WILATW, Summer rain questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I'm not sure I quite follow the "when the night is someone elses..." verse of When I look at the world. Anyone?

Summer rain - any interpretations?

U2girl said:
I'm not sure I quite follow the "when the night is someone elses..." verse of When I look at the world. Anyone?

I personally see it like it's nighttime, and you're here...but you might as well not be. You don't matter tonight. It's not your night...somebody else is shining, and you are in the shadows.

I see "Summer Rain" as being very inspirational. Sometimes, you need to be carefree and adventurous...explore what is around you...otherwise life is not worth living.

Hmmm...

With "When I Look At The World", I see this as a song where a person is reluctant to voice their opinions on all the issues of this world, even though someone is curious to hear their views, they're not sure they want to share them.

So the lines, "When the night is someone else's and you're trying to get some sleep" part...I see that as everyone else being opinionated on an issue, but the person who's reluctant to share their views wants to just forget about these topics of discussion, they want everyone to just drop the subject at hand and move on and let them be. Everyone else is making noise about something, and there's that one person who wants everyone to be quiet.

As for the "When your thoughts are too expensive to ever want to keep"-to me that sounds like he's saying that the person in that song's thoughts are too important to keep quiet...he's asking that person what they see in this world, what their opinions are of whatever's going on in this world, so he feels their thoughts are too important to not be expressed. They may be reluctant to share them, but they could give a whole new perspective on what's going on, or they could open up a solution to whatever problem's going on, so they should be shared.

Since ATYCLB took on a whole new meaning after 9/11, this interpretation could work with that event. Practically everyone was quick to voice their opinions on what should be done and who should be punished and whether or not war was necessary and everything, but some people just wanted to forget about it, forgive, grieve, and move on with their lives.

However, those quiet ones who wanted to do that may have the best solutions to the problem at hand, since they were the most peaceful of everyone, the most willing, possibly, to forgive, so to hear their views would've been a good thing.

As for "Summer Rain", I agree with Bonochick. That song's basically saying to stop and smell the roses once in a while, to stay strong and stick to your beliefs and your way of life, to enjoy what life has to offer you.

Angela

I think that "When I Look at the World" is all about Ali and how in awe Bono has always been of her for what she does as a mother and in her social causes. The line, "when the night is someone else's" I think is about having kids and your time is never your own -- they get sick, cry, get hungry, have nightmares, millions of things at night and so it's just not possible to get a decent, restful night's sleep if you're a parent.

dsmith2904 said:
I think that "When I Look at the World" is all about Ali and how in awe Bono has always been of her for what she does as a mother and in her social causes. The line, "when the night is someone else's" I think is about having kids and your time is never your own -- they get sick, cry, get hungry, have nightmares, millions of things at night and so it's just not possible to get a decent, restful night's sleep if you're a parent.

That's a good one. Rather sweet, too. :).

Angela

I love the idea that WILATW is about Bono's awe of Ali. It makes the song that much sweeter.

Summer Rain is one of my favorites. I think it's very inspirational. Look at the beauty in the world, or you start dying. Do something risky; sitting in your house won't prolong your life at all.

I love, love, LOVE the last two stanzas (obviously...see location. ;) )

It's not why you're running
It's where you're going
It's not what you're dreaming
But what you're gonna do

It's not where you're born
It's where you belong
It's not how weak
But what will make you strong

These wrap up the entire theme of the song...get out and do it!! You might feel safer staying where you sit, but that doesn't mean you're living. Stop dreaming and do it! (Hey, that sounds kinda like Dream out loud!)

There are times when I need a daily dose of this song.

Schmeg said:
I love the idea that WILATW is about Bono's awe of Ali. It makes the song that much sweeter.

Summer Rain is one of my favorites. I think it's very inspirational. Look at the beauty in the world, or you start dying. Do something risky; sitting in your house won't prolong your life at all.

I love, love, LOVE the last two stanzas (obviously...see location. ;) )

It's not why you're running
It's where you're going
It's not what you're dreaming
But what you're gonna do

It's not where you're born
It's where you belong
It's not how weak
But what will make you strong

These wrap up the entire theme of the song...get out and do it!! You might feel safer staying where you sit, but that doesn't mean you're living. Stop dreaming and do it! (Hey, that sounds kinda like Dream out loud!)

There are times when I need a daily dose of this song.

I havent listened to Summer Rain for awhile but after reading this it seems like the perfect song for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom