The 2006 3 mobile Ashes Series Australia vs. England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
Besides all the obvious reasons, I also hope England wins just to keep this series alive. I'd like the Boxing Day test to actually have some meaning instead of being a dead rubber.

Since I'm going to be there on the 3rd Day Of The Boxing Day Test, I actually Agree!

bono_man2002 said:
Since I'm going to be there on the 3rd Day Of The Boxing Day Test, I actually Agree!

Come over to the dark side. :drool:

Though the English seem to be struggling ... I wonder just how long this last wicket stand can actually last?

However, even if this ends really soon, if the English can hold Australia to a second innings total similar to the first innings one, England's final innings will be exciting as all hell.

Axver said:
Though the English seem to be struggling ... I wonder just how long this last wicket stand can actually last?

Not much longer, evidently! I think I made that comment when England were 9/211, and they were dismissed for 215.

But now Australia's in and already down a wicket at 1/13. This is absolutely a bowler's wicket. Let's see if England's bowling attack fires again ...

Edit: Wow, I just took a closer look at the scorecard and it turns out Langer was out first ball of the Aussie second innings! Now THAT is what I call a good start for England. Now, come on, build on it!

Aw well. Even if we lose this one we're bound to win next year!

:wink:

Salome said:
I'd like to see a whitewash
the English can never get humiliated enough in any sport

even a whitewash wouldn't stop them claiming they'll win the next Ashes :shrug:

There is nothing worse than meaningless cricket.

This is drifitng towards meaninglessness.

Poor, poor, poor.

Hussey gets yet another boundary. Where have Australia been hiding this guy?

That said I think Geraint Jones is as good a keeper as Read, it's just his batting is awful. Read's not much better though.

What's Jack Russell up to these days, he'd do a job.

What the hell is wrong with the English team? This game was within their grasp, it could have been a thrilling competition, and they've just let it slip away. If they let Australia score just 100 more runs - and I don't know how they plan to avoid that - then this game might as well be over.

As someone who is more or less supporting England, this is extremely painful.

From the BBC website:
"Has an Ashes series ever been curtailed on humanitarian grounds?"
John, via text

Wow, England's seriously snatched defeat from the jaws of potential victory here.

I can't wait for the Boxing Day Dead Rubber! Talk about stripping all meaning from the best test of the year! :happy:

yertle-the-turtle said:
England are missing Gary Pratt, I tell you.

Bring back Pratt.

Edit: Gilchrist is ruining Monty's figures.

Harmison's was worse than Monty's, which no one seemed to pay much attention to. Poor bloke, they'll be calling for his blood in the pommie press after this.

OMG GO GILLY YOU LEGEND, they say hes out of form, but by god i think hes found his form, 102 of 58 balls, thats just absolutely incredible. hats off to monty though, still smiling and willing to bowl even after those 4 balls that went 6 6 4 6!

Angela Harlem said:

Harmison's was worse than Monty's, which no one seemed to pay much attention to. Poor bloke, they'll be calling for his blood in the pommie press after this.

True, but I don't think Harmison bowled that badly.

To be fair I think it's more a measure of how good Australia were batting than poor England fielding.

Comparably the England batting has been woeful. Crap decision for Strauss yes but he should never have been in that position in the first place.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Edit: Gilchrist is ruining Monty's figures.

That was, without a doubt, the best over in Test cricket that I have watched in awhile. I was at the SCG the day Steve Waugh scored his 100 off the last ball of the day, and I could sense it was the same atmosphere at the WACA yesterday.

Watching the Poms today, they do have the goods to hold Australia to a draw - or, if they steadied themselves, a win, but the real question is do they have the "ticker"??? (a good Aussie expression) :shrug:

Colly gone. :(

So KP will bash it about for about 10 overs before attempting to slog sweep and get caught. Flintoff will come in, show no footwork and depart not long after. Jones will then make a single-figure score.

Somewhere in between Cook is going to boil over as well (haha, pun).

Hopefully Pieterson and Flinoff can bat out a whole day to keep the series alive....or even win it for England? Would rank up there with Edgbaston 2005 as one of the great test matches...

And I'll continue supporting the poms until Hodge gets a recall...

England has a day to score 292 while protecting 5 wickets.

If they really are worth their salt, they should be able to do this. Come on, it's a whole bloody day!

Sending out the nightwatchman was a strange and rather wasteful decision.
I suspect this is McGrath's last season. He's much more into last - hoorah bravado.

since Stuart Clarke still has his usual couple of wickets due it does seem like england won't make it

And it's over.

England, you fail. Go home. Come back when you learn how to actually hold onto wickets.

Flintoff was playing some awesome shots that first hour, although he probably shouldn't have been.

Ruthless performance by Australia though, especially on the back of their second innings. Probably still are the best team in the world.

You do wish that England didn't capitulate that easily though. Strauss didn't turn up, I've been one of the few supporters of Jones but his batting (which he's ostensibly been chosen over Read for) has let him down tremendously, Giles and Anderson (who've hardly played Test cricket over the past year) hardly justified their selection, Harmison until this Test showed little control, Flintoff's footwork more or less deserted him until today, and he's made some bizarre captaincy decisions. Bit of a case of too little, too late.

Still, well played Australia.

Disappointing as the outcome is, there's no shame in losing to the best team in the world, I've said it before, & no doubt I'll say it again, but the Aussie cricket team must surely rank as the greatest SPORTS team ever, they've totally dominated the sport for as long as I can remember, & they don't seem to be showing any sign of faltering.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom