Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
California was a realy good one, realy good sound. Also nice to see that Bono sings it perfectly, it is a fast song and he never fall out of breath in that performence.

Well, California is my least favourite song on SOI but I was pretty pleased with that performance. It's definitely better than the album version (because that godawful intro is gone) and better than the acoustic version (because it's not acoustic). I liked it, and if Edge is let loose a bit more it would be even better.

But it is as slight a song as they've ever put on an album. The over all big message is a good one -- there is no end to grief therefore no end to love -- but musically there's not much there. Which is fine, not everything g has to have the weight of MOS, but this one is as wispy as a sitcom actress.

See, to refer back to one of our recent discussions, I feel like this is a good description of Stuck; not much there at all. And songs like Crazy Tonight are even more slight. But I see where you're coming from, absolutely. This live version is a bit of pleasant ear candy and then it's gone.

Because they have 125,000 posts.

Yep, post count is definitely relevant to how valid somebody's point is.

California was good. Fun and quick.

But it is as slight a song as they've ever put on an album. The over all big message is a good one -- there is no end to grief therefore no end to love -- but musically there's not much there. Which is fine, not everything g has to have the weight of MOS, but this one is as wispy as a sitcom actress.

Sent from

Good pop.

Always been one of my favourites, I missed the "Santa Barbara" intro but other than that, good for a first live version.

Just getting into this thread now....

Good thread so far, I'm liking what people have to say!

Though I wish they would just do full band electric performances, I wouldn't mind this acoustic stuff now if they are getting it out of their system before the tour. I generally prefer electric at all times, but with that being said, I was elated that SFS got that performance on the couch. I think it put to bed any One Republic/One Direction/cheese pop/whatever comparisons that, in my opinion, were never valid anyway.

I liked every song better after hearing it live. The Miracle especially keeps improving.

The biggest standouts so far, to me. And I may be crazy, so feel free to critique!

1.) Stuck- Not the biggest fan of this song in the first place. Radio in Boston played it way too much compared to Walk On and Elevation, so I was sick of it in 2001. Then they started playing it acoustically under the claw as we all know. I think I've seen acoustic Stuck at most of my U2 shows. Including in place of the Zoo TV encore on Vertigo!!!!

Putting some distance between it getting played to death on the radio and overstaying its welcome in set lists, I've come to personally appreciate the song and especially the message behind it. It truly is a great song, and though musically not very interesting, something about it makes it unique in their catalog.

That being said, did anyone else think that was the best performance of it since the Elevation promo tour? Or given Bono's voice, maybe the best ever? I think so.

2.) Volcano and California- Both these performances were spectacular, period. Even more so given it was the first time through. Unlike say, Miracle Drug or Crazy Tonight from the last promo tours, these aren't easy songs to sing or play. They're knocking these performances out of the park!!

3.) Larry and Adam shine here just as they do on the album. Both are unbelievable! I'm so excited especially with Larry! I wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but the way he's going now, he could easily knock out some God Part II, Hawkmoon, Another Time, Another Place, Twilight, Like A Song, Two Hearts or a full throttle version of Bullet or Gloria.

Larry and Adam are playing like they did in 1983.

Bring back some of those early rockers, please!!!!!

I fear that you and I will have to keep dreaming, but if only...!

I hope it happens, Ax.

I love how the U2 set list master is a fellow early 1980s U2 fanatic:up::up:

I was over at U2 gigs for the first time in a while, like what you've done with the predictions!

So overall, what do you think the chances are that U2 connects SOI with the early stuff more than they did with HTDAAB?

Or put another way, do you think we have a realistic chance of the early days getting represented as well as or better than they did on Vertigo?

Well, California is my least favourite song on SOI but I was pretty pleased with that performance. It's definitely better than the album version (because that godawful intro is gone) and better than the acoustic version (because it's not acoustic). I liked it, and if Edge is let loose a bit more it would be even better.

See, to refer back to one of our recent discussions, I feel like this is a good description of Stuck; not much there at all. And songs like Crazy Tonight are even more slight. But I see where you're coming from, absolutely. This live version is a bit of pleasant ear candy and then it's gone.

Yep, post count is definitely relevant to how valid somebody's point is.

You misread me. I was saying just the opposite. 125,000 posts does not make you valid. It just makes you really really old. It was snark. But on the other hand I think there is much more leeway with longtime posters. back to California...top 4 for me. But then again I like it all. And will hear about it.

I hope it happens, Ax.

I love how the U2 set list master is a fellow early 1980s U2 fanatic:up::up:

I was over at U2 gigs for the first time in a while, like what you've done with the predictions!

So overall, what do you think the chances are that U2 connects SOI with the early stuff more than they did with HTDAAB?

Or put another way, do you think we have a realistic chance of the early days getting represented as well as or better than they did on Vertigo?

It's obvious that SOI connects more with Boy October and UF(lazy) So I would expect them to go back to their innocence. yes.

None planned, but I imagine an American Late night show circuit is just around the corner.

U2 doesn't have to promote themselves anymore...either you love them or you were born reptilian needing glasses on a desert isle somewhere in the Indian Ocean not unlike St John on Patmos and Revelations. What channel they on?

U2 doesn't have to promote themselves anymore...either you love them or you were born reptilian needing glasses on a desert isle somewhere in the Indian Ocean not unlike St John on Patmos and Revelations. What channel they on?

True enough, they dont have to promote themselves but they do need to promote the record.

Cheers, I've been enjoying writing the predictions; I'll probably post my predictions for the 2000s albums in the coming week or two, assuming all remains quiet on the promo gig front.

I imagine the SOI stuff might be linked in strongly with some early stuff, but the HTDAAB/early material link was made a very explicit and obvious part of the Vertigo Tour. If they revisit the theme I imagine they will do it with quite a different angle. I hope that is the case, because I'd love to see more overlooked tracks returned from their very, very long rest.

For instance, instead of digging up early stuff simply to dig up early stuff, I can see them emphasising songs that are rooted in specific places or events that are relevant to the narrative of looking back at where you came from, who you associated with, and what events shaped you. That would inevitably mean a lot of stuff from the first four albums would be in contention, but with quite a different spin to Vertigo.

You misread me. I was saying just the opposite.

You might want to go back and re-read my post with your sarcasm detector turned on.

I've found it interesting that all of The Miracle, Volcano and California (the three songs played full band as on album, EBW is close) have been totally re-imagined from their album form. The Miracle guitar tone is totally different, Edge's riff in the verse on Graham Norton all very different. Volcano, the bridge harmonics are great in the intro, the breakdown is significantly different. California really beefed up guitars from the second verse on. It is a big improvement. And no intro FTW.

I've found it interesting that all of The Miracle, Volcano and California (the three songs played full band as on album, EBW is close) have been totally re-imagined from their album form. The Miracle guitar tone is totally different, Edge's riff in the verse on Graham Norton all very different. Volcano, the bridge harmonics are great in the intro, the breakdown is significantly different. California really beefed up guitars from the second verse on. It is a big improvement. And no intro FTW.

The intro to the Rolling Stone article gave an interesting perspective on how The Miracle's live guitar tone originated.

Just watching jools holland from last night and volcano for some reason comes off loads better then tuesday night. Its slighty longer and theres different camera angles. Seems to focus on Bono alot more.

It looked and sounded great.

Is this just me or does anyone else agree

Whoa, that live performance of California is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Whoa, that live performance of California is amazing.

Agreed. The live versions of this album are really impressive so far. Hopefully we get Iris and Reach Around during the tour. :drool:

You misread me. I was saying just the opposite. 125,000 posts does not make you valid. It just makes you really really old. It was snark. But on the other hand I think there is much more leeway with longtime posters. back to California...top 4 for me. But then again I like it all. And will hear about it.

:up:

Thanks for your contribution.

I thought California sounded great, as did EBW on Jools. Volcano was a bit wobbly but it should grow into a beast by the time the tour starts. The Miracle sounded 100x better on graham norton than it did at the apple convention. Good signs.

The only thing I don't like is that I think they will start to associate Cedarwood road as an acoustic song and not even attempt a full band version, which will be a travesty if true .

Just watching jools holland from last night and volcano for some reason comes off loads better then tuesday night. Its slighty longer and theres different camera angles. Seems to focus on Bono alot more.

...it's the same performance.

I hope they do all new songs in full electric versions, as they all sound great that way. EBW could be the only exception, but still with full band and piano.

California sounded really good, I'm liking it more now than I used to before the live debut.

Not sure if serious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom