White As Snow live...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silkensky

War Child
How fucking awesome could that have been in a stripped down piano rendition, and immediately following it the band launch into New Year's Day? Get the shivers just thinking about it. Shit, the 360 tour is long over but I'm still having dreams about stuff they could've tried or could try. Maybe next tour, though everybody will have forgotten WAS by then!!! Of course, that's not to say that many necessarily knew it in 2009 for that matter.

Somehow I've come to appreciate the stark beauty in this song after not being able to stand it for so long. This really should have been played back to back with New Year's Day on the last tour. Perfect companion tunes, IMHO, kind of the same way October was to NYD during many tours back in the '80's.

James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3itFCZ6Z58

I don't think the crowds would shut up long enough to enjoy it.

It's definitely a Top 25 U2 song. Despite the Christian metaphor, it's full of ambiguity. Love it.

I think this song probably would have bombed live (like YBR), so i can see why they didn't do it for the 360 tour, but i really wish they had done it at least once somewhere, and i agree playing it right before NYD would have been awesome.
It's the NLOTH songs like these that make me wish u2 had done a 'live from the basement' type show where they played the album in it's entirety.

Not in the epic piano/shimmer arrangement that I've envisioned. It'd be beautiful, trust me!

Ah well. Someday...maybe it could turn out to be a rediscovered gem like Miss Sarajevo. Till then it's fun to dream...

I love this song so much, it's my favourite song on NLOTH, such a dark beauty, simple and very moving. I would have loved to hear/see it live at least once, even though I agree with those who say it wouldn't be very much appreciated in a stadium environment. Makes me with they'd do more performances in a very intimate setting. Somehow I can imagine the song being performed with a string section - like the ONE performance of Bono in Amsterdam. That would be so beautiful. I don't think a piano rendition would do the song justice.

Not in the epic piano/shimmer arrangement that I've envisioned. It'd be beautiful, trust me!

Ah well. Someday...maybe it could turn out to be a rediscovered gem like Miss Sarajevo. Till then it's fun to dream...

Whatever you envision, can you record it? It sounds pretty interesting :wave:

I hope before they hang it up, U2 does a stripped-down tour or even a single show where they can perform some of there more intimate songs like "White As Snow". Great song, but wasn't expecting it to be performed under that claw. Did anyone?

I hope before they hang it up, U2 does a stripped-down tour or even a single show where they can perform some of there more intimate songs like "White As Snow". Great song, but wasn't expecting it to be performed under that claw. Did anyone?

Willie wanted them to and don't they talk about it in the 360 Tour Program?

Like many of the NLOTH songs (except Crazy Remix & maybe Boots) livem the 360 tour lacked the visual stimulation that goes with many of their newer songs when played live in stadiums. Look at ZooTV thru Vertigo.

Picture this :)

Maybe 6-7th song within the set, after a big hit:

-Wind effects going on, screen & stage turns into a White Snowy Wonderland.

-Edge & Bono on the tip of stage, Edge begins guitar, Bono sings, maybe some kind of effect go off after 1st verse.

-When the horns come on (bridge), show horses running around the screen. (For some reason that part of the song reminds me of horses running)

-Have Bono stay at the tip of the stage singing last verse, repeating White As Snow.....White As Snow.....White As Snow.

-Go into New Years Day

I love WAS. Its a really awesome song. U2 doing Alt Country.

I love this song so much, it's my favourite song on NLOTH, such a dark beauty, simple and very moving. I would have loved to hear/see it live at least once, even though I agree with those who say it wouldn't be very much appreciated in a stadium environment. Makes me with they'd do more performances in a very intimate setting. Somehow I can imagine the song being performed with a string section - like the ONE performance of Bono in Amsterdam. That would be so beautiful. I don't think a piano rendition would do the song justice.

Are you my soulmate? This is exactly what I think about this song and the song in this topic. It's my fav NLOTH song and one of my U2 Top 20 definitely.

I'm not a fan anymore on those Bono/The Edge solo duets, but I have to admit that I would've like to listen to a Bono/The Edge acoustic version of this too.

I love this song so much, such a haunting, creative interpretation of an instantly recognizable melody, and juxtaposes the content of the original song with the dying soldier theme. Plus, how often do you hear one of the worlds biggest bands taking on a hymn? Or using French horn in rock? It doesn't hurt that O Come, O Come Emmanuel is far & away my favorite Christmas song.

I think this song probably would have bombed live (like YBR), so i can see why they didn't do it for the 360 tour, but i really wish they had done it at least once somewhere, and i agree playing it right before NYD would have been awesome.
It's the NLOTH songs like these that make me wish u2 had done a 'live from the basement' type show where they played the album in it's entirety.

I thought YBR bombed because it was a terrible version. Probably the worst live version of any U2 song. White As Snow would have been really good before NYD. Cedars into Please would be really good, too. They should do a From the Basement set. Maybe get Goderich to produce their record while they're at it! Have the FTB set be the album!

How about U2 does their own thing instead of trying to be Radiohead? And YBR was far from awful (I saw them play it in person) it 'bombed' because it's a largely ambient song from a mostly unknown side project that was played to stadium (read: casual) audiences.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom