Disappearing Act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how perfect are songs like Slug, Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, and Theme From Let's Go Native?
All of them are :drool::drool::drool:.
then again, we might just really like that type of atmospheric music.

Indeed. U2's foray into true ambient music produced some incredible results, largely because they had Bono's voice to work with which really fit the album.

All of them are :drool::drool::drool:.

Indeed. U2's foray into true ambient music produced some incredible results, largely because they had Bono's voice to work with which really fit the album.

agreed. I just dont think it worked all the time and I think SOME people get carried away with that

Now dad, come on, I did say SOME people here.

It would be highly strange if 100's of people who are predisposed to like the music of U2 so much that they make 1000's of posts on a u2 fan site actually prefer the atmospheric stuff that is as far remvoed from u2 as they can get
now listen son, i don't really think os1 is really that far removed from the likes of zooropa, though. i don't even think it's terribly far removed from their more atmospheric stuff in the 80s, and some tracks on no line even feel like they have roots in passengers. cedars sounds a lot like corpse, for example.

besides, the way i see it, passengers is a u2 album.

now listen son, i don't really think os1 is really that far removed from the likes of zooropa, though. i don't even think it's terribly far removed from their more atmospheric stuff in the 80s, and some tracks on no line even feel like they have roots in passengers. cedars sounds a lot like corpse, for example.

besides, the way i see it, passengers is a u2 album.

It is though, The ones you mention are pop/rock songs with atmospheric influences. OS1 is an atmospheric/ambient album played by a pop/rock band.

I see it as an Eno record with U2

It is though, The ones you mention are pop/rock songs with atmospheric influences. OS1 is an atmospheric/ambient album played by a pop/rock band.

Then Brian Eno has an excellent addition to his discography. Does it really matter if we classify it as U2, Passengers, Brian Eno, U2 with Brian Eno, Brian Eno with U2, U2 plus Brian Eno minus Larry Mullen, or anything else?

i guess i see it as a more natural progression from achtung baby -> zooropa -> passengers.

i guess it's how you want to label it then. i see it as a u2 album and appreciate it as such. i mean, it's got all of the usual u2 collaborators, but the name throws people.

true that.

I think some amazing things came from the sessions. I just don't think everything they did was shitting golden nuggets.

I would have loved an 8 track EP/ short album that had the best cuts.

What would have been really interesting is if U2 had gone the direction that Eno was hoping for after OS1 instead of towards Pop... I remember him saying that he thought songs like Slug and Miss Sarajevo were the "future of U2", and then he saw U2 as The Village People on TV.

Now dad, come on, I did say SOME people here.

It would be highly strange if 100's of people who are predisposed to like the music of U2 so much that they make 1000's of posts on a u2 fan site actually prefer the atmospheric stuff that is as far remvoed from u2 as they can get

I find I like U2's two extremes the most. It's no secret I'm a fan of U2's atmospheric side, and the more atmospheric they get, the better. I have said in the past that I wish they had gone further with the UF/Captive direction, and in many ways Passengers does that. I also love U2's more intense side, whether that's the early post-punk of Boy or the seriously rockin' God Part II, The Fly, HMTMKMKM, Gone kind of work.

What I dislike is the bland middle ground, and I feel like U2 have wallowed in that middle ground all too much, especially in the first half of this decade.

I reckon that you need to be consistent and classify Passengers the same way you'd classify UF. Now, I often joke that they're both "Brian Eno featuring U2". But in seriousness, I'd classify them both as U2 albums.

Ehh, TUF is definitely less straight-up-Eno than OS1 is. Songs like Bad, Pride, ASOH, Wire, and ISS are all outside of normal Eno-fare, and are very different than OS1, but they all have strong Eno influences, and his hand is obvious in the production. I love both albums... probably TUF somewhat more, though.

Also, Dan Lanois seriously needs to be thanked for what he did especially with Adam and Larry on TUF.

Yeah, no matter how much anyone was invovled in either project, one is classified U2, and one passengers. If that is the only distinction (and it isnt btw) then they can't be grouped the same

stop and take a moment to think about what you just said.

what i was suggesting is that the quick improvisations and recording sessions from OS1 may be in line with the quick improvisation and recording session done for Disappearing Act over a couple summer days in France.

perfection sometimes comes out of quick improvisations and experimentation. Something I feel is part of Disappearing Act.

if you think all this talk is bullshit just let me know. maybe i'm out in left field.

Of course Slug and Your Blue Room grab all the headlines as they are some of U2's best songs, but other more atmosphetic and slightly eerie songs like A Different Kind Of Blue, Corpse, One Minute Warning and Theme from The Swan are the ones that really make the album for me, even Elvis Ate America kind of seems right on Passengers surrounded by all these songs of a completely different musical nature. OS1 is and probably always be in my top 5 U2 albums, right now it's number 3.

Of course Slug and Your Blue Room grab all the headlines as they are some of U2's best songs, but other more atmosphetic and slightly eerie songs like A Different Kind Of Blue, Corpse, One Minute Warning and Theme from The Swan are the ones that really make the album for me, even Elvis Ate America kind of seems right on Passengers surrounded by all these songs of a completely different musical nature. OS1 is and probably always be in my top 5 U2 albums, right now it's number 3.

Agreed.

One Minute Warning :drool:

what i was suggesting is that the quick improvisations and recording sessions from OS1 may be in line with the quick improvisation and recording session done for Disappearing Act over a couple summer days in France.

perfection sometimes comes out of quick improvisations and experimentation. Something I feel is part of Disappearing Act.

if you think all this talk is bullshit just let me know. maybe i'm out in left field.
oh, i understand where you're coming from now.

yeah, we're cool

i applaud them for picking up the pieces of a 26 year old track and reworking it in short time. The song may have been highly unstructured and in bits and pieces over several recording tracks knowing it touched the hands of Brian Eno and Danny Lanois. Be it 26 years, 26 weeks, 26 hours, U2 music is timeless.

I don't know how I missed this. I'm really late to the party.

This song sounds unbelievable. Especially that weird whistling guitar (?) noise after what seems to be the chorus.

Agreed. I wonder how much of the outtakes are from 1984 and how much have been added in 2009. "Wave of Sorrow" seems like it was an entire instrumental track from 1987, just with Bono's new lyrics and vocals added in 2007. This seems more updated.

I find I like U2's two extremes the most. It's no secret I'm a fan of U2's atmospheric side, and the more atmospheric they get, the better. I have said in the past that I wish they had gone further with the UF/Captive direction, and in many ways Passengers does that. I also love U2's more intense side, whether that's the early post-punk of Boy or the seriously rockin' God Part II, The Fly, HMTMKMKM, Gone kind of work.

What I dislike is the bland middle ground, and I feel like U2 have wallowed in that middle ground all too much, especially in the first half of this decade.

I reckon that you need to be consistent and classify Passengers the same way you'd classify UF. Now, I often joke that they're both "Brian Eno featuring U2". But in seriousness, I'd classify them both as U2 albums.

I agree so strongly with everything you just said!!!! :applaud:

There's something vaguely Achtung Baby about the lyric, isn't there? Lepers and beds... and songs about relationships like this weren't really the kind of songs Bono often wrote back in 1984 were they?

Is this song a 2009 Bono vocal on top of a 1984 instrumental? Sounds like it to me.

Good song, though. :up:

Back
Top Bottom