child.

My only point is, after the beating U2 has taking in the past about being corporate hypocrites, it's funny their album is the only rock album this year that hasn't leaked up to the release.

FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY AM I NOT ALLOWED TO POINT THAT THE FUCK OUT ON A MESSAGE BOARD?

Dude, you're absolutely impossible man. This is going to be the last time I respond to you b/c you're just not worth my time. You're officially the only U2 fan I don't want to see at a concert.

I NEVER SAID I WANTED A COPY OF THE ALBUM. I've already said in other posts I'm not listening to anything until it comes out and I buy the CD. My point again is, WHY IS IT ONLY U2'S NEW ALBUM THAT HAS NOT LEAKED? I find it funny and was curious as to what other people thought about it in an educated way, not a three-year old child's way who has some sort of fetish with posting on threads little itty bitty baby doesn't like. If you don't like what I have to say, then just ignore the damn thread you child.

My only point is, after the beating U2 has taking in the past about being corporate hypocrites, it's funny their album is the only rock album this year that hasn't leaked up to the release.

FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY AM I NOT ALLOWED TO POINT THAT THE FUCK OUT ON A MESSAGE BOARD?

As I said before, The Killers didn't leak.

I don't think I'm dumb for thinking that. I also think come on, how ridiculous is this, Bono goes on and on about 3rd world debt and how my taxes gotta relieve people, yet look how childish they are with a musical record with 11 songs. Yeah that's right, MUSIC, not the cure for cancer or time travel or splitting the atom, fucking music. Don't you think that when you're worth more than the very countries you go on and on about, that worrying about whether you add 20 million on this album or 15 million to your fat bank account seems a little hypocritical?

The band are not the only people with a stake in this. In fact, the band are almost certainly not the people who are desperate to make sure this album doesn't leak. The people at the record label—the ones whose industry has been in jeopardy for a decade or so now, and whose jobs are disappearing by the month, and who depend on a handful of big releases each year making a lot of money—they are the people who have a real stake in this.

I would be shocked if any of the band bothered with any of the minutiae of making sure the album doesn't leak. You think Edge is writing memos to the CD pressing factory staff? U2's clout might matter, but I doubt it.

Honestly, probably a big reason the album hasn't leaked is because the people who work in the pressing factories and all down the line would like to keep their jobs very much more than has been the case in past years, thanks to the present economy. If I had to choose between (a) a steady wage and benefits or (b) possibly getting fired if I got caught and definitely costing the company that employs me some money, when it's already hemorrhaging it, I'd go with (a) too.

by the way, I just reported this post. that's right I told on you for name calling like an itty bitty baby would

You can't have a point until that actually happens. You should have started this thread after the release date and the album hadn't leaked.

by the way, I just reported this post. that's right I told on you for name calling like an itty bitty baby would

Good, make sure you point out your own comments and everyone else on here who cannot post with respect or have an educated conversation or debate someone else's thoughts.

While I hope this doesn't get into the debate about artists producing art for money vs. production for the sake of art, this thought flew through my head today:

Is it really a surprise that of all the bands who have produced albums over the past two years, U2 seem to be the only one who have kept theirs from leaking?

Good...what is the point in having a release date if you purposely leak the album. I think it speaks to their confidence and they do not have to leak it to create a buzz.

I was able to listen to Viva La Vida and Forth and some of Keane's song before any of those albums came out. I also was able to hear Oasis' shit (and for the record, The Shock of the Lightning destroys GOYB). Why is U2 so guarded with NLOTH? What happened to McGuinness saying U2 had a creative, new way to release the album?

......I think not leaking it is extremely creative

Unfortunately, it seems all this tight-grip stuff is b/c they want people to be forced to buy the album - or at least have to wait until the album comes out to listen to it, which may entice them to buy it or download it legally on i-tunes or zune's network.

You should buy the album if you want to listen to it

While I don't see anything wrong with making money,

Good. I think earning money is an extremely good use of ones talents

that's the world we live in,

Yes

I just think it's quite fitting that it's Bono and the boys.
huh

I can see McGuinness now gripping the one master copy with his hands, locked up in some room with rounds of ammunition

Probably not I think his is anti-gun

and tear gas

Possible

and bloodshot eyes,

Possible

repeating "must wait 'til February 27"

Or March 3 if you live in US and want to "Buy" the album

Thoughts?

And those are my thoughts.....I hope this helps.

I'm usually one who sticks up for the underdog, but this guy deserves to be insulted.

Bro, the album hasn't leaked because it JUST HASN'T LEAKED YET! maybe it will, maybe it won't. But who knows? Get over it.

i dont know if anybody mentioned it but the killers album didnt leak

Good, make sure you point out your own comments and everyone else on here who cannot post with respect or have an educated conversation or debate someone else's thoughts.

I never called you names :shrug:

I said your posts were moronic, but never called you a moron. You called me a child

The band are not the only people with a stake in this. In fact, the band are almost certainly not the people who are desperate to make sure this album doesn't leak. The people at the record label—the ones whose industry has been in jeopardy for a decade or so now, and whose jobs are disappearing by the month, and who depend on a handful of big releases each year making a lot of money—they are the people who have a real stake in this.

I would be shocked if any of the band bothered with any of the minutiae of making sure the album doesn't leak. You think Edge is writing memos to the CD pressing factory staff? U2's clout might matter, but I doubt it.

Honestly, probably a big reason the album hasn't leaked is because the people who work in the pressing factories and all down the line would like to keep their jobs very much more than has been the case in past years, thanks to the present economy. If I had to choose between (a) a steady wage and benefits or (b) possibly getting fired if I got caught and definitely costing the company that employs me some money, when it's already hemorrhaging it, I'd go with (a) too.

Your post was actually very interesting and was what I was hoping to read instead of being attacked. I never even thought about the music industry as far as people who produce cd's. I wonder, however, how much of it is robotic now as far as the presses and cd-making, etc.

The best point you've made, as well as others on here, how much of it is Universal records execs and not U2? I've read books in the past about U2 regarding how they'd play smaller venues to make it look like a sell-out and create demand. They were actually very savvy for a band in their early-20's. Of course, McGuinness helped. I just think it's a bad image for them at this point in their careers to come off as money hungry with all the work Bono does.

Good post though.

People don't agree with you. You have a right to your opinion and we have the right to call it bullshit. As long as no one personally attacks each other we're all abiding by Interference forum standards.

Your argument would be more compelling if U2 always buttoned up the ship this way. Mercy leaked when Bono handed a copy of a cd of it to a fan. Electrical Storm leaked when Bono gave a demo to a radio disc jockey. If anyone's being maniacally focused on controlling leaks it's the record company. That's their job. If it leaks, they lose money. U2 can always make it back up in ticket and t-shirt sales, not to mention royalties on past recordings. Universal will lose millions when/if it leaks.

Basically, your argument is fairly insubstantial and seems to be parsed in such a way as to get a rise out of us. It worked. People reacted strongly, (likely what you were aiming for) and your feelings got hurt. Welcome to the rough and tumble world of the Internet.

I think you're giving U2 too much credit. It's Universal that is protecting the album.

If "The 2" was in charge of protecting the album, it probably would have leaked weeks ago. :wink:

So so so true. :wink:

WalkOn, I think the question is, do you consider leaks and early downloading theft? It is recognized as such by the law, but do you? Don't get me wrong. I am going to dowload the "everliving shit" outta that leak if and when it happens (then buy it once it comes out), but I do recognize it's technically theft. You can't honestly begrudge anybody from wanting to prevent theft against them, can you?

I want the leak like hell, but I certainly don't blame them for wanting to stop it.

Yes, my fault. I actually just assumed this thread was about to be closed based on the first couple of posts.

Well, either we get bitched at for prematurely closing threads around here.. or not closing threads. I was trying to give the thread the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't look like its going to last very long.

Sorry OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom