U2 working with pop songwriter for new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You haven't pointed out one BAND in the same shoes as U2 that are able to do both.

There are no bands in U2's shoes. Except the Stones. Who started this discussion.

We're talking about old bands who are successful. I've proven that there are. Who are very successful in a variety of ways that contribute to the concept of relevancy.

It's not about being as big as U2 were in 1993, because nobody is anymore. It's about being old, successful, and relevant, and it can be done. Not many do it because not many bands get old.

I see a lot of bands being listed who are not in U2's weight class when it comes to sales, popularity, influence, and age.

Compare U2 to Depeche Mode, REM, Faith No More, or the Cure maybe, but they don't really have peers at this point. Pearl Jam? They had one good album ever. Gorillaz? Dylan? Cohen? These are not U2's peers.

They are all old, and they are popular. U2 have 10 years on some of them, but fuck, how finicky do you want to get? Only bands who released debut albums in october 1980, have sold over 100 million albums, have at least 20 top 40 hits need apply. if you want to consider sales and all that shit the debate becomes irrelevant because it ceases to be about old bands being successful. They may not be as successful as U2, but nobody is. Especially Faith No More!

U2s peers for the sake of this discussion is any old artist because it's about old bands, not old bands with u2s credentials that are held by no other band of their generation.

Super huge is the point cause that's the point I've been trying to make.

Old artists will not be accepted by the mainstream. Old artists can't have super huge records or hits.

But not because they're old. Aerosmith, Page and Plant, and the Stones all had big hits in the 90s.

Rock isn't accepted by the mainstream, and the kind that is is not made by old bands. It's got nothing to do with age, though good looks help, and they always have.

Old artists might not be super huge (chilis, foos, etc aside) but they can be very, very successful in a different, more substantial way (50,000 screaming girls vs. 20,000 adults listening).

They are all old, and they are popular. U2 have 10 years on some of them, but fuck, how finicky do you want to get? Only bands who released debut albums in october 1980, have sold over 100 million albums, have at least 20 top 40 hits need apply. if you want to consider sales and all that shit the debate becomes irrelevant because it ceases to be about old bands being successful. They may not be as successful as U2, but nobody is. Especially Faith No More!

U2s peers for the sake of this discussion is any old artist because it's about old bands, not old bands with u2s credentials that are held by no other band of their generation.

I wouldn't consider Pearl Jam or Radiohead old. I listed bands who were as close as you could get to U2's peers, but they don't have any peers. They are accomplishing a career no other band has ever managed before.

There are no bands in U2's shoes. Except the Stones. Who started this discussion.

We're talking about old bands who are successful. I've proven that there are. Who are very successful in a variety of ways that contribute to the concept of relevancy.

But you're missing the point on almost all of them. You kept saying: "Age has an effect of the sales, but not on critical standing, and not on public perception." But it does. If it didn't you could list more bands like U2, and the truth is you can't.

You listed who? Primal Scream, The Cure, and Depeche Mode?

First of all, no one outside the UK under the age of 30 know who Primal Scream are. The Cure? How many people know any of their from the 12 years or so? A recent NME magazine cover had Robert Smith on the cover, guess what the picture was 10 years old. Age isn't a factor? You're blind if you can't see that.

Depeche Mode is probably the closest you can get to an apples to apples comparison out of all on your list and age has definitely played a factor on their success. They're the first ones to admit it, a recent interview with Gore talks about how frustrating it is that they have to rely so much on their back catalog when he thinks their latest stuff is just as good or better.

Not many do it because not many bands get old.
That's kinda the point. Age is a much bigger factor when it comes to bands than it is solo acts, that's why so many of them don't make it.

First of all, no one outside the UK under the age of 30 know who Primal Scream are. The Cure? How many people know any of their from the 12 years or so? A recent NME magazine cover had Robert Smith on the cover, guess what the picture was 10 years old. Age isn't a factor? You're blind if you can't see that.

Depeche Mode is probably the closest you can get to an apples to apples comparison out of all on your list and age has definitely played a factor on their success. They're the first ones to admit it, a recent interview with Gore talks about how frustrating it is that they have to rely so much on their back catalog when he thinks their latest stuff is just as good or better.

Actually, unless I missed something, I was the one who brought up The Cure and Depeche Mode. I really think they're as close as you can get to U2's peers at this point, and you're right about both of them. They both make buckets of money touring, are writing great new material, but not getting acknowledgement for what they're doing now. If the young'ins these days think Radiohead and Pearl Jam are old, I can't imagine what they think U2, Depeche, and The Cure are!

I don't think "super huge" rock bands exist anymore. Or, at the very least, the definition has shifted profoundly. "Super huge" is headlining big festivals and drawing huge tour numbers and maybe even receiving some critical praise along the way. It sure as hell isn't going triple platinum and receiving pop radio play. Otherwise, bands like the Black Keys who have cracked the top 40, uh, zero times wouldn't be selling out arenas. Critical praise and constant touring have made indie more mainstream than ever. Radio has never been less relevant.

In that sense, I would argue that Depeche Mode and The Cure (who both have/easily could headline Coachella or Lollapalooza if they so desired) are just as relevant as Foo Fighters, Muse or any number of rock heavyweights; if either were to release an album, the sales numbers in the first week would be roughly the same as any of the most popular rock bands around today (100,000-400,000). If the album is praised and/or it boasts an alternative/rock chart hit, it could sustain those numbers. U2 can manage numbers beyond this because, like Coldplay, they have adult contemporary crossover.

Personally, I find it absurd to judge bands by their age at this point in rock history. Rock's founders are elderly. The greats from your heyday are old now, and if they are not already, they will be. Who gives a shit if your favorite band is old? Dying at 27 is less in fashion than ever before.

But you're missing the point on almost all of them. You kept saying: "Age has an effect of the sales, but not on critical standing, and not on public perception." But it does. If it didn't you could list more bands like U2, and the truth is you can't.

That's kinda the point. Age is a much bigger factor when it comes to bands than it is solo acts, that's why so many of them don't make it.

The point is that old bands can have success. These days they don't have success like they did when they were younger because almost NO rock band does. However, there are old artists - band, solo, it doesn't matter because the issue is AGE, not the type of artist.

Band/solo artist is a different discussion.

You can say that nobody under 30 outside the UK knows who primal scream is, but that doesn't change the fact that within the UK they are hugely successful, and they're an old band.

So what if the NME used an old photo? That says nothing about the Cure's ability to draw a huge crowd, most of whom are young. Speaking of which, I saw the line up for the Scream last year and they were all teens and 20 years olds. And DM may draw on their back catelogue, but their new records are well received, sell well, and I bet they could play mostly new stuff and people would love it because A) it's good, and B) DM are gods live. And "Wrong" was a hit. Not bad for an old band making music that doesn't fit the radio climate.

You say that age is a factor when it comes to bands more than solo artists, but you're referring to my point that bands don't get old because they break up so there are relatively few examples. It doesn't have anything to do with your claim that ageism prevents "success."

There are a lot of reasons that old bands don't have the success that they had when they were younger, and reducing it to age is far to simple and ignores other reasons (such as style of music, changing tastes, changes in radio, the lack of monoculture, the evening of the playing field, the general lack of monolithic artists), and you also choose to ignore evidence that old artists DO have substantial success, and I don't understand why. It's fucked up.

If a young artist headlined Glastonburry, sold out arenas, got great reviews, and won awards I think they'd be considered successful. But because they're named Weller, Depeche Mode, Radiohead, Primal Scream,Pearl Jam it doesn't count? That doesn't make any sense whats so ever. Because they're an old solo artist that success isn't as valid as if they're a band? It may seem that old bands have a harder time than solo artists, but that's only because there are fewer older bands. Solo artists generally don't retire.

The fact is that there are very few arena rock bands now, and even fewer stadium bands. Rock is moving back to the theatres, so-called "indie" success is becoming the norm; indie rock is the now mainstream, just like alternative became mainstream 20 years ago, but at a time when rock still shared that space. It doesn't any more, and I think Dre and Snoop headlining Coechella (MORE OLD FUCKERS!) attests to that.

If you want to go with simplistic reasons why old bands don't have the success they once did, go ahead and ignore reality, or accept that old artists don't face stigma anymore (look at the solid reviews, hit song, and sell out shows for Van Halen). I've provided plenty of evidence for it, and nobody has been able to refute it aside from saying it's not ENOUGH success when it's actually the normal amount of success for rock bands these days.

I don't think "super huge" rock bands exist anymore. Or, at the very least, the definition has shifted profoundly. "Super huge" is headlining big festivals and drawing huge tour numbers and maybe even receiving some critical praise along the way. It sure as hell isn't going triple platinum and receiving pop radio play. Otherwise, bands like the Black Keys who have cracked the top 40, uh, zero times wouldn't be selling out arenas. Critical praise and constant touring have made indie more mainstream than ever. Radio has never been less relevant.

In that sense, I would argue that Depeche Mode and The Cure (who both have/easily could headline Coachella or Lollapalooza if they so desired) are just as relevant as Foo Fighters, Muse or any number of rock heavyweights; if either were to release an album, the sales numbers in the first week would be roughly the same as any of the most popular rock bands around today (100,000-400,000). If the album is praised and/or it boasts an alternative/rock chart hit, it could sustain those numbers. U2 can manage numbers beyond this because, like Coldplay, they have adult contemporary crossover.

Finally someone else is speaking sense in this place.

:wave:

The point is that old bands can have success.
Like I said, down to an artform.

So what if the NME used an old photo? That says nothing about the Cure's ability to draw a huge crowd, most of whom are young.
The point is, we don't want our rock stars to age.

No one said you couldn't be "successful", I mean U2 is still one of the most successful bands around. But ageism exists, you can't deny that.

The point is that DM, U2, The Cure, Primal Scream, or whoever could write the best album of their career and they wouldn't get the credit for it or the attention for being their best album. Now "best" is all subjective but the point is that once you're considered old you are no longer an actual relevant factor in music. Your legacy may be, but your current work will never be looked at that way.

Ehhhh... I think "never" is a heck of a word. I would quickly agree that it gets progressively harder and harder. I also think we could probably agree that U2's main artistic motivation is to create new material which is relevant. The only musicians I can think of who were ever relevant this late in their career were solo artists: Bowie, Cash, Cohen, Waits, Cave, etc.

btw why does Primal Scream keep getting mentioned? I have a vague memory that there used to be such a band, but I couldn't name a single song of theirs. Were they more popular somewhere outside of the US?

Ehhhh... I think "never" is a heck of a word. I would quickly agree that it gets progressively harder and harder. I also think we could probably agree that U2's main artistic motivation is to create new material which is relevant. The only musicians I can think of who were ever relevant this late in their career were solo artists: Bowie, Cash, Cohen, Waits, Cave, etc.

btw why does Primal Scream keep getting mentioned? I have a vague memory that there used to be such a band, but I couldn't name a single song of theirs. Were they more popular somewhere outside of the US?

They're massive in the UK.

I think a bigger issue than ageism in criticism of rock warhorses is the tough comparison of new material to classic older work.

What's more likely to be said: "The Cure is older than they were before so this album is gonna SUCK" or "They'll never top Disintegration, so who cares?" I'm thinking the latter. It's an obstacle artists with a large catalogue have to deal with, but 35-40 year olds face the same thing.

I think a bigger issue than ageism in criticism of rock warhorses is the tough comparison of new material to classic older work.

What's more likely to be said: "The Cure is older than they were before so this album is gonna SUCK" or "They'll never top Disintegration, so who cares?" I'm thinking the latter. It's an obstacle artists with a large catalogue have to deal with, but 35-40 year olds face the same thing.

There's some truth to that. Bloodflowers was a masterpiece, but a better album than Disintegration? Of course not.

I see The Cure and Depeche Mode as peers of U2.

KMKMKM - Disintegration - Wish - mid 80s-early 90s
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward - Music for the Masses - Violator - mid 80s-early 90s
U2...see where I'm going with this?

I see The Cure and Depeche Mode as peers of U2.

KMKMKM - Disintegration - Wish - mid 80s-early 90s
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward - Music for the Masses - Violator - mid 80s-early 90s
U2...see where I'm going with this?

Sure. With REM gone, I think they're the only worthy peers they really have left. I wish I could list INXS there beside them. :(

2802554397_b45da1a395.jpg

I'm 27, from the U.S., and I've heard of Primal Scream. Granted, I couldn't name any songs of theirs off the top of my head-I might have heard one or two here or there, but I'll be damned if I know which ones they were. But still...I at least know the name.

Also, I don't think people care as much about old age anymore in and of itself in music. I think mainly people have a problem with an artist if they are singing about stuff that they're too old to be singing about. That seems to be part of the criticism I'm seeing about Madonna's latest, for instance-she's 53 and yet still trying to act like she's young, in some people's eyes, anyway (I haven't heard her album, so I can't comment). I don't think it's them getting old that's the problem, it's whether or not they age gracefully that matters.

As for U2, all I care about, all that's ever mattered to me, is whether or not I like their music. If it hits the top 40 or doesn't, if it's relevant to the masses or not, if it's small and intimate or stadium-style, whatever, I don't care. If I sense that they put the time and effort into their music and clearly enjoyed making it, that's the most important thing. And I may like the result, I may not. But U2's built up enough goodwill with me over the years musically that I can forgive them a fall or two here or there. Nobody's perfect.

And that goes for all other artists I love, too.

*Goes off to sit on the sidelines and watch the rest of the debate*

The problem with all these artists (U2 included) is simple: we have all these records made by you, why do we need another one?

And that's what U2 themselves know - hence the constant reinvention, and the obvious difficulties they're facing now in putting anything out there. (And the clutching at straws in checking out any producer who has half a hit in the charts.)

(And the clutching at straws in checking out any producer who has half a hit in the charts.)

Yeah, agree with this. Depeche Mode has been brought up in this thread, and I believe they worked with TWO producers for the whole of last decade (Ben Hillier and somone else who did Exciter whose name escapes me). And they are working with Hillier again on their next one which is due out next year. How many producers have U2 got into bed with over the last twelve years? I've lost count. From my pov it seems that DM are unconcerned with being "relevent" and don't give a dog shit about getting into the Top 40. And ironically Wrong was seven light years better than any of NLOTH's singles. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom