when Bono's voice is on he is real good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes actually bono's voice was pretty good in 2003 right after the elevation tour - hr did electrical storm (great vocal and very good falsetto for the period) the hand the built america live on the today show was a powerful vocal than u got night and day which is just insane

I think after that during the recording of HTDAAB his voice weakened slightly look at the making of DVD his is very raspy

I think the same thing happened to him now - Look at the 5th leg prefomrances than Union Chappel - these are some of his best efforts ever (it seems so simple for him to sing) - I think his voice weakened again during the recording of NLOTH (maybe not as much) just like it did after 2003 (still he sounds great on NLOTH better and the vocals are his best in years) but i dont know if they are as good as some of his 2006/2007 vocals as those were just insane

so my theory is bono is the best right right after he comes off tour maybe

Does anyone have an mp3 or video of that Night and Day 2003 performance, I think its escaped me?

Comparing Liam to Bono in any way from any time period is laughable. I've come to the conclusion that Bono is the greatest rock singer in history. Yeah, I said it. Nobody can match the variation, dynamics, and power of Bono's voice. It's pure brilliance.

Comparing Liam to Bono in any way from any time period is laughable. I've come to the conclusion that Bono is the greatest rock singer in history. Yeah, I said it. Nobody can match the variation, dynamics, and power of Bono's voice. It's pure brilliance.

I agree. Sue me, Interference.

As good as Bono was in 2006, I have to say I'm blown away by a performance I just watched from 1986. The passion, vitality and, dare I say, innocence, in this performance makes it for me maybe the best ever...

YouTube - U2 : BAD - Live Dublin '86 ((Stereo))

To me this was what U2 was all about, and what drew me in to them in the first place. There's a real sense of "let's show the world" type urgency that comes with a band that feels it still has to, sincerely, introduce itself. U2 at its most pure... (And this is no knock at the current U2, by the way...it's just amazing to watch an old video like this and compare the exact same song and see the evolution.)

Yeah I'm with you, Bono is the main reason why I started singing in bands myself. All I'm saying is Liam circa 1995-1997 had a fabulous rock voice (which incidently coincides with the period at which Bono was at his vocally weakest) and is undeniably one of the most distinctive and recognisable voices in popular music.

We do have some of the live video, a portion of it anyways, though I don't see it on you tube at the moment, I have it in part of a MusiCares Medley. But no we have never had a full video.

I'm uploading it now. Unfortunately it's only the very end of the song. Sure would like the full performance someday.

Nice find, :up: Sheryl Crow belting AIWIY.

If NLOTH and the live performances since Vertigo tour are anything to go by, I think Bono will be sounding better than the last tour this time.

What do you guys think of Sting as a singer? How do you think he compare's to Bono? I know comparison's are rather irritating because everyone judges these things based on their own different criterea's but I just was wandering what people thought of Sting as a vocalist. I like Sting and when I've listened to him sometimes I do think that both sound as though they have similar type of voices. I prefer the heavier types of voices like Sting, Bryan Adams, Bono, Bowie, Robert Palmer, Peter Gabriel and Elvis more to the lighter voices to Tom York, Chris Martin, Morrisey, Billy Corgan, Anthony Hogerty or Freddie Mercury. They may have more flexible voices but I just prefer the richer textures and variety of tones of former singers.

Up until recently I used to think that Bono's voice was thinner that Sting's and that's what let him down. However I think it has improved

I'm with you.

Back
Top Bottom