when Bono's voice is on he is real good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
just thinking after watching some 5th leg performances from vertigo - when B is on he is better than any rock singer I have heard - He may not be as consistent but the tones that come out of him are soooo unique and so interesting. Somtimes his voice just sounds huge like he has no limit.

check this out at 453

YouTube - U2 Bad Live From Saitama Super Arena, Japan 12-04-2006

who the hell else ever sounded like that WOW!

Bad was incredible that night. That performance is my first or second favorite ever of the song.

just thinking after watching some 5th leg performances from vertigo - when B is on he is better than any rock singer I have heard - He may not be as consistent but the tones that come out of him are soooo unique and so interesting. Somtimes his voice just sounds huge like he has no limit.

check this out at 453

YouTube - U2 Bad Live From Saitama Super Arena, Japan 12-04-2006

who the hell else ever sounded like that WOW!

Great version, you must listen to 2005-04-25 - Seattle Version of Bad, his voice there is :drool:

The last Vertigo leg was one of the best ever, as far as Bono's voice is concerned. Great singing, powerful and emotional :up:

I would say that Liam Gallagher is a better rock singer, but Bono is a much better singer overall.

Bono seems less a rock-singer now than he was in the mid- to late-80s. But back then I think he was leagues ahead of almost anybody in the business. The thing with a singer like Liam Gallagher is that he sings in only one style, all the time. Yeah, it sounds great in context, but when the song is out of his comfort-zone it doesn't work. Even when he was young and 'untrained', Bono could handle ballads, soft-spoken vocals, throaty shouters, big anthems; you name it.

(To which I could also add that Liam's voice had hugely deteriorated in the live arena since about 2002, whilst Bono has remained more consistent and is even having a mid-life vocal resurgence.)

Just imagine Liam Gallagher singing 'With or Without You':
"With or without yeeeee-ooooooooooo! With or without yeeeee-ooooooooooo!"

Frightening...

I think Liam Gallagher circa 1995-1997 is pretty much as good as a 'rock singer' voice can get. Having said that he has gone majorly downhill since then.

That Bad performance is incredible though. The 'wide awake' notes are top-notch. Just compare that performance to the Boston 2001 version where he really does struggle, they're worlds apart!

Bono's vocal performances have been surprisingly good since 2003, and surprisingly incredible since mid-2006. He has absolutely no right to be singing as well as he his at his age!

once again i listend to NLOTH from that BBC broadcast .. the song sound sooo different live than on the album. Bono's voice is the best ever in yeaaarssss ... .Bono's voice is never the same compared with tours ...

He sounds the same in every song, like some said in a earlier post. He has no register.

Yeah but his voice is just pure attitude, power, cool and basically everything a rock n'roll voice should be. Yes Bono ultimately is better because he can adapt his voice to so many styles of music, but if you watch the Oasis at Maine Road DVD from 1995/96 Liam literally is untouchable imo. But the thing is if you already know that you dislike Oasis or really dislike Liam Gallagher, you probably might overlook that - same as people who hate Bono will never admit that actually he is a talented singer.

Yeah but his voice is just pure attitude, power, cool and basically everything a rock n'roll voice should be. Yes Bono ultimately is better because he can adapt his voice to so many styles of music, but if you watch the Oasis at Maine Road DVD from 1995/96 Liam literally is untouchable imo. But the thing is if you already know that you dislike Oasis or really dislike Liam Gallagher, you probably might overlook that - same as people who hate Bono will never admit that actually he is a talented singer.

I'd agree with that. But compare Liam Gallagher's voice on the Earls Court version of Cigarettes and Alcohol in 1995 to the version from the City Of Manchester Stadium 2005, his voice is just a withered husk of its old self due to improper singing technique/stance, smoking, drinking, coke and general wear and tear. So nowadays Bono wipes the floor with Liam IMO.

Back to the topic, indeed he sounded as powerful as he did in the 80s on that version.

I like Oasis, but he's a very limited singer, even big Oasis fans would have to admit this. I agree he has attitude, but I don't think he has much power. Bono's not better because he can adapt, he and other singers are better because they have more range and ability.

I like Oasis, but he's a very limited singer, even big Oasis fans would have to admit this. I agree he has attitude, but I don't think he has much power. Bono's not better because he can adapt, he and other singers are better because they have more range and ability.

I don't think big Oasis fans would admit that personally. Listen to Champagne Supernova or I am the Walrus off the Maine Road DVD and then tell me doesn't have much vocal power! As for Bono, that is pretty much what I was saying - he has the vocal ability to sing falsetto, soulful ballads and rip-roaring rock songs.

And to the poster above that, yeh - Liam's voice has unarguably deterioted quite badly, hence Noel dominating the vocal duties more and more as the years go by.

I don't think big Oasis fans would admit that personally. Listen to Champagne Supernova or I am the Walrus off the Maine Road DVD and then tell me doesn't have much vocal power!

Oh, what a god awful example to give to someone, that version of CS sucked, all sped up and Liam basically talked his way through it...:crack:

When I say power, vocally speaking, I mean they are able to put a lot of air behind their voice like a Bono, Vedder, Mercury, etc...

Oh, what a god awful example to give to someone, that version of CS sucked, all sped up and Liam basically talked his way through it...:crack:

Are we thinking of the same performance?? Well I thought it was pretty impressive, but what do I know...?

On the strength of the 'Miss Sarajevo' performances alone, Bono is a better singer.

To go from basically a pop vocal and than switching to an Opera vocal midsong and hitting 'that note' is just incredible. :up:

In A Lifetime, Conspiracy Of Hope 15-06-1986, some of The Lovetown Gigs: especially 26/12/1989, Night And Day 2003:drool:

Back
Top Bottom