Through the Years: U2 Concert statisitcs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
I'm looking for figures on U2 concerts throughout the years.

Things I'm interested in pertain to these statistics:

1) Gross profits of each show and entire tours.

2) Attendence compared to venue's availible seats.

3) Comparison of record sales to attendance.

If anyone has this information, please share. :)

Comparison of record sales to attendance = 140M (est.) albums sold, 20M concert tickets sold = roughly 7 albums sold for every concert ticket sold...

...amazing what you can do with a 'B' grade in GCSE Maths. :giggle:

Last edited:
Danospano said:
I'm looking for figures on U2 concerts throughout the years.

Things I'm interested in pertain to these statistics:

1) Gross profits of each show and entire tours.

2) Attendence compared to venue's availible seats.

3) Comparison of record sales to attendance.

If anyone has this information, please share. :)

Go to the following link down below and purchase this book. This is the #1 source for every U2 concert from before Boy all the way through the Elevation tour in 2001. For nearly every show there is a full, setlist, summary of performance and other interesting info, and attendance compared to the capacity.

The book list the attendance for nearly every show, but not the Gross which is rather easy to caculate since the band usually used a single ticket price for each tour from Boy to ZOO TV. It has only been with POP, Elevation and now Vertigo that we see multiple ticket prices for each show. It does have Gross figures for most of the legs of each tour from Joshua Tree onwards, including the complete GROSS totals for POPMART (4 legs) and Elevation (3 legs) tours.

The book does list some album sale data as well at various points.

Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-3374333-0664823?v=glance&s=books

For any album sale information the book does not have, we can fill that in, although global sales remain estimates.

Precise album sales for U2's catalog for various countries/regions can be obtained at these websites: www.riaa.com for U2's album sales in the United States. www.bpi.co.uk for U2's album sales in the United Kingdom. www.cria.ca for U2's album sales in Canada.

There is a website for album sales in Europe that list sales of any album released since 1994 onward as long as it has sold a minimum of 1 million copies, go to www.ifpi.org

I was looking through the form and found this thread. STING2, I was wondering if you have this book, could you post the exact attendance and gross figures for each U2 tour, including the Boy tour, October tour, War tour and other early tours stated separetely rather than together. Thanks a mill.

04072511 said:
I was looking through the form and found this thread. STING2, I was wondering if you have this book, could you post the exact attendance and gross figures for each U2 tour, including the Boy tour, October tour, War tour and other early tours stated separetely rather than together. Thanks a mill.

For tours before WAR its very difficult to come up with any real accurate total. The book does not attempt to. The reason is that there is very little information on attendance at most shows. I just tried to put together an estimate for the BOY tour.

For the BOY tour, I did not include any shows that were festivals or where U2 was opening for another band because these shows are NOT U2 shows, but rather shows that U2 appeared at or opened for another artist at their show.

From September 1980 to June 1981, U2 played a total of 148 BOY tour shows. Of the 148 shows, attendence figures are only listed for 38 of them and all 38 listings are estimates, not official figures from amusement business.

With this in mind the only estimate I could arrive at as far as a total, was to add the estimated attendance of the 38 shows, which was 32,862 and then find the average for these 38 shows. The average was 864 per show, for these 38 shows. Then, to arrive at an estimate for the entire tour, I multiplied 148 shows by this average of 864. If this was correct, total attendance for the 148 date BOY tour would be 127,872. The true figure is indeed lower but it is unknown by how much. Most of the estimated attendence figures were reported for shows that had good attendance for the capacity given. Only one show with truely poor attendence was reported. U2 played a show in LA to 12 people at a 400 capacity club in the Spring of 1981. It is likely that there were several shows like this on the tour as well as many shows that only had 150 to 200 people.

So, the estimate of 127,872 is definitely an overestimate, and I'd say the true total could be as little as 60,000 or even lower.

Lots of these clubs can hold 200 to 700 people, but many bands including U2 played only to a few dozen people at such clubs back in the early days.

I'll have to look at the October tour to see if a better estimate can be made for it. WAR tour estimate should be very accurate. A total estimate for these tours is not listed in the book, primarily do to the lack of data.

Thanks STING2 , would you be able to post the total attendance of all of U2's tours? I've heard estimates for each tour from the UF tour on, but I dont know the true accurate figures for each of these tours.

Back
Top Bottom