Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I should post this maybe here too, 60 MINUTES - Every Breaking Wave performance:

U2 | SNEAK PEEK | 7.30 TONIGHT on 60 Minutes - YouTube

Wow. Might sound like a stretch, but that's possibly the best U2 performance I've heard in over 20 years. His voice is just unreal and when the band kicks in it just leaves you speechless. I haven't felt that blown away watching a performance by them in a very very long time. Wow is about all I can say.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Anyone in Australia watching 60 Minutes for the interview?

I'm hoping to catch it but Channel 9 are so fucking behind schedule that I may have to bail because I don't want to miss the final of The Code on the ABC. All I really want to know is when and where EBW was played so I can add it to U2gigs!

Wow. Might sound like a stretch, but that's possibly the best U2 performance I've heard in over 20 years. His voice is just unreal and when the band kicks in it just leaves you speechless. I haven't felt that blown away watching a performance by them in a very very long time. Wow is about all I can say.

That vocal was beyond strained, and the breakdown section was perhaps the weakest executed of all the promo appearances I've seen so far. Like an old man wheezing for air.

Nice camerawork, though. Sure looked good.

I'm hoping to catch it but Channel 9 are so fucking behind schedule that I may have to bail because I don't want to miss the final of The Code on the ABC. All I really want to know is when and where EBW was played so I can add it to U2gigs!

I missed it, but I'll see if channel 9 do anything with it online

It was very, very beautifully visually; great color saturation and staging. Cheers to whoever got Edge out of the fucking black polo shirts, and Adam looks about as lean and mean as 35 years ago. I think the Jools Tuesday version may have been a better performance, possibly because the bass was higher in the mix and the bridge had better tension, but I'll have to listen on better speakers to be sure.

I missed it, but I'll see if channel 9 do anything with it online

I caught the first part of the interview - and they just put clips of EBW through it, so thank god they put the whole song uncut online. Then I had to change for The Code, because there's no way I was missing that. What a damn good series.

Oh, and Bono took aim at Tony Abbott for the government's refusal to help fight the Ebola crisis. :up:

What's bullshit is cutting to reaction shots of that correspondent during the performance.

Yes, let's look to her to let us know that we should be in rapt attention.

Sent from

I haven't posted on the board for a while, but this new album and the promo appearances have got my U2 fandom revved back up again. I am LOVING the performances of 'Every breaking wave'. This is some of the greatest performances from U2 I've ever heard, and I'm blown away by Bono's voice.

HOWEVER. Bono has to be careful. He has a voice to sustain a whole tour, and you can already hear cracks in his voice. He is giving his absolute all to that song especially and its incredible, but he needs to hold back more, or his voice will blow out. The songs on Songs Of Innocence have some very high parts, not to mention whatever other songs U2 will choose when they go on tour.

But thats not to be negative. Its just being realistic. I love that U2 is back with a solid album and the performance potential for the songs is slowly starting to show. Bring on the tour!!

If no pun was intended , then you would have used correct grammar and said "only God knows." Or were you saying that that is the only thing that God knows? Sorry. The editor in me couldn't let that slip without a snarky comment.

Sent from my HTCONE using U2 Interference mobile app

:doh: seriously?

http://youtu.be/7GnJzqLy2RY

Anyways, watching this old footage again it struck me that California, especially this live arrangement, has more in common with this Beach Boys classic than simply Bono's ad-lib verse. Check it out. Pretty cool on their part.

Sent from my ass crack

Full clip available U2

That vocal was beyond strained, and the breakdown section was perhaps the weakest executed of all the promo appearances I've seen so far. Like an old man wheezing for air.

Right, but some people like a performer who pushes pass his or her limits in a performance. An example would be my girlfriend. Not a big U2 fan at all and barely knows anything other than their huge hits (wowy, one, mw, bd, etc).

She really likes the new album because I'm playing it a lot so she is exposed to it but she didn't really click with EBW until these acoustic performances and it was entirely because of the way Bono was singing it, warts and all.

Her favourite song was probably Raised by Wolves prior to hearing the acoustic EBW.

Right, but some people like a performer who pushes pass his or her limits in a performance. An example would be my girlfriend.

giphy.gif

Every breaking wave is getting the treatment of "one" right now. It isn't worthy at all in my opinion. The song makes me cringe.

What's bullshit is cutting to reaction shots of that correspondent during the performance.

Sent from

:up:

it made me laugh out loud seeing that - kind of kept ruining the moment! :lol:

If no pun was intended , then you would have used correct grammar and said "only God knows." Or were you saying that that is the only thing that God knows? Sorry. The editor in me couldn't let that slip without a snarky comment.

Sent from my HTCONE using U2 Interference mobile app

Oh, don't worry, I DID intend that pun because it was just too perfect not to write that (esp. for a song that recalls The Beach Boys which U2 intentionally wrote in mind). :D

Sent from

I'm kind of disappointed that there weren't any reaction shots from the other bands/artists in the Jools Holland performances of U2 because I always like to see what the other bands' reactions are. :sexywink:

I'm kind of disappointed that there weren't any reaction shots from the other bands/artists in the Jools Holland performances of U2 because I always like to see what the other bands' reactions are. :sexywink:

Reaction shots are cheap and manipulative.

Sent from

Right, but some people like a performer who pushes pass his or her limits in a performance.

There's pushing past limits, and then there's just plain botching. This falls into the latter category. Bono could not hit the high notes in the chorus; I don't know why he bothers trying. Just sing it normally, stick to the melody. And that bridge...

Still, it's nice to hear Bono sing with such commitment. It's been a while.

There's pushing past limits, and then there's just plain botching. This falls into the latter category. Bono could not hit the high notes in the chorus; I don't know why he bothers trying. Just sing it normally, stick to the melody. And that bridge...

Still, it's nice to hear Bono sing with such commitment. It's been a while.

Right, I'm just saying that despite all this I know of at least three people who are having positive reactions to it.

Every breaking wave is getting the treatment of "one" right now. It isn't worthy at all in my opinion. The song makes me cringe.

Not really. If any song on SOI is getting the One treatment it's Crystal Balroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom