The Irony of the Hollywood Liberal Left Protesters..(buckle up-explosive topic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
deep my response was to the original comment, not to yours... love the sinatra mug shot, by the way... but i'm afraid bringing up reagen won't do any good in this argument... despite being a good governer and a great president, alas, he was a republican, and is probably considered an enemy to most in this thread...

Reagan's name will outlast Clinton's name for the good of humankind for centuries to come.

Diamond

diamond said:
Reagan's name will outlast Clinton's name for the good of humankind for centuries to come.

Diamond

Oh I needed another one. :lol:

And is Clinton the only Democrat you know?

(Psst...there were more Democrats as Presidents you know :sexywink:)

And when did you decide to utilize capitalization and full sentences? :angry:

Melon

What pisses off the Republican Party more than anything is having JFK's image on a coin and his name plastered all over schools and libraries. They want to do that with Reagan, but guess what? It won't happen. The people hate him too much, although I expect his rabid fan club (a literal fan club, not a metaphorical one) to try again after he dies.

Melon

well
hes alive and already has an airport named after him.

so, i like his chances:up::)

apparently,your hate for him isnt reflective of the general population..:ohmy:

thank u-

diamond
:dance:

Last edited:
I still call it Washington National Airport, and I will until the day I die.
dance1.gif

Melonn

well u might confuse a young cabbie or 2 a few decades from now, if u continue to mis-speak, if this airport were your destination.:sexywink:

I think it is called the "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport." Don't worry. I think they'll know what I'm talking about.

Melon

reagan did a lot of good, and he did a lot of bad... his policies in central america were nothing to be proud of. but those were the times... anyone who wasn't a communist was on our side, anyone who was was our enemy.

and there is the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center on Pennsylvania Avenue, not just the airport.

and there is a school here in new york, a noted blue state, who's changed it's name over to "reagen"

i happen to like john kennedy... it's ted that i despise. and i have no problem with his face and name on schools, coins, and huge international airports. how he handled the cuban missile crisis alone warrants all of that... even though he did make his share of mistakes as well.... cough.... bay of pigs... cough

oh... and jimmy carter did tons for iran too

melon said:

I think we had a discussion about this ?incendiary? word.

You are capable of conveying your thoughts without diminishing your argument.

[/end playground monitor admonishment]

Just because a bunch of Politicians name stuff after a President doesn't really mean shit. It's what you contributed to American society. I can't think of one great thing Reagan left us with, other than hollywood picture perfect films of him and Nancy at their ranch, nonsensical ramblings if asked question he wasn't prepped for, Star Wars, or Trickle-down Economics. A disaster the first time around for the last two.

edited cause I 'm getting a bad headache and am close to tears about the loss if life facing us in the next week or so.

Last edited:
I found it interesting that the national and local news showed several peace marches held today by students that had a "walk Out day".

They also showed the peace delegation from the Pope as well as Bush's own leader of (insert proper word) Methodist Church renouncing pre-emtive war. He stated that pre-emptive war is always an unjust war.

Scarletwine said:
. It's what you contributed to American society. I can't think of one great thing Reagan left us with,
edited cause I 'm getting a bad headache and am close to tears about the loss if life facing us in the next week or so.
Scarlet-
We made it thru Iraq 1
this too will soon pass..

Re Regean and what he should be remembered for-

"Mr Gorbachev,
Tear
Down
THIS
WALL"....

Peace.

Diamond
:)

Back to Arnold:

Arnold for President! :up:

I like this man, really. He helped organize the Special Olympics. He hasn?t lost touch with his family. He?s a winner.

HipHop,
I agree.
I need to really check out Arnold to see if really gets the issues though.

Diamond

But as a naturalized US citizen, Arnold can run for most public offices, other than president right? Or did I just make that up?

yes, any office but pres and VP

BAW,

For some time now Arnold has been positioning himself to run for CA office. Either Senate or Gov. You may remember he led an inititive for after school programs that was passed in 2002 electon. This is seen as building his resume. People in the party have told me they have plans for him. They are also grooming Sheriff Corona for higher office.

Last edited:
perspective from an Iraqi citizen:up:

no 'do-gooder' protester could never even fathom their own ignorance:rolleyes:

-
http://www.iraqfoundation.org/news/.../3_protest.html

No Protest in My Name

(March 3, 2003)

------------------------------------
By Freshta Raper
London
------------------------------------

A victim of Saddam's regime puts her case for war.

Do the anti-war protestors who have been filling the streets and parks of the civilized, comfortable West have any idea what they are protesting about? I watched with dismay this week as Greenpeace supporters chained themselves to fuel pumps. I could not believe the naivet? of the protestors in Hyde Park a few weeks ago. They wouldn't survive a month if dropped into Baghdad and forced to live as Iraqis live. They would be arrested and tortured as soon as they started complaining about the lack of basic rights - among them, free speech.

What is more moral? Freeing an oppressed, brutalized people from a vicious tyrant or allowing millions to continue suffering indefinitely? Speaking as one of millions of Iraqis who have suffered at the hands of Saddam Hussein's brutal regime, I would pay any price to get rid of this monster.

I have been imprisoned, tortured and gassed. I know life in Saddam's Iraq.

I was born in Halabja, close to the Iranian border in the northern Kurdish region. I went to school and graduated in Halabja, then became a mathematics teacher. In the mid-1980s, a law was passed decreeing that all teaching must be done in Arabic. No more would we be allowed to teach in Kurdish. There were demonstrations. Courageous students burned books in protest.

When this happened in Halabja, the ringleaders came to my school to escape from the Iraqi mukhabarat - intelligence officers - who were looking for them. I helped hide them in the physics lab and they remained undetected. But someone must have informed the authorities, for I was arrested the following day and held for three days. During this time I was forced to sit in ice-cold water. I, like so many other Iraqi women, endured many humiliations. All this for hiding two 16-year-old children who had burnt a few books!

After I was released, men from the mukhabarat followed me everywhere. No-one was allowed to speak to me. I was fired soon after, told not to go anywhere near the school or the children, and re-assigned to the education department of the regional government in the city of Suleimaniyah.

In 1987, I received a memo from the director calling me to a meeting. I arrived at the appointed time and found the hall packed with friends and colleagues. Mukhabarat surrounded the building and arrested us all. They loaded us onto a lorry and said: "Bring your men folk who are peshmergas [anti-Saddam Kurdish guerrillas] or bring divorce papers!"

I did neither. I joined the peshmergas and stayed in the mountains living the life of guerrilla - a life of hell, under constant threat of chemical attack.

In 1988, 21 members of my family - aunts, nephews and nieces - died of suffocation when Saddam attacked Halabja with chemical weapons. In many ways I was lucky: my mother, brothers and sisters were in Suleimaniyah and survived. When the planes came, I was in Kanyto, a small village in the mountains. Again I was lucky: I survived the chemical attack. Badly injured, though, I spent three months in hospital recovering from the chemical burns that covered my body, blistering it from head to foot.

When Iraq invaded Kuwait I decided to leave my homeland: still suffering from the chemicals, I felt vulnerable - helpless and hopeless. I fled to England and resumed my teaching career in a London boys' school. Today the most dangerous thing I have to deal with is disruptive, swearing teenagers. This is the world the protestors know - not Saddam's world of chemical weapons, of arbitrary terror and rape.

How many protestors have spoken to an Iraqi woman who has been raped - in front of her father and son - by Saddam's thugs? How many have asked an Iraqi mother how she felt when she was forced to watch her son being executed - and then ordered to pay for the bullet that killed him? How many know that these mothers had to applaud as their sons died - or be executed themselves? I saw this in Suleimaniyah. I heard the clapping. I hear it still.

In the 12 years since I arrived in England I have been back to Northern Iraq four times to visit family and friends. Thankfully, because of the no-fly zone imposed by the Western allies, life there has improved: the Iraqi army is no longer on our land. But Kurds outside the liberated area still live in fear that they may be picked up by Iraqi soldiers, conscripted into the Iraqi army or forced to sign papers declaring that they are not Kurds - but Arabs.

I have spoken to many people in northern Iraq over the last few weeks - to Kurdish officials, journalists, old friends, my brother. They all agree that this war proposed by George Bush and Tony Blair may be the one chance to rid Iraq of the disease that is Saddam Hussein. They, like me, believe that anti-war protests will be taken as a sign of weakness by Saddam and exploited by him to the full.

Giving the UN inspectors more time is a sad, bad joke. Saddam will never disarm. He will lie, cheat and bluff his way out. He always has and always will.

Scarlet-
Most have seen and read this already.:)

Bono is against an invasion.
Bono was also against Iraq Pt 1.

Bono is still an astute , brilliant person, however most Americans and members of the UN Council feel 12 years have been long enough.

DB9

Back
Top Bottom