Slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ultravioletsky

Babyface
Im sure that this has already been answered, but I haven't found it on the recent forum pages:

Does anyone know what type of slide Edge uses? I'm looking for a slide that will give me a warm sound. I have used metal/chrome slides in the past and they are way too bright, and a bit tinny. I am assuming that a glass or ceramic slide will sound warmer, but I wanted to know what the Edge uses.

Some of the reference songs that include the slide sound I'm looking for are:

Kite, COBL, Sometimes You..., Love/Peace,BTBS etc...

If anyone could pass on some suggestions/links that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Ultravioletsky

PS I am aware that the so-called warm tone that I'm looking for in a slide comes from his combination of amps/effects...!

i think Edge uses bronze slides, but i don't think a different slide would change the sound -- it's all in the effects that Edge uses that makes his slide parts sound good.

Yeah, gotta agree - a different slide isn't going to help at all with a different sound.

Try these pedals (*ALL* VINTAGE):
1. Lovetone meatball
2. Lovetone doppelganger
3. Sobbat distortion
4. Boss OD-1
5. MXR Dynacomy
6. Ibanez TS9
7. TC Electronic parametric EQ
8. Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
9. Boss FA-1 FET
10. Ampeg Scrambler

Try these rack units:
1. Korg A-3 multieffect (x2)
2. Korg SDD-3000 Digital Delay (x3)
3. TC 2290 Digital Delay (x4)
4. Line 6 Pod Pro (x2)
5. Yamaha SPX 1000
6. Eventide Ultraharmonizer
7. AMS Interface
8. AMS Digital Delay
9. Electrix Filter Factory
10. Alesis Data Disc
11. Multiple Custom Switchers for Foot Pedals
12. Furman Power Supplies

PLUS, add the 50 different guitars he can choose from in combination with kick-ass vintage tube amps, you can see that you can come close, but cannot quite get there without about $500,000+ to spend on gear. Add on Dallas Schoo's salary on top of that and have your guitar re-strung and re-tuned after every song. . .

you get the idea. Just learn to get better with the slide and add effects pedals as needed.

Peace! :)

that's cool heheh cost effective, some proffessional guitarists prefer to go to the DIY store and saw off copper pipes to use as a slide but the metal tends to be rough and very blunt i find so i buy a steel slide

I've found this nice brass short slide which covers only 3 strings. If I put it on my middle finger I can even play certain chords while wearing it. On the COBL performances on the BBC and ITV in 2004 I even saw Edge use a similar slide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom