What is the stupidest decision U2 has ever made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Australia pie and pizza are two completely different things so I wouldn't cast it in the same light as ATM machine. Pizza pie sounds like a deep dish pizza but I suppose it is region specific.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Hold on, pie also means the pie like apple, pumpkin, cherry etc. Plus, its also a slang for a woman's special part. :wink:

Doesn't that describe any U2 album ever? I think every U2 album sounds amazing to Interference once. Awful production, lyrics, sequencing, etc. are the kinds of things that hurt replay value, not necessarily the initial impression.

But I do agree that the Bomb era was, objectively, a massive success for the band.

?

It's most definitely their last acclaimed album despite the negativity it receives here.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Doesn't that describe any U2 album ever? I think every U2 album sounds amazing to Interference once. Awful production, lyrics, sequencing, etc. are the kinds of things that hurt replay value, not necessarily the initial impression.

I honestly believe that the circumstances play a bigger role than the technical or artistic merits of an album.

1. Modern Toilet Walls.
Probably if people wouldn't gather in this kind of forums many that now consider Bomb (ATYCLB, NLOTH...) a bad album, wouldn't think that. It's not one of my favourites, but I was totally surprised when I joined and saw the bad reputation that it has in here.

If we have had these forums in the early/mid 90's, probably people (don't think about you, think about the big 80's fans) would've bashed Zooropa (or, gasp, Achtung) to the ground.

(Not saying that there's anything wrong with the forums, just that they do affect the perception indeed).

2. Being there first surely helps.
Probably if they hadn't had to be compared against Joshua Tree AND Achtung Baby AND Zooropa, people would consider Bomb the best follow up to Joshua Tree ever. I mean, Bomb (Leave Behind, No Line) being released in the early 90's instead of 10 years later, thus rewriting the 90's.

Beautiful Day, COBL or Breathe would've picked it up right from where Streets left it. But by the time they came out we weren't actually expecting that, we were expecting them to follow up on their 90's selves, so they sound less exciting than -imho- what they actually are.

And in this hypothetical case, what about Achtung and Zooropa released in the new millenium, being compared against (arguably) not 10, but 20 solid years of the same classic U2 sound?... probably wouldn't be considered as great as we do now.

3. Time between albums
Probably if the follow up of Bomb had come in 2006 instead of 2009, Bomb would still be considered one of the very best albums by the majority of fans in here. Bomb is welcomed by the fans, it's considered great by the critics, it receives a lot of awards, it has a very successful tour and... here comes a new album! great.

But no, instead we had 3 more years to get bored of if, to overanalyze it, to compare it over and over with the previous eras, to start making snarky remarks in the forums, to build up on those remarks and so on.

Also, keep in mind that 3 internet years are way more than 3 pre-internet years. If after Achtung we have had to wait 5 years for Zooropa, with everybody posting on the forums, probably there would've been people totally tired of it.

---

So, maybe Bomb (or any album, for that matter) have problems in the production, lyrics, sequencing, etc, but I believe that those problems are magnified (or diminished) by the circumstances, and those circumstances in the end weigh more than their problems themselves.

Obviously, times have changed. Established artists don't usually release albums too close together anymore. First, they have to record the album and release it. Then there's the promotion of the album. Then there's the tour which could last up to 2 years. Then (gasp) they take time off. U2 were still touring for Bomb in 2006. Their last show was in December of that year.

Obviously, times have changed. Established artists don't usually release albums too close together anymore. First, they have to record the album and release it. Then there's the promotion of the album. Then there's the tour which could last up to 2 years. Then (gasp) they take time off. U2 were still touring for Bomb in 2006. Their last show was in December of that year.

Sure, that's not my point.
I'm not saying that they should've done things different or that that's what they need to do.
(Just like I'm not saying that they should release the next album back in 1980, so that it becomes their first album release).

I'm just saying that those inevitable circumstances have a clear effect on the perception we have of each album, so -imho- sometimes we're too harsh on the last few albums, not stopping to see that it's not just the album's fault, but that the times have changed.

Oh, I agree with you.

I can recall a person on here years ago who insisted that as soon as Bomb was released, they should have immediately went to work on the next album. Completely ignoring what happens after an album is released.

Yeah, we complain about the time between the release of NLOTH and SOI, but really, it was about the same amount of time between the release of Bomb and NLOTH.

Yeah, we complain about the time between the release of NLOTH and SOI, but really, it was about the same amount of time between the release of Bomb and NLOTH.

Right, I think there was a 6 month difference for No Line to Songs. At least they didn't hit the 5 year mark.

I believe waiting so long to open an official website put them behind the 8 ball - while maybe not the stupidest decision they've made they should have had an official website sooner then they did.

When it came out it was sub-par as well and id argue that it still is by today's standards.

U2's A Year In POP on ABC was absolutely one of the worst decisions they made - they put out the TV show in prime time before anybody had a chance to even hear the music yet - if i remember correctly the lowest rated show in prime time history at the time.

I believe waiting so long to open an official website put them behind the 8 ball - while maybe not the stupidest decision they've made they should have had an official website sooner then they did.

When it came out it was sub-par as well and id argue that it still is by today's standards.

U2's A Year In POP on ABC was absolutely one of the worst decisions they made - they put out the TV show in prime time before anybody had a chance to even hear the music yet - if i remember correctly the lowest rated show in prime time history at the time.

Didn't a year in pop come out after the tour and album ?

Yes, two vastly different things. But, here in the New York Metro area, (and possibly other areas too) pie is slang for pizza. So if you went into a pizza place and ordered a large pie, they would make you a large pizza. But, if you ordered a pizza pie, they would definitely know that you were from out of town. :wink: In other words its redundant. Kind of like ATM Machine or frozen tundra. A tundra is frozen ground so saying frozen frozen ground just sounds silly. Kind of like pizza pie.

Aaaaaaah gotcha. :D

It aired the night after the first show. They showed footage from the Whitney/Vegas show. A large reason the ratings were low was because it aired on a Saturday night which is typically a low ratings night, but with the special airing on ABC it still reached a larger audience than MTV would have.

I watched that, Dennis Hopper was conducting the commentary for it. I thought it was really cool at the time but mostly because I was excited to see U2 back with a new album and tour.

I watched that, Dennis Hopper was conducting the commentary for it. I thought it was really cool at the time but mostly because I was excited to see U2 back with a new album and tour.

I went to the show in Vegas, and then watched the special the next night. They couldn't have picked a more boring live song to show than "DYFL". Talk about taking the air out of the sails when I saw it live in concert...then again I think the songs sucks in its original format, so...:huh:

It aired the night after the first show. They showed footage from the Whitney/Vegas show. A large reason the ratings were low was because it aired on a Saturday night which is typically a low ratings night, but with the special airing on ABC it still reached a larger audience than MTV would have.

Okay, yeah, after asking last night I decided to find it on youtube and watched the special. It wasn't horrible by any means. It went into length on the band's history and focused on the making of the new album. Probably wasn't a good idea to air it on a major primetime tv network on a Saturday... but like you said it still probably reached a bigger audience than MTV would have... and MTV around 1997 was starting to suck majorly with the shift going from music videos to more and more reality shows (to be fair at least in 97 they were coming up with reality game shows based on their Real World/Road Rules challenge shows) and other programming.

david- Funny you posted that This is Your Life Segment. That was the highest rated segment in the history of wrestling.

- I think by 1997, MTV's sister station. VH-1 was showing more videos than MTV. Their VH-1 Legends special on U2 was awesome.

Hewson- My friends and I used to watch that special scene from Revenge of the Nerds so much we messed up the video tape. Great times!

Okay, yeah, after asking last night I decided to find it on youtube and watched the special. It wasn't horrible by any means. It went into length on the band's history and focused on the making of the new album. Probably wasn't a good idea to air it on a major primetime tv network on a Saturday... but like you said it still probably reached a bigger audience than MTV would have... and MTV around 1997 was starting to suck majorly with the shift going from music videos to more and more reality shows (to be fair at least in 97 they were coming up with reality game shows based on their Real World/Road Rules challenge shows) and other programming.

David can you post the link to it for convenience? Thank you :heart:

Back
Top Bottom