Boots vs Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which song do you like better?

• Vertigo

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • Get On Your Boots

Votes: 169 70.7%

• Total voters
Yeah it's a little early to start saying which is better, when most people (not all though) will have an altered opinion of it upon hearing it a few hundred more times on the radio, album, bootlegs, live, etc. I think when the next tour winds down, we can start asking what we felt about Boots in comparison to Vertigo.

I will say however, that I have a feeling Larry's thoughtful gift of a badass breakdown in Boots might ultimately push it over Vertigo (and definitely Elevation, which was cool and fun, but nothing spectacular)

You could have said, "What? You don't like that? I LOVE the ending!" or something.
Agree, but you should keep in mind: this is a forum, so... slowchat in its worst form. You can't see peoples faces, you can't hear their intonation. So maybe you shouldn't take things too seriously. Oh and maybe you could consider a better choise of words. By calling those strings "pretentious", your post really gets taken less seriously. Calling ppl "dick" also doens't help ;)

I never liked Vertigo 100% - I just thought it wasn't up to scratch, I think it was the production.

However, Boots is in a different league - that song is a cracker.

Great to sleep on it - I put it on my ipod this morning and was flying around the room - I heard it differently this morning too, I heard more of the sounds in it.

Vertigo was flat - I never got the same feeling listening to it like I have with Boots.

And the lyrics in Boots are far better too.

I hate all the apples and pears comparisons but on listening to the beach clips I would say Boots was my least favourite song out of what I have heard so this bodes really well for the album. Can't wait.

Boots IS JUNK!! U2 is officially DEAD!

:sad: Oh noez. Tell me it isn't so. I think we all might have missed the tragic news because we were too busy fighting over U2's new song.

Vertigo can lick GYOB's boots.

:lol: I don't know why but that cracks me up so badly. I like how you are personifying the songs.

I like Vertigo, but I like GOYB more. At least at the moment. Give it some time, soon we will all be so sick of GOYB.

There may be more going on sonically in Boots and it's a tad better lyrically but Vertigo is a considerably stronger (lead) single.

^I wasn't there but I've read the thread when Vertigo got leaked and as far as I remember almost no bad reactions.

Yeah, because it was a spoon fed contemporary top 40 radio hit. Accessible upon first listen.

The new track has far more depth. Staying power. The mixed reaction bodes well for the album, because fans won't be burned out with it in two months.

if anything i figured people would be talking more about how this is the third straight album to have a single with the word "beautiful" in the, well, i guess chorus... but i'm not really sure what the chorus in boots is :scratch:

Oh you look so beautiful tonight, it's a beautiful day, you don't know how beautiful you are.

Bono's chat up line sorted.

Add beautiful to the list of banned words from now on, along with heart, soul, knees

Exactly. That's what ruined it for me. 2/3 of the song feels to much like a rehash. If they'd never done Vertigo, maybe I'd think it was good. As it stands, I hate Vertigo (macho crap) and am simply okay with Boots.

The Fly is incredible however, and for this to be the best album ever, they're going to have to exceed every song on Achtung Baby; so far, Boots is easily worse than any song on Achtung Baby, so that's not a good start.

For someone who spends as much time as you do to try and come off as a thinking man when it comes to art you fail here. This is why this GOYB and Vertigo comparision is just downright lazy.

Are they both riff driven? Yes, but why are you not mentioning Disco as well(in fact Boots has more in common with Disco than Vertigo).

Are they both linear power chord riffs? No, Vertigo is, Boots is not...

The only thing these two songs really have in common is the quick phrase singing that Bono does, and because that's fairly new for him to structure a song around it these two songs are getting compared.

But then you might as well throw in:

subterranean homesick blues - dylan
pump it up - elvis costello
We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel
and yes, Wild Wild West - The Escape Club

^ but none of these songs are comparable.

People don't get lazy in your comparisons.

For someone who spends as much time as you do to try and come off as a thinking man when it comes to art you fail here. This is why this GOYB and Vertigo comparision is just downright lazy.

Are they both riff driven? Yes, but why are you not mentioning Disco as well(in fact Boots has more in common with Disco than Vertigo).

Are they both linear power chord riffs? No, Vertigo is, Boots is not...

The only thing these two songs really have in common is the quick phrase singing that Bono does, and because that's fairly new for him to structure a song around it these two songs are getting compared.

But then you might as well throw in:

subterranean homesick blues - dylan
pump it up - elvis costello
We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel
and yes, Wild Wild West - The Escape Club

^ but none of these songs are comparable.

People don't get lazy in your comparisons.

please stop being so preachy. It's natural to compare the two as they are both lead singles off their last two respective albums. Although musically different, they are both similar as you mentioned in a) being riff driven, and, b) phrase singing. Also include the similarity that both songs have similar temp and duration. There is more than enough similarities to warrant a comparison. By no means is anyone saying that they're identical songs. I don't see how comparing the two is "lazy".

Also, please explain the terminology of "linear power chord riffs". How is Vertigo chorus a linear power chord riff and boots not?

For me, Vertigo is and always was a fairly weak song. I find that it just starts, chugs along and stops. It doesn't take me anywhere, it doesn't really make me think too hard, it's in one ear and out the other... It was OK to jump up and down to live but otherwise it's not something I'd choose to listen to too often.

GOYB starts, picks you up and takes you on a wild ride with a few crazy swerves thrown in for good measure before spitting you out, exhausted at the end. I think it's much more dynamic, exciting, dramatic piece of music. I love the mixture of darkness and light in the lyrics. I feel like I've actually DONE something after listening to it, probably because it needs just a little bit of focus and concentration to really enjoy.

The one thing that i'm slightly worried about is just how different the same track sounds over different speakers/headphones. Ive been listening to GOYB over a serious external soundcard and monitor standard speakers and it blows my mind. I just went back to my ipod and fairly decent earphones. Not the same experience AT ALL.... :angry: I'm hoping its just a poor standard MP3 I have - roll on the high quality version appearing on UK iTunes.

please stop being so preachy. It's natural to compare the two as they are both lead singles off their last two respective albums. Although musically different, they are both similar as you mentioned in a) being riff driven, and, b) phrase singing. Also include the similarity that both songs have similar temp and duration. There is more than enough similarities to warrant a comparison. By no means is anyone saying that they're identical songs. I don't see how comparing the two is "lazy".

Also, please explain the terminology of "linear power chord riffs". How is Vertigo chorus a linear power chord riff and boots not?

You're right they were both the lead off single, so in that respect they are comparable as well.

But to say this song borrows from Vertigo, which 2 people at least have said in this thread is downright lazy.

Vertigo is linear in the since that it doesn't really go anywhere, which is fine nothing wrong with that, but it's just a series of little power chord riffs.

verse chorus bridge pretty typical structure, Boots goes somewhere and leaves the riff at times and comes back, it's not as straight forward as Vertigo.

But for anyone to say this song borrows from Vertigo is being very short sighted and they should really look at other riff based U2 songs like Disco, Big Girls, or Fly to try and draw their comparisons...

I can add a poll but it seems kind of silly since Boots has only been out for like a day.

You've got another month and a half to change your mind about 50 times. I already have and its been ONE day.

All the comparisons to Vertigo are lazy. GOYB is its own song. Now if we are talking about one versus the other then I can see that. But even then it would be tough. Vertigo is probably a better single because it is much catchier and easily accessible to the casual listener. That being said, GOYB is probably the better song due to the much better lyrics and deeper darker sonic layering. It grows on you, but I doubt it'll grow on everyone like Vertigo did....but thats okay for me because I don't care about the popular opinion. GOYB won't top the charts IMO but it will prepare people for whats next....honestly thats probably all the band wanted to do with this single. Its not like they're out to prove anything like the last two first album singles.

The Fly did the same thing.

A little too edgy to go all the way but a good introduction to ... what's next.

Luv your Icon Quiv, reminds me of this:

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?"

I don't think a great song has to "grow" on you...the first time I heard Fly...I was hooked, plain and simple. Like the first time I heard "I Will Follow", and decided I should check U2 out...

I like both.

I voted for Vertigo.

I just liked Vertigo better at the same point of the Bomb matriculation.

I'm too lazy right now and probably not smart enough musically to provide a thesis or a paragraph explaining why.

I like poll threads.

And I also like pears way better than onions.

Back
Top Bottom