Grammy awards 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kanye said that Beyonce should've won the award, I personally think all the major award should've gone to all the grunge bans like Nirvana, PJ and SG in the early 90s.

But look at how their egos make them behave! Can't you see that their behaviour is completely different?

Bono grandstands at awards shows, but find me an instance where he jumps up on stage and turns the award being given into something about him.

Find me an instance of Bono ranting about how a musician needs to respect art and give their award away or he'll stop coming to awards shows.

Find me an instance of Bono comparing himself to some of the greatest minds that have lived. And then find me one where he goes on at length about it.

Find me an instance where he refers to himself as a genius! Never happened. He thinks his band is great, and gives credit to the band.

Find me an instance of him complaining at length about the injustice of not having an opportunity he wanted, despite not having any qualifications.

Suppose that Bono does have a God complex. At least his has made him sacrifice his art and reputation to make the world a better place. Kanye just wants to make leather track pants.

They're egotistical alpha males, but that's where the similarities end. Basically, Bono seems like a nice person. He doesn't bully people. Kanye is a bully. Bono wants to help the sick and poor (and is successful at that). Kanye wants us to know how great he is.

I agree with this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I know is if the Grammys want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us. We ain't gonna play with them no more. 'Flawless,' Beyoncé video. Beck needs to respect artistry and he should have given his award to Beyoncé, and at this point, we tired of it.

Because what happens is, when you keep on diminishing art and not respecting the craft and smacking people in the face after they deliver monumental feats of music, you're disrespectful to inspiration, and we as musicians have to inspire people who go to work every day and they listen to that Beyoncé album and they feel like it takes them to another place.

As per Kanye West - Imagine what he would have stated if he had been up for Album of The Year. It was an insult to Beck who has been making music for the better part of 20 years - some of it in the limelight some of it not.

People can defend this behavior all they want - it is that of the classic bully, or the spoiled child that doesn't get the gifts they want at Christmas.

It was an insult to not only those in the Album of The Year Category but to all those artists that had won awards on the night. I hope they never have Kanye West back at the Grammy's - forever would be too soon.

I suspect U2 won't win any Grammys for SOI, hope SOE does better but at this point and U2 having won so many Grammy Awards in the past it will have to be mind blowing for the masses and I think at this point that would be a minor miracle.

Of course I've heard Kanye's music. It's OK. By current hip hop standards it's decent, but he's not exactly playing in the premiership right now

hahahahahahahahaha what?

Question: Why does Kanye refer to himself as Yeezus? This seems a little delusional to dress up as Jesus. It's a calculated move for attention vs actual artistic merit.
Of course why stop there, hey I'll just say "I Am God" :doh:

I suppose John Lennon was fine to suggest The Beatles were more popular than Jesus, though :rolleyes:

I actually have no problem with people disliking Kanye's music. But I cannot fucking stand the character assassinations which are based on pure ignorance.

This thread is better than the actual Grammys telecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, I have seen you use this cute little line "Reading is FUNdamental" numerous times in other threads. I get that this is you're go-to put down but cool it because that joke isn't funny anymore. The other thing is leave Hollow Island and other U2 fans alone. In case you haven't noticed, this is a U2 fan forum so obviously people will defend U2 in conversation.

Hey guys, if you like Kanye, that's cool but don't start lashing out at others in this community because some of us don't like Yeezus, Mr. West or whatever self indulgent name he is using now.

I believe there is a very nice Bang and Clatter thread where all you fan boys can gush over every move Kanye makes and every breath Kanye takes.

I must have missed the memo where you were elected exalted ruler of Interference, man you like telling others what to do and say.

First of all, I have seen you use this cute little line "Reading is FUNdamental" numerous times in other threads. I get that this is you're go-to put down but cool it because that joke isn't funny anymore. The other thing is leave Hollow Island and other U2 fans alone. In case you haven't noticed, this is a U2 fan forum so obviously people will defend U2 in conversation.

Hey guys, if you like Kanye, that's cool but don't start lashing out at others in this community because some of us don't like Yeezus, Mr. West or whatever self indulgent name he is using now.

I believe there is a very nice Bang and Clatter thread where all you fan boys can gush over every move Kanye makes and every breath Kanye takes.

Take your own advice. If you post shit about artists others are passionate about (believe it or not it is possible to enjoy more artists than U2) you can't have a whinge when they step in to defend them. You post something, you can get called out as well. Just because this is a U2 forum doesn't mean you're immune :shrug:

4 Real?

I noticed that Kanye didn't have any criticism for Pharrell (winner of best urban contemporary album) nor did he try to snatch the Music Film Grammy from Lisa Fischer... Is he racist? :hmm:

Is he racist? :hmm:

Kanye-Wests-Selfie-With-Seahawks-Fans-e1422842800158.jpg

Last edited:
I mean, that's part of what's so fucking dumb about this, she won 3 out of the 5 Grammys she was nominated for. Seriously. She wasn't robbed.

Anyways, if you want my personal conspiracy theory about the whole thing, I honest to God believe Kanye was joking. But I think his ego/self-esteem got the better of him and when he (drunkenly) had the opportunity, later, he tried to make a statement, lest the mask fall on this whole persona he's created, and heaven forbid, the world actually see Kanye for a guy who just likes to laugh like the rest of us.

But that's just me.

I haven't watched all the times that U2 have received awards, but I sort of remember that lately when they receive an important award Bono always says nice things about the other nominees first. (But maybe I have selective memory :shifty:)

I've seen a video of Bono getting best alt. album of the year in 1994, and I remember he said that he wanted to see Smashing Pumpkins getting the award (for Siamese Dream, perhaps?).

Ah, the cat is finally out of the bag. The passive aggressive bullshit in other posts was growing stale.

The way people are allowed on this forum to say whatever they want about (some) other forum members has always bewildered me.

Kanye is a very good producer and a pretty mediocre rapper.
And his shtick is already growing tiresome.

I absolutely LOVED Beck back in the days of Odelay and One foot in the grave.
To be honest, I haven't even listened to more than 4 songs of Morning Phase, but there's no doubt the man deserves the recognition.

But look at how their egos make them behave! Can't you see that their behaviour is completely different?

Bono grandstands at awards shows, but find me an instance where he jumps up on stage and turns the award being given into something about him.

Find me an instance of Bono ranting about how a musician needs to respect art and give their award away or he'll stop coming to awards shows.

Find me an instance of Bono comparing himself to some of the greatest minds that have lived. And then find me one where he goes on at length about it.

Find me an instance where he refers to himself as a genius! Never happened. He thinks his band is great, and gives credit to the band.

Find me an instance of him complaining at length about the injustice of not having an opportunity he wanted, despite not having any qualifications.

Suppose that Bono does have a God complex. At least his has made him sacrifice his art and reputation to make the world a better place. Kanye just wants to make leather track pants.

They're egotistical alpha males, but that's where the similarities end. Basically, Bono seems like a nice person. He doesn't bully people. Kanye is a bully. Bono wants to help the sick and poor (and is successful at that). Kanye wants us to know how great he is.

Absolutely :up:

Bono has a big ego and it may be irritating at times, but if something says EGO in letters as big as the Great Wall of China it's definitely Kayne West. He makes the concept of a big Ego - which does not necessarily have to be something negative - look really bad.

Well said.

Also, I stand corrected...he didn't say "George Bush Hates black people" he said, he doesn't care about them but the statement is still a ridiculous one to make during a fundraiser. I must have incorrectly remembered that event....but I do recall the time I was on a helicopter and was flying in to cover the Invasion of Iraq and we were hit by an RP......oh, wait.
Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Brian, I really hope you aren't going to hang here the entire 6 mos!

I would really like it if you could provide other examples of me using my alleged "go to put down." It's certainly possible that I've used it before, but yea, can't really say it's a common phrase of mine.

Don't really think it's a put down, either. Maybe I'm wrong there, too. I didn't call him a douchebag or an ass hat. I merely pointed out that I had already responded to his exact questions in the post that he was replying to.

I also pointed out how lovely it was that Mr. West could make a poster who, let's be perfectly honest, has a tendency to post on and on about how terrible everything U2 has done since they sold out back in 1981, actually come running to the defense of U2! What a wonderful thing! I wouldn't think that would offend anyone, especially those self righteous "this never would have happened when I was a mod" posters among us.

See, as I've already stated, I don't like Kanye West. I respect his ability, but his act has grown tired on me.

All I was doing was merely pointing out the irony of U2 fans bashing an artist for having an over the top God complex, when the lead singer of U2, tremendous humanitarian that he may be, has an over the top God complex himself. One that he's readily admitted to, too.

Yes, their tactics are often quite different. And Bono has certainly grown to learn the art of subtly as he's grown older.

But if we're talking about an artist with a God complex, who thinks they're bigger than all other artists, who makes controversial statements at the Grammy's, who wears odd costumes on stage meant to make some sort of artistic statement, who has the audacity to think that everyone in the world would and should want to hear his music because of how great it is, who's over the top personality has made him an incredibly divisive personality, where it seems most either love him or hate him?

Bono? Check.

Kanye? Check.

Didn't mean to bug ya, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom