Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So...about that Kygo remix of The Best Thing...

Under the video on youtube, it says this:

Apparently airplay points of remixes count towards the original song unless the remix is drastically different. I would think that a Kygo remix might see some decent airplay. Maybe. :shrug:

It's a big if. But according to Alan Cross, they're really banking on radio for this to become a big hit in the mainstream well after the initial hype in the usual circles dies down.

Will be interesting. I hope this obsession with being 'raw' doesn't backfire. It could neuter a good pop song that needs some synth/atmospherics to drive it along

It will be interesting to see what they do with this song. Though the odds are stacked against them quite heavily at all Contemporary Hit Radio. Adult Top 40 might be easier (though that's not technically part of the "Top 40").

Not to mention that rock bands, particularly older ones, have very little streaming presence. They were lucky that the got 11 million+ plays in a week on facebook. Of course, if that had been Youtube or Spotify, it could have actually counted towards the singles chart. Hell, 11 million streams of one pre-released song on Spotify would end up counting as an automatic 7,000 album units come release week as well.

It will be interesting to see what they do with this song. Though the odds are stacked against them quite heavily at all Contemporary Hit Radio. Adult Top 40 might be easier (though that's not technically part of the "Top 40").

Not to mention that rock bands, particularly older ones, have very little streaming presence. They were lucky that the got 11 million+ plays in a week on facebook. Of course, if that had been Youtube or Spotify, it could have actually counted towards the singles chart. Hell, 11 million streams of one pre-released song on Spotify would end up counting as an automatic 7,000 album units come release week as well.

This is my point about the strangeness of the decision to not put out the album version - and why I think it will go up in some form the second the album is announced.

So where will we hear the new single first??? On radio station?? Leak online??? U2 facebook page?

I'd say if the radio release is a set time, it would make sense they drop it to other mediums either immediately after, or at the same time.

Dave Fanning must be pissed?

That method of counting streams toward the album sales in the release week is part of how Arcade Fire (LCD Soundsystem surely at the end of this week) scored #1 albums on the Billboard Hot 200 this year. They release a good 3 or 4 songs before the album (each getting 1 -2 million streams) and voila, an instant bonus of a good 5 - 6k album equivalent units to give them the edge (as they have a decent amount of CD/vinyl/MP3 sales but few full album streams, like a 20k to 1k ratio). Well that and picking slow release weeks (and counting ticket sales packaged with the new album as album sales...

Of course with current hip-hop and pop acts it's the reverse. They may only sell 15k CDs/downloads in the first week, but these albums will be streamed in their entiriety several million times in the first week in addition to the lead single usually having a good 50 to 100 million streams already, so their streaming to sales equivalent ends up being like 200k units.

So where will we hear the new single first??? On radio station?? Leak online??? U2 facebook page?

I would hope it gets released instantly to Spotify, Youtube (preferably in music video, if not at least lyric video form), and iTunes simultaneously at the scheduled release time and that U2's social media includes links to purchase and stream it.

As far as radio goes, I know KROQ are going to play it this morning and I would imagine several other stations, but it doesn't official get a heavy promotional push to any radio stations until next Wednesday (and it's only Alternative and AAA at the moment). This is just for America though, no idea about elsewhere.

Whether or not it will be the album version or Kygo remix I don't know (but I'd assume the former). When the Kygo version gets released too and how they release it (promo push to other radio formats? alternate music video?) still remains to be seen as well.

Backstreets, you sound well informed re the music industry!

I'm mostly an amateur but I have friends who dabble.

Personally, I do love to keep on top of my favorite bands' and their success within the industry It really makes me happy when a band like U2 shows they've got what it takes (provided the songs themselves are good of course).

I kind of have a knack for this stuff. Not to brag but I found out about Sufjan Stevens in 2005, Arcade Fire in 2004, The War on Drugs in 2008, and relatively newer acts like Foster the People (of #3 hit Pumped up Kicks fame), Sam Smith, RnB sensation The Weeknd, Fitz and the Tantrums and Disclosure (of #10 hit Latch fame) a good year and a half before they became hit-scoring acts.

My cousin works as an A&R rep too. He knew about Wilco in the mid-90s, saw Oasis' first ever US show two years before Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova were smash hits. And his dad became an ardent Springsteen fan back in '73 and told everyone who would listen how huge the guy would become.

I'll certainly be doing a lot of blabbing and speculation over in Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills if people care to join me at some point.

I'll certainly be doing a lot of blabbing and speculation over in Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills if people care to join me at some point.

Cool Backstreets, always good to have another contributor over at Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills, welcome.

No leak = no relevance.

IMO

Haha oh wow, so now we have people who aren't going to like the song (before they have heard it), and I can guarantee already who they will be, and now we have this type of post?

Interference is back.....Jack

Maybe. The one that I saved is from a different location so I can't tell for sure. This one was just uploaded with that information that I thought was interesting.

Kygo did start playing it again and the video hasn't been taken down. Seems like a positive development.

Last edited:
I kind of have a knack for this stuff. Not to brag but I found out about Sufjan Stevens in 2005, Arcade Fire in 2004

Arcade Fire in 2004... :drool:

You know, re TBT, there will people here who dislike it simply because it's U2's choice. No matter what song they choose as lead single, it'll be wrong.
And that's ok. My fave band are releasing music 30 years after I fell in love with them. How lucky am I?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom