Embarrassing Former Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a similar experience the first time I was up close to Springsteen.

Yeah Bruce is short also. Vedder is another mini front man.

Though from my experience, Iggy Pop and Eddie Van Halen make Bono and Bruce seem like behemoths when you meet them. Those 2 men are very short and very slight of stature to boot.

I've met my fair share and I think Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee are the only rockers I've met that were noticeably taller than my 5'11".
A few others are similar height (Townshend, Plant, Cherone, Ament come to mind), but most have been shorter.

I used to pretend I disliked HTDAAB just to fit in with the cool kids on Interference.

I'm glad you've come clean in regard to not disliking Bomb. It definitely gets a bad rap here. And way back in 2004, most people loved it here. But, hey, we could get plenty of folks coming forward here in EFO who regard liking Bomb as "embarrassing". :wink:

In your case, looking far down.

Its a combination of the physical stage an the larger than life persona. You see him and other rock stars on stage, they are elevated, and of course just the whole big persona thing.

Yeah, that, and they were filmed well and photographed well. At least back then (1992-1994 obsessive years) that's really all I had to go off before internet and more exposure to photos and footage of the band.

Hmm, I think this could qualify for this topic. I used to absolutely hate, hate hate One. But as it turns out, that was only as I got into the band as Bomb dropped and the Vertigo tour performances were absolute shite. When I saw it live on 360, something clicked and the hate was gone. Now it's still not my favourite U2 song at all, but it's pretty ok.

In 1993 I was so entrenched in my own fascination their '80s history (I didn't become a fan until 1992, so I was backtracking) and my fascination with U2 1980-1989 that when Zooropa came out I kind of wished they would return to a more guitar based sound...

i thought ATYCLB was the one "pop" album they needed to purge themselves of before returning to their Punk Rock from Venus

That "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" is the single best U2 song. And I still hold this belief.

Is this embarrassing though?
Absolutely not. It's my favorite as well. I cannot rank numbers 2 to 20 though...
While standing in line for my first U2 show, someone asked me about my favorite song. I said "One". Still like One, but definitely not my favorite. I just couldn't come up with anything else.
Oh, and of course stating that NLOTH was one of their best because most coherent albums. Oh well, I didn't say that for very long.
I definitely agree on the height issue. First time Bono was standing infront of me, I was a bit surprised to say the least. As a side note, I'm so glad he finally ditched the platform shoes!! I prefer him shorter but wearing regular shoes/boots/sneakers.

wait don't people mostly make fun of Pet Shop Boys? or am i listening too much opinions off of metal heads/incompetent hard rock lovers?

Release was good album, though. It had some guitar work done by Johnny Marr in it. and I am a fan of the Smiths, so.

Upon first familiarizing myself with U2's discography (and to be more specific--"Achtung, Baby""), I thought UTEOTW was a totally filler track (there's a Yahoo user review of the album somewhere out there with, I'm sure, a handful of other dopey opinions from me).

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Achtung Baby does not have a comma. Or an exclamation mark.

I just needed to put that out there.

hush, you. I'm keepin' it. can't stop this rebel train. Choo-choo

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom