GOYB lyrics Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be. Or maybe even just any soldier or bomber in general---that it doesn't phase them at all.

Yeah, I think it could have multiple meanings (with suicide bombing being the clearest). That's what I like to see from the B man!

Lyrics now available on U2.com:

GET ON YOUR BOOTS

The future needs a big kiss
Winds blows with a twist
Never seen a moon like this
Can you see it too?

Night is falling everywhere
Rockets at the fun fair
Satan loves a bomb scare
But he won’t scare you

Hey, sexy boots
Get on your boots, yeah

You free me from the dark dream
Candy floss ice cream
All our kids are screaming
But the ghosts aren’t real

Here’s where we gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity
If joy is real

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know how beautiful you are
You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?

That’s someone’s stuff they’re blowing up
We’re into growing up
Women of the future
Hold the big revelations

I got a submarine
You got gasoline
I don’t want to talk about wars between nations

Not right now

Hey sexy boots...
Get on your boots, yeah
Not right now
Bossy boots

Hey sexy boots
I don’t want to talk about the wars between the nations
Sexy boots, yeah

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Yeah hey hey

My basic interpretation of the song right now is that it is an ironic attack on a lot of people in the west who are ignoring western hegemony and just 'living for the moment'.

It's about the politics of fear amongst other things. The flip-side of war and how we can counteract it by mocking the devil. Bono has been fascinated by this for some time, how kids in Sarajevo went about their business on a Saturday night, clubbing while rockets fell etc.

I think it's Bono saying okay, things can be seen as bad and I am as guilty as anyone for bringing that to the public's attention, but we like to have a laugh too.
In interviews recently he's said that sometimes he's sick of himself because he comes across as serious and a bit one issue preachy, so IMO this song presents the other side of him as a person, the one that likes a drink and a late night. We know it exists, maybe the casual fan needs to know it's there too, hence the first single...

I think that this is to HTDAAB that AB was to JT... It's sexier, a night record - a reaction...

Hey sexy boots...
Get on your boots, yeah
Not right now
Bossy boots

Hey sexy boots
Sexy boots, yeah
Maybe Sexy Boots actually refers to a person?

With the addition of "Bossy Boots" in the lyrics, not mentioned before I think.

Could it be Condoleezza Rice?

Any other powerful warmongering women spring to mind?

who is beautiful but doesn't know it?

Who is Bono talking about in the chorus:

His wife?
America?
God?
Submarines?

I like how it is very ambiguous even ironic given the "you don't get it do you" part.

I am pretty sure it is America. The verses are about chaos and confusion, but this part is kind of him saying "Do you understand what could be?"

My take at least.

The "sexy boots" bit is not about Saturday night fuckme boots. It's about army/fighting boots, and in kind of a sarcastic way.

I think you said something like this last night, and I meant to respond to that post, but it got lost in the shuffle :reject: What I've always liked best about Bono's songwriting is his ability to try on different voices and tones. Why in a lot of ways the last two albums fell flat for me lyrically was because I don't think he was doing enough of that, and I love that this isn't the same Bono we see yakking with politicians--not on the surface, at least.

The song is still really fresh, but what's sticking out to me most right now is the mash-up between earnest lines and tongue-in-cheek ones--lines like "Never seen a moon like this / Can you see it too?" and "All our kids are screaming / but the ghosts aren't real." In a way, it reminds me of what would happen if Mr. MacPhisto tried to take over some of Bono's political work.

I think a lot of people will write this off as a throwaway tune simply because of the sound of it, but I'm loving the contradiction between the dance-friendly sound and the complexity of the lyrics. I also wonder how many women are going to nearly break their necks wearing their "sexy boots" to shows because they think that's all the song's about....

It's about the politics of fear amongst other things. The flip-side of war and how we can counteract it by mocking the devil. Bono has been fascinated by this for some time, how kids in Sarajevo went about their business on a Saturday night, clubbing while rockets fell etc.

This is exactly how I hear it, but I couldn't say it as well as you. It's not about a specific president or nation. But these scary times and how we react or should react to it.

decipher GOYB lyrics

Forgive me if this is wrong place to talk about this: So what do you think the lyrics mean in GOYB? Here's my two cents on some of the words.
Winds blows with a twist
Can you see it too?
"the future needs a big kiss" ... we've got a long way to go against poverty and such ... "winds blow" ... the window of change blow the democrats into office ... "with a twist" ... the first african american president ... "never seen a moon like this" ... refers to the once in a blue moon opportunity of these events ... "can you see it too?" ... are you aware of this historical moment?
Rockets at the fun fair
Satan loves a bomb scare
But he won’t scare you
"Night is falling everwhere" ... it's dusk (????) ... "rockets at the fun fair" ... there's a loud unexpected explosion of fireworks at the county fair Bono has taken his family to as a slight escape from the scary world and big issues of life (???) ... "satan loves a bomb scare" ... loud explosions at an irish fair could well be bombs, especially with attacks in europe by various terrorist bombings, evil loves to threaten and fear ... "but he won't scare you" ... Bono is startled, but his wife is unphased, confident, fearless
Hey, sexy boots
Get on your boots, yeah
"Hey, sexy boots" ... hello confident, fearless woman ... "Get on your boots, yeah" ... you're right, I need to man up and be fearless, get on my boots, face the world and live life
Candy floss ice cream
"You free me from the dark dream" ... with his family, but his mind on heavier things, his wife snaps him out of it, calls him to the present moment ... "candy floss ice cream" ... more signs of the lightness, fun of the escapist fair ... "All our kids are screaming, but the ghosts aren't real" ... in contrast to the scary world of continuing war (justified or otherwise), Bono notices his kids screaming at the enjoyment of spook houses and rollercoasters.
Here’s where we gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity
If joy is real
"Here's where we gotta be" ... look at my family and kids at the fair ... "Love and community" ... enjoying themselves, being together in love, this is what we need to foster in the world ... "Laughter is eternity, if joy is real" ... this must be a taste of what heaven is like, i wish this moment could last forever ... "
"You don't know how beautiful you are" ... Wow, look at my wife, family and friends ... this is life, this is love, you have no idea how much you strengthen me, when the world is dark ... you are such a light to me, a real hope.
We’re into growing up
Women of the future
Hold the big revelations
"That's someone's stuff they're blowing up" ... back to reality, there are wars and rumors of wars, and Bono's getting tired of it. His whole life and artist discography shows his desire for people to stop the fighting and come together and peace and respect .... "We're into growing up" ... we've been at the fighting for too long, it's time to be adults not children, and stop fighting ... "Women of the future" ... mothers (???) ... "Hold the big revelations" ... if we can teach our children not to fight, that will be the real test of our wisdom
I got a submarine
You got gasoline
Not right now
"I got a submarine" even with the hope my family gives me, I still grow tired of this world and want to escape, and I have the mode of transport ... "you got gasoline" ... you have the fuel for our escape, let's escape this mess together, let's have some fun... "I don't want to talk about wars between nations" ... self explanitory ... "not right now" ... I want to make some music
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound
"Let me in the sound" ... To put it simply ... Looking for the sound that gonna drown out the world ... "God, I'm going down" ... this world is wearing me out with people dying and I can't stop it all ... "I don't wanna drown now" ... I need to get my head out of all this serious thinking "Meet me in the sound" ... Let's get lost in the moment and have some fun in the music.

Who is Bono talking about in the chorus:

His wife?
America?
God?
Submarines?

I like how it is very ambiguous even ironic given the "you don't get it do you" part.

humans. i am thinking its the your made in God's image thing, that is a pretty enormous part of Christian theology. maybe not, but i always go to the obvious religious interpretation. maybe just the way i see it, that is where i went immediately opon hearing it.

Could be called Get on Your Booze

Quick reaction to GOYB. Seems like it could be called Get on Your Booze because the lyrics are a strikingly good-times style. Plus, boots has always seemed to be such a silly word. The only boots I own are made for mild Midwest winters - they're not sexy, more practical than anything.

"I don't want to talk about wars between nations / Not right now" is suggesting be less serious, laugh more. Living in the cultural hub of Southeast Ohio, politics are frequent bar talk, but the idea is the same.

In the spirit of tomorrow, remember to ask not what what your country can do for you, but go make a difference yourselves. Actually, I do like the title Get on Your Boots because it seems similar to a motto I tell my close friends, "Tie your shoes and get the fuck out the door."

Yeah, probably. Just having some fun with it :)

Great drums, bass, and guitar. Bono sounds good, as well. It'll be great to hear on the radio.

I think the song is much deeper than what people read into. It's not just a "rock song", it's something more than that. "Some Days Are Better Than Others" was throwaway, this is actually quite deep.

It's a condemnation of war and terrorism tactics, as well as the media and public reaction to it. Bono's "never seen a moon like this", where things are as dark as they are. Because, though he lived through the Vietnam War and the troubles in Ireland, there was political action being demanded from the public. We're living in times where, at least in America, the youth is largely indifferent to anything political (before you youngsters try and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm 22. And I am definitely ashamed of the apathy of my generation.)

"Satan loves a bomb scare" is definitely a reference to suicide bombers/the WMD issue of the Iraq War. "Sexy boots", as stated above, is super sarcastic, implying army boots. But I think it's a double sided image: the image of army boots, and soldiers fighting.

But also the image that Bono stated in 2004: "these are not sandals on my feet. I'm no hippie. These are boots. I come from punk rock." The "boots" seem to be those punk rock boots, it's Bono urging the public to "Get their boots on" and get involved, politically.

Here's my verse by verse breakdown:

GET ON YOUR BOOTS

Winds blows with a twist
Can you see it too?

- "The future needs a big kiss" because we've never seen times like this. Times are dark and things need to get better quickly.

Rockets at the fun fair
Satan loves a bomb scare
But he won’t scare you

- I find "fun fair" to be sarcastic as well. Bono seems to be mocking the idea that the youth is generally uninterested in politics and have become intensely materialistic. Anyone who turns on MTV at any hour of the day can see this. "Satan loves a bomb scare but he won't scare you" means that terrorists are aiming to drive fear into the hearts of citizens, but the youth doesn't care because they don't pay attention. The only people scared by terrorists are people Bono's age because they're the only ones paying attention!

Hey, sexy boots
Get on your boots, yeah

Candy floss ice cream

- This seems to be the most blatant condemnation of the young generation. "You free me from the dark dream: candy, floss, ice cream." It's a condemnation of how bubblegum the music scene has become. Bono grew up with Dylan, with "Fortunate Son", and other huge political anthems. The United States, in particular, is in the throes of a massive recession and war and what are the young people listening to? "Got Money", "Stacks on deck, Patron on ice, you can have whatever you like..." It's all materialistic, bubblegum shit. The kids go nuts for it but "the ghosts aren't real", as in the songs have no substance.

Here’s where we gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity
If joy is real

- Bono's utopian message: stop killing eachother.

- Again, "you don't get it. You don't see how beautiful you are. Why are you killing eachother and making so much ugliness?"

We’re into growing up
Women of the future
Hold the big revelations

- "That's someone's stuff they're blowing up" seems to personalize the war experience. We're not just bombing Iraq, we're destroying the lives of the citizens who live there. Of course, the line can work against suicide bombers and terrorists as well: it's not just a political statement you're making, you're murdering people.

Still not sure what the "women of the future" line is about though.

I got a submarine
You got gasoline
Not right now

- Again, a blatant war reference. "I got a submarine, you got gasoline, this is the perfect recipe for an explosive war." But he doesn't want to talk about war. That's not his solution. Not right now. His solution is disarmament.

Hey sexy boots...
Get on your boots, yeah
Not right now
Bossy boots

Hey sexy boots
Sexy boots, yeah

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Yeah hey hey

- Bono seems to make one last plea for the youth. "Let me in the sound." As in "listen to us. Let us in the debate. Let's get political. Forget about the Womanizer, forget about the Patron you have on ice, forget about the lollipops. We're here to talk about important stuff - LISTEN to us, or people like us."

It seems to be a song raging against both the dark climate of the world right now, and the complete indifference of youth culture towards the significance of the times we're living in.

These are very interesting interpretations, some great points, make me think about the lyrics a lot.

I think it's VERY wrong to declare these lyrics simple, light, throwaway type lyrics, it's U2 after all.

There certainly is a war theme there, and it us mixed with Bono's personal life and experience, images from his family life. I like the contrast between more serious images like bombs and the more lighthearted ones, like the scenery of a fun fair. There is the contradiction between reality and illusion. Reading the lyrics I feel the disire to escape into a world full of laughter, love, community and ghosts that are not real, but there is always the "real world" outside with wars, violence, injustice.

I think it's VERY wrong to declare these lyrics simple, light, throwaway type lyrics, it's U2 after all.

There certainly is a war theme there . . .

I love how there can be several interpretations, all of which seem to be pretty heavy. This is no throwaway song.

:up:

I agree completely. From my first or second listen, when I could start to discern some lyrics, I thought Yes. He's back to politics. He says he doesn't want to talk about politics, not right now, but that's what he pretty much does throughout the song in nice, subtle ways. Perhaps, because he feels he has to? Perhaps, because he feels he hasn't been talking about them enough on recent songs?

Any way you dice it, these are not light-hearted, stream of consciousness lyrics; though they may seem that way, I think these lyrics were well thought out.

Great thread, and I love your interpretations.

I also love how many people claim on their first listen that the lyrics are shitty, poppy and people compare them to songs like Britney spears and beyonce. wtf?

Candy floss ice cream

I see this as a reference to all the party style drugs that "kids" are doing these days.

Back
Top Bottom