"Turn It Up Loud Captain"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murray

Acrobat
After listening to VERTIgo on my headphones, I realized how likely it is that this song was going to be in that Sky Captain movie. Mainly because of Bono saying "turn it up loud captain!" at the beginning. I can definitley picture this song being played at the end of a movie as the credits roll down. My theory, though, is that when U2 were asked to write a song for the movie, the entire song's lyrics were different. Probably, like, "Oh no! Oh no! Skyhawk's gonna rule the world," or something like that. Then, Bono sang the Vertigo lyrics to it and liked it ten times more, so they decided to ix-na on the sky aptain-ca and save it for the new album. Just my theory, but I think that this was "Skyhawk," and not "Native Son/Full Metal Jacket."

Bono: "Turn it up loud"
Edge: "Captain"

Makes sense. Edge is the Spock to Bono's Kirk.

Last edited:
"Turn it up thar, Captain" It's silly and lighthearted. But I don't hear "loud" no matter how I try. I don't know where this came from, I'm listening to the CD-quality Valencia recording, through Grado studio headphones.

I'm sure it's "Turn it up thar, Captain!" and I'd also bet $10 that's Edge saying it.

Yeah, it's "turn it up thar, captain.

And by the way, I think it's all Bono. :eyebrow:

Last edited:
OMG! That would be so perfect if the Edge said "captain" because The Edge is the Spock to Bono's Kirk! I thought of it all on my own! Murray said it! ME!

Sky Captain is a really good movie I've heard. U2 songs have been on crap movies in the past (Tom Raider). Hey, it's money, that's the way it is folks!

I don't think this soung would even fit on Sky Captain though. That movie is more 20-ish retro, not like this song at all.

Hmm ... I was hearing 'loud' very clearly, but now you lot have put doubt in my mind!

After listening to it again really loud I'm almost sure that it's all Bono (even the Capitan part). He's just making a very firm voice in the Capitan part.

Murray said:
OMG! That would be so perfect if the Edge said "captain" because The Edge is the Spock to Bono's Kirk! I thought of it all on my own! Murray said it! ME!

But C'MON, it makes absolute PERFECT sense!!

Phalanx said:
Bono: "Turn it up loud"
Edge: "Captain"

Makes sense. Edge is the Spock to Bono's Kirk.

I'm so glad there's someone else out there who thinks this as well...:wink: :wave:

Axver said:
Hmm ... I was hearing 'loud' very clearly, but now you lot have put doubt in my mind!

Yessss, one convert! I'm gonna win you all over, including the guy who has "turn it up loud" as his sig.

It's... Turn it up THERE, Captain.

bredlo said:

Yessss, one convert! I'm gonna win you all over, including the guy who has "turn it up loud" as his sig.

It's... Turn it up THERE, Captain.

No, you won't convert me, I don't want you to! I prefer 'loud'!

How do we know it's not Larry or Adam stepping in? I would bet either of them could sound like that. At least that was my impression after messing around with the equalizers on the 20th and 30th plays.

I heard that Bono and Edge are going to do a whole 'Captain and Tenille' thing for the tour.

The mini acoustic set will feature such hits as; Muskrat Love, Love Will Keep Us Together, and Do That To Me One More Time.

Put Edge in the Captains hat, and we're ready to set sail.

PurpleSeven said:
I heard that Bono and Edge are going to do a whole 'Captain and Tenille' thing for the tour.

The mini acoustic set will feature such hits as; Muskrat Love, Love Will Keep Us Together, and Do That To Me One More Time.

Put Edge in the Captains hat, and we're ready to set sail.

:drool:

It is Bono, I don't think it's even that hard to tell to be honest. Of course I have listened to it 50 times with headphones, and the good version at that.

Now, if he's saying "there" "thar" or "loud" thats kinda tough to tell, but it defintely sounds like Bono, maybe because it is. :wink:

I don't know. I believe Bono is talking. He is telling Edge to turn his guitar up. Plus, Bono has been quoted so many times that this is an Edge record, so I think Edge is Captain of this album.

Back
Top Bottom