SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though U2 hasn't made a masterpiece since AB, I think they've done 3 in their career (JT, AB, & UF (close with POP)

Obviously, all three of those involved Eno/Lanois.

I can't be the only one who thinks they might want to work with them again? NLOTH could have been a masterpiece as well...

You just found this? I replaced the album version with it right after it was released and haven't looked back. This one is 5x better.

Musically it's a drastic improvement...but I can't get past the lyric changes...

I'm not sure how much of that is due to the fact that I'm accustomed to the album version.

Are they throwing anyone else off?

Musically it's a drastic improvement...but I can't get past the lyric changes...

I'm not sure how much of that is due to the fact that I'm accustomed to the album version.

Are they throwing anyone else off?
Is it really better though,really? I don't think so anyway.

Yes. It has teeth. And doesn't have that cringe-inducing DEE DOO DEE DOO DOO sound underneath the "If you go".

Adult contemporary tripe.

Why they didn't keep edges guitar like it was played here is beyond me.

I too prefer this very much to the song as it was released, and I think following this one through the finishing process provides a telling window into the failings of latter day U2.

We know Tedder re-wrote the chorus and seems to have crushed the original chorus into double time to use as a bridge. The original chorus is painful and has feeling, specifically longing -- the emotion that makes U2 U2. The double time bridge on the album recording is truly horrific, zero emotional content, rushed claptrap.

The Tedder chorus is a semi-successful pop chorus that has nothing to do with what makes U2 U2, AND was still not truly catchy enough to succeed on pure 2015 pop rock terms.

In short, they traded the original EBW, which was restrained and which was, though admittedly not classic U2, crucially a REAL SONG with real feelings and therefore a good U2 song representative of where U2 was at at the time -- for a cropped and copied and pasted pop-by-numbers bastardization of the original. Not to even mention the production, which can only have made Eno and Lanois sick to their stomachs, did they ever deign to listen.

Sorry, but I do have feelings on this subject. :lol:

Tedder needs away from this band.

To be clear, I don't HATE EBW as revised via Tedder. The piano version at least is OK. But again: they took a solid song with a strong emotional core and sacrificed it on the altar of hoping-for-singles.

:crack:

I too prefer this very much to the song as it was released, and I think following this one through the finishing process provides a telling window into the failings of latter day U2.

We know Tedder re-wrote the chorus and seems to have crushed the original chorus into double time to use as a bridge. The original chorus is painful and has feeling, specifically longing -- the emotion that makes U2 U2. The double time bridge on the album recording is truly horrific, zero emotional content, rushed claptrap.

The Tedder chorus is a semi-successful pop chorus that has nothing to do with what makes U2 U2, AND was still not truly catchy enough to succeed on pure 2015 pop rock terms.

In short, they traded the original EBW, which was restrained and which was, though admittedly not classic U2, crucially a REAL SONG with real feelings and therefore a good U2 song representative of where U2 was at at the time -- for a cropped and copied and pasted pop-by-numbers bastardization of the original. Not to even mention the production, which can only have made Eno and Lanois sick to their stomachs, did they ever deign to listen.

Sorry, but I do have feelings on this subject. :lol:

Tedder needs away from this band.

To be clear, I don't HATE EBW as revised via Tedder. The piano version at least is OK. But again: they took a solid song with a strong emotional core and sacrificed it on the altar of hoping-for-singles.

:crack:

I agree with every point here. Bang on.

I like the released EBW - the chorus completed the song for mine. People are scared of the accessibility of the chorus, but not every song has to be one you have to 'work' to enjoy

I hadn't heard that alternate EBW, but after one listen I still much prefer the album version.

I like the released EBW - the chorus completed the song for mine. People are scared of the accessibility of the chorus, but not every song has to be one you have to 'work' to enjoy

Forget EBW. I'm still confused about Gone never being released as a single.

Back on topic, so chances are that the upcoming NA & SA Legs could include the new single if released in early September

Back on topic, so chances are that the upcoming NA & SA Legs could include the new single if released in early September

I think it is almost certain. And possibly both songs even if only one is released as a single.

At this stage it seems as though single will be out 8 Sept, which is the same day as night 3 of the third leg. I think for sure it will be played there, big question is whether we will get a live sneak peak in Detroit or Buffalo.

We know The Blackout and The Best Thing are the single candidates, and we know they are fine of The Lights at Home (or whatever it is called), and Little Things. I doubt there will be four SOE songs in the set, but I could see there being two.

Why are we even speculating? If they release a single while they're touring of course they're going to play it.

I also doubt they'll play more than one new song per night. If I had to bet I'd say Little Things will totally get the boot and the new single will have a permanent slot. It's the most important thing they've got to promote SOE.

Anything in particular making you so sure? :hmm:
Seems like everyone who hears this stuff, likes this stuff.

And when they talk about what it sounds like, they say it sounds like U2. But not SOI-style u2. Not another 80s throwback either. They cite later u2. bold u2.

..and that's fucking great by me!

Seems like everyone who hears this stuff, likes this stuff.

And when they talk about what it sounds like, they say it sounds like U2. But not SOI-style u2. Not another 80s throwback either. They cite later u2. bold u2.

..and that's fucking great by me!

Yessssss not SOI style and bold sounds brilliant

Back
Top Bottom