US Politics XVII: Yes, squid pro row

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting, anyone else hearing more about this?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1195028806827958274

This is one of the most intriguing things that might come from these public hearing. There may be more and more information and witnesses that come forward once they hear about certain things said in the testimony.

These that are tying Trump even more directly to being the one giving the orders are pretty devastating. Or at least would be if Republicans were actually people that upheld their Constitutional duty.

And oh GOD you have to love Pelosi sometimes. This statement during a press conference was just so back-handedly perfect.

“And if the president has something that is exculpatory — Mr. President, that means if you have anything that shows your innocence — then he should make that known,” she said. “And that’s part of the inquiry. So far we haven’t seen that.”

Last edited:
interesting, anyone else hearing more about this?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1195028806827958274

This is one of the most intriguing things that might come from these public hearing. There may be more and more information and witnesses that come forward once they hear about certain things said in the testimony.

These that are tying Trump even more directly to being the one giving the orders are pretty devastating. Or at least would be if Republicans were actually people that upheld their Constitutional duty.

This is the exact reason why I don’t want the Democrats to rush this. More and more goodies just keep coming out.

This is actually very significant:

"Priorities USA surveyed 2,500 voters in Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania — four states that went for Trump in 2016 — and found that 49 percent support impeachment and removal, compared to 45 percent who oppose it. " Florida at 51% vs 45% (his new home!)

It's very concerning to me how many people are perfectly fine with a right wing military coup in Bolivia, or at least complacent enough to go "Well, that sure seems complicated!"

I do believe Warren would need to moderate her message quite a bit in order to win it all. That's a normal thing as they transition from the primaries to the general, but Warren hasn't really showed any signs of it yet. The president isn't going to change, he's going to keep saying Trump stuff.
She's been moderating her message for a while now. The differences between her and someone like Sanders who intends to remain consistent in their rhetoric have never been more stark. She basically gave a non-answer at the National Press Club when asked about cutting military budgets to fund domestic programs and combating climate change. She has said she won't abolish ICE. It couldn't be more of an effort to moderate her message if she tried. She's been doing it since the centrists in the field like Biden, Harris, and Buttigieg have stagnated or fallen away.

Democrats always moderate their message, and it's always what leads to half-measures, failures, and electing more Republicans.

Except that's not really true with the latest Buttigieg polls...

Yeah, Biden, for all the talk of his demise, is still leading nationally, back up to top spot in NH, and back up into second in Iowa. Pete, who is now number 1 in Iowa, unfortunately may have peaked to soon, and beyond that will get slapped into reality from SC forward.
Harris by all measures is out of this game.

It's very concerning to me how many people are perfectly fine with a right wing military coup in Bolivia, or at least complacent enough to go "Well, that sure seems complicated!"

yep, don't let anyone try to deny that this is a military coup. there were popular protests about the elections, yes, but morales agreed to have the OAS audit the results and when the international auditors decided the election results couldn't be verified, morales agreed to hold new elections. this met all the main demands of the protestors. what happened after that was the far-right and military seeing an opening and suddenly putting forth the notion that new elections weren't good enough and morales' resignation was the only option.

the fact that the lady who assumed the presidency is the leader of the main far-right party and not morales' opponent in the election, and that aside from her own party the senate chamber was nearly empty when she took the oath of office should show that this is not the result of the popular will.

I tend to think “states rights” still has a positive force, even though it’s championed for views we don’t want from progressivism.

Change is brought from the ground up. Not the top down. Especially social change. Gay marriage and weed are two good examples of breaking down the barriers up top to let the floodgates flow from the bottom. One could argue that such restrictions never should’ve been at the top to begin with. So, in all, I think the federal government should really service as an enabler, not a force.

Oh definitely. The state vs federal tension is a good one. Laboratories of democracy and whatnot.

The problem is that I don’t believe the citizens of Mississippi are less deserving of, say, voting rights and eduction than citizens of Massachusetts, even if the people of Mississippi seem to think so.

It is curious to me how many reasonably progressive types who rightfully despise Trump and want him gone readily accept far-right military coups in the Global South.

Oh definitely. The state vs federal tension is a good one. Laboratories of democracy and whatnot.

The problem is that I don’t believe the citizens of Mississippi are less deserving of, say, voting rights and eduction than citizens of Massachusetts, even if the people of Mississippi seem to think so.

And it might take Mississippi far longer to come along, but don’t forget that culture in the next state over will seep in. Forgot gay marriage. Look at marijuana. Just Colorado for the longest time. Look how far we’ve come in ~15 years. Still lots of work to be done.

It is curious to me how many reasonably progressive types who rightfully despise Trump and want him gone readily accept far-right military coups in the Global South.

the new president and her supporters are now openly declaring this to be a victory of christianity over "indigenous paganism".

edit: here's an old tweet of hers declaring that she "dream(s) of a bolivia free of satanic indigenous rituals, the city is not for indians, they should go off into the mountains or the plains" :|

anez-tweet.JPG

Last edited:

Truthfully my guess is that 99 % of the American public (as well as Canadian, Australian, etc) has no clue about Bolivia, its history, its politics or what's happening there now. And I only know about it to a somewhat greater degree because I have a Bolivian brother-in-law. So to that end, it's better to hear no opinions than totally uninformed ones.

And it might take Mississippi far longer to come along, but don’t forget that culture in the next state over will seep in. Forgot gay marriage. Look at marijuana. Just Colorado for the longest time. Look how far we’ve come in ~15 years. Still lots of work to be done.

This is why Democrats need to realize that they need to run mildly culturally conservative candidates in order to ever take back control of the Senate.

Joe Manchin is still better than any Republican. Especially now that the moderates will be gone soon.

Yovanovitch testimony. Truly highlights what an absolute piece of shit, pile of human waste Trump is. And just waiting for all the little piles of human waste that will soon try and go after this patriot in the next couple hours. Stomach turning.

Fake news! Deep state court has been funded by soros and jews who are trying to replace us. Free stone! Dear lord and savior trump, please pardon this saint. In jesus name, amen

Wish I could have seen it today. Trump was engaging in probable witness intimidation via tweet today according to CNN. She said she felt intimidated.

Add that to the articles of impeachment. I am so sick of this narcissistic joke loser. Enough is enough

Wish I could have seen it today. Trump was engaging in probable witness intimidation via tweet today according to CNN. She said she felt intimidated.

Add that to the articles of impeachment. I am so sick of this narcissistic joke loser. Enough is enough

Yeah, today was a different world than Wednesday. Wednesday was good because both witnesses were the highest honorable professionals. But they were incredibly careful in their answers and kept it very... plain and straight-forward.

Yovanovitch was soft-spoken, and really demanded that people almost literally lean in to pay attention. You could see and feel how unnerved she was by all this.

Schiff breaking in, in real time with Trump's tweet, was brilliant on his part, but you could see how it physically effected the witness, right there. From there, all Repub questioners had to praise her before questioning to try and distance themselves from Trump.

It ended with about a minute long standing ovation for Yovanovitch. It was pretty incredible and truly, this is the type of hearing that speaks to those moderate, especially women, voters that can relate to male bullying and dismissal of women who are pure competent professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom