Song Arrangements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was he watching the zoo tv dvd the otehr night and realized what made U2show so "fresh" at the time......they basically changed around all the arrangements of the songs and gave us something new we hadnt heard before.......from BTBS to DESIRE to RTSS to AOH (satelite stage).......to me thats what makes a show stand out, i dont wanna hear a recreation of the album....i want some creativity!! can the boys get back to this!?

I wouldn't say no to them doing that again .... unless they totally ruined a song I loved. :wink:

BTBS and RTSS changes on every tour they play it.

AOH... I'm not sure playing it acoustic really qualifies as a new arrangement, otherwise you can say U2 did that for quite a few songs this tour.

This tour they have changed Crazy Tonight, Blue Room, IALW, and Ultraviolet just to name a few.

It's always easy to nitpick the current tour, next tour you'll be praising 360...

AOH... I'm not sure playing it acoustic really qualifies as a new arrangement, otherwise you can say U2 did that for quite a few songs this tour.

It's always easy to nitpick the current tour, next tour you'll be praising 360...

before zoo tv there was never a satelite stage or acoustic versions of any songs that i can remember

as for your second comment......im pretty sure that myself and anyone else who saw zoo tv will never see ANYTHING like that again......360 has the technology but it doesnt have the soul that zoo tv had

ZOO TV was a living, breathing entity upon itself.......basicly an art exhibition that went from town to town blowing minds in 1991/1992....

Ebttrt

Soooooo, how about that version of EBTTRT they broke out last night to open the show!!

Now if only they would open with sting ray into that version of EBTTRT when they play the giants stadium.

That's not their rearrangement. They're just playing (mostly noodling over) a remix.

Nowhere it stated that it had to be their rearrangement. He simply asked about song rearrangement. A remix is a rearrangement.

And saltlick is correct, as the live version is a mix between the regular EBTTRT and the Perfecto remix.

they basically changed around all the arrangements of the songs and gave us something new we hadnt heard before

Good point. Bob Dylan also re-arranges his old songs on tour. It seems to work well for him.

This tour they have changed Crazy Tonight, Blue Room, IALW, and Ultraviolet just to name a few.

Subtle changes at best for the three songs you've mentioned, apart from Crazy Tonight. Nowhere near the completely new versions of Bullet and Running To Stand Still on ZooTV, or The Fly on Elevation to name a few.

New Even Better Than the Real Thing may be influenced by Perfecto Mix, but it's U2's new arrangement of the song.

It's also an Interference syndrome to be actually praising this tour and nitpicking the last one.

Ultra Violet has been changed, even subtly? I didn't notice. Which I suppose proves djerdap's point.

Though I guess I'm not exactly expert on that song's nuances, given that I wouldn't willingly listen to it in the first place.

Ultra Violet has been changed, even subtly? I didn't notice. Which I suppose proves djerdap's point.

Though I guess I'm not exactly expert on that song's nuances, given that I wouldn't willingly listen to it in the first place.

I know you won't do it :)wink:), but if you listen to a ZooTV version of Ultraviolet and then listen to a 360 version of it, there are some differences between the two. The guitar in 360 sounds fresher and the drums are more prominent, amongst other things.

Heh. There are differences in Edge's guitar playing, especially during the bridge, but these kinds of small changes do appear on songs when played at different stages.

It's not like it has a brand new intro, a totally new guitar solo, new outro or new lyrics, which is something U2 has done in its live past (Bullet being the primary example) and it is definitely one of their main assets as a live band. It's a shame 360 didn't capitalize on this more. But I'm at least thankful it got a good opener finally!

Nowhere it stated that it had to be their rearrangement. He simply asked about song rearrangement. A remix is a rearrangement.

And saltlick is correct, as the live version is a mix between the regular EBTTRT and the Perfecto remix.

The version of EBTTRT they've played recently reminds me more of the Apollo 440 Stealth Sonic Remix: http://youtu.be/NDxG6ikuk0I

Willie said in a recent diary (I believe) that it is "Dec's mix" of EBTTRT. I think Declan Gaffney is doing remixes of different tunes for them, and they really loved this one.

I really, really hope we get to hear the rearrangement of Magnificent Willie's been talking about in the near future. Not that I want an OONTS OONTS OONTS version live or anything, but Magnificent has never been quite as awesome as it should be on 360, and a new arrangement could potentially fix that. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Magnificent has never been as awesome as it was on the beach clip. Hopefully the 'new' arrangement is actually a massively old one!

I know you won't do it :)wink:), but if you listen to a ZooTV version of Ultraviolet and then listen to a 360 version of it, there are some differences between the two. The guitar in 360 sounds fresher and the drums are more prominent, amongst other things.

Heh. There are differences in Edge's guitar playing, especially during the bridge, but these kinds of small changes do appear on songs when played at different stages.

To reply to both of these at once, if this is really all that has changed, I don't know how anybody could claim it as a re-invention, even of the most subtle order. This just seems to be part of the regular sort of change between tours. We might as well start talking about how U2 have regularly re-invented I Will Follow because of changes to its guitar tone.

(And quite right I'm not going to listen to a ZooTV UV! Unless you pay me ...)

The EBTTRT that opened La Plata 1&2 definitely seemed a lot faster in parts.

Anyone comment on that?

Is this a new mix? A combination of perfecto and something else??

I wonder how La Plata 3 went coming in from Boots. Did they play it like on Zoo TV, Popmart and Elevation or did they keep the new arrangement?

That will be interesting when the video pops up.

The EBTTRT that opened La Plata 1&2 definitely seemed a lot faster in parts.

Anyone comment on that?

Is this a new mix? A combination of perfecto and something else??

I wonder how La Plata 3 went coming in from Boots. Did they play it like on Zoo TV, Popmart and Elevation or did they keep the new arrangement?

That will be interesting when the video pops up.

Yeah I mentioned it a few posts up:

It is a new mix by Declan Gaffney (of Fish Out of Water fame).

Back
Top Bottom