Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday's show is recorded from 8 on a Tuesday night before they do a shorter version live at 10. I think sometimes if they do a better performance on the live broadcast that just gets put in the Friday edition. (Though that might be bollocks)

Bands also get a chance to record a song again if they aren't happy with it/are asked to by the show, which explains the quite clunky edit at the start of the second verse of California.

I don't think the "Santa Barbara" intro would work in a live arrangement (and I have no problem with it), but based on the Jools Holland performance, I'm really digging how it starts out live.

I did enjoy California. The live version is less pop/cheese, esp. without the bar-bar-bullshit, and lyrically it's really growing on me a lot.

Really liked California. Great song. Easily the song that has grown on me the most over the past month.

I noticed that every breaking wave was a different performance, didn't notice volcano was different too (maybe because I obsessively watched and re-watched EBW and not volcano).

What site did you see these "alternate" performances?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It's pretty interesting how people can watch the same performance and come away with totally different impressions. While I respect the opinion of those who disagree, to my ears the performance of California was pretty unremarkable, and in fact sounded pretty awkward to me, almost like a garage band. The song definitely benefits from the production on the album, IMO.

In fact none of the full band performances I've heard so far have really blown me away. I haven't much cared for the acoustic versions either, but that's more my usual ambivalence towards acoustic U2 and not a reflection on those perormances. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it but something feels off. And as almost every U2 song is improved live, I really hope they get this sorted by the time they hit the stage (and I'm sure they will). I really can't remember how they sounded on other post 2000 promo tours, and maybe they just need more time with the songs.

It's pretty interesting how people can watch the same performance and come away with totally different impressions. While I respect the opinion of those who disagree, to my ears the performance of California was pretty unremarkable, and in fact sounded pretty awkward to me, almost like a garage band. The song definitely benefits from the production on the album, IMO

Glad someone else isn't drinking the Kool-Aid.

I noticed that every breaking wave was a different performance, didn't notice volcano was different too (maybe because I obsessively watched and re-watched EBW and not volcano).

I too obsessively watched EBW from the first showing of Jools.
I noticed a lot more spit from Bono during a close up toward the climax of the song, that's when I thought "this is a different version.." :wave:

I wish they would play the Epworth version of Ordinary Love on the promo tour. That'd be cool. They will definetly play Ordinary Love because they submitted it for a couple Grammy's. The acoustic version is good, but the full band version is better and more Grammy-winning esque.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What site did you see these "alternate" performances?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I watched the program yesterday through the link that U2Uruguay twitted

Edit: But I understand that the show is in the BBC iPlayer now... You just need to use an UK proxy to watch it

And... If you want to watch the BBC videos in youtube you can use this website http://www.proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php, just select the UK server from the dropdown

I too obsessively watched EBW from the first showing of Jools.
I noticed a lot more spit from Bono during a close up toward the climax of the song, that's when I thought "this is a different version.." :wave:

Lol! That's why the views counter kept increasing :wink:, I noticed it at the beginning when Bono walked towards the mic, in the Tuesday performance he was standing there already

It's pretty interesting how people can watch the same performance and come away with totally different impressions. While I respect the opinion of those who disagree, to my ears the performance of California was pretty unremarkable, and in fact sounded pretty awkward to me, almost like a garage band. The song definitely benefits from the production on the album, IMO.

In fact none of the full band performances I've heard so far have really blown me away. I haven't much cared for the acoustic versions either, but that's more my usual ambivalence towards acoustic U2 and not a reflection on those perormances. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it but something feels off. And as almost every U2 song is improved live, I really hope they get this sorted by the time they hit the stage (and I'm sure they will). I really can't remember how they sounded on other post 2000 promo tours, and maybe they just need more time with the songs.
I pretty much agree. EBW acoustic is average at best. The way Bono sings the 'baby every dog...' bit makes me cringe on the acoustic version and the bridge sounds forced. I like the full band album version. The live versions of Volcano and California were weak, although at least they were full band versions. Edge needs to turn his frigging guitar up cos otherwise these songs sound too weak live

Can you guys who have the two performances pop them into the youtube links thread, with a note about which was which for future reference? I put something in there but now I'm not sure which it was. :doh:

I dont think admiring the spare rawness and the mostly superlative singing of these versions of EBW is drinking the Kool-Aid. I think they think EBW has one of their best, most beautiful melodies (I'd agree) and these performances showcase that. Which is probably the point.

It's rare that a TV performance is anywhere the real thing, so I wouldn't get too worried yet, nor would I step on fans who are understandably delighted to hear new U2 material live. It's good to be critical and discerning and expect big things from a band that demands as much, but other people aren't necessarily stupid for liking something.

Sent from

California...great job by Bono, not an easy song to sing and he handled ir flawlessly, but Edge needs to support him with backing vocal in the refrain! I also missed the synths in the refrain, they are very cool. I also missed Santa Barbara, but i guess that wouldn´t work live. Edge´s playing in the 2nd verse was awkward, compeletly ruins the dance flow of the song.

Finally watched California. A little rough, but I just love the song.

I did like how Bono threw in a God Only Knows line. Exchanging one Beach Boys reference for another. Well done, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom