Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure if that was an honest typo, or a little joke about what you thought about the movie. :wink:

In Bruges

It was pretty good. I actually liked Colin Farrell in it, and don't usually care for him. Great cast.

Wall-E

:up: Liked it a lot. Probably not my favorite PIXAR, but much, much better than "Cars", IMO. (I haven't seen "Ratatouille" yet.) My sister thought it was slow in parts. I don't think it was slow, but it definitely lost some of it's zest once the story shifted to solely in space.

But the entire time on Earth I friggin' LOVED! If you've ever had a crush one someone, (and puh-lease! who hasn't!) it's just so relateable.

Cute. Very, very cute. And an amazing job by PIXAR.

Definitely, highly recommend.

I saw Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and thought it was fabulous and hysterical! I'm going to watch it at least one more time before sending it back to Netflix. :up:

Handcock 5 /10

and that may be generous

I like Will Smith, a lot

this is just too uneven

I agree, it was going along in one direction then took a completely different turn a little more than halfway through. I liked it though - not the best movie I've seen this year (probably Iron Man), but far from the worst (Vantage Point). It was a neat twist on the usual superhero flick.

Hancock - 8/10

wow, an 8

I would put

legend

i, robot

independence day

The Pursuit of Happyness

MIB

all at least 2 points over Hancock.

wow, an 8

I would put

legend

i, robot

independence day

The Pursuit of Happyness

MIB

all at least 2 points over Hancock.

8 might have been a little generous, but I wouldn't go lower than a 7. It wasn't terrible, although it showed great promise in the first half then tailed off a bit. Fine acting, and a fantastic premise, it just tried too hard, lost its balls in the second half and turned into just another superhero flick. If the script had stuck to its guns and gone with the setup it was creating (instead of deciding to completely alter the movie with 45 minutes to go), it could have been on par with Iron Man when it comes to 2008 superhero movies.

I have a feeling The Dark Knight is going to crush 'em both, though.

Wanted

Seemed to be in the same mould as 'Shoot Em Up' - stupid, brainless, bloody fun. Angelina Jolie didn't have much to do, Morgan Freeman seemed half asleep and the storyline is absolutely ludicrous. I did like the scene where the office bitch got a good talking to. Apart from that... meh. Fun, but stupid.

Wall-E

:up: Liked it a lot. Probably not my favorite PIXAR, but much, much better than "Cars", IMO. (I haven't seen "Ratatouille" yet.) My sister thought it was slow in parts. I don't think it was slow, but it definitely lost some of it's zest once the story shifted to solely in space.

But the entire time on Earth I friggin' LOVED! If you've ever had a crush one someone, (and puh-lease! who hasn't!) it's just so relateable.

Cute. Very, very cute. And an amazing job by PIXAR.

Definitely, highly recommend.

I loved this film. Wall-E seemed like a long-lost relative. :love:

I can't say I was disappointed about Hancock because I had such low expectations for it. Lady Friend and I would have rather seen Wall*E, but our other friends saw it the day before. The beginning was promising enough, and I was with it up until the bank robbery sequence. After that, it became a terrible example of the genre it tried to satirize. The Charlize Theron twist is so easy to call and unnecessary to the story, I think. It leaves the entire third act feeling incredibly off-kilter. Apparently the script's been shopped around Hollywood for years, and while it's the right time for a film like this, what could've been a brilliant spin on the newly huge superhero genre was watered down and just merely a bunch of good ideas in an otherwise lame movie. In the end, you just can't connect with any of the major characters, with the exception of Jason Bateman's character, because of the forced storyline. That being said, it wasn't a bad movie - just what could've been a great movie reduced to OK Summer filler, even if box office giant Will Smith is in this.

**1/2

Wall-E - 9.0

I'm going to have a lot easier a time reflecting on this film by only picking out what I didn't like about it. Besides the things I mention below, I was absolutely enamored with it. I think it's the clear pick for best Pixar endeavor to date, and will likely remain one of my favorite animated features for a long time. It was brilliantly crafted, insanely heartwarming and cute, had my laughing in the theater the most since Superbad, and showcased absolutely SPECTACULAR sound design. Now onto my issues, which I shall enumerate like a tool.

3. As the film progressed, it became increasingly predictable in terms of plot. While it began with a great sense of wonder and discovery, the necessity of narrative called for a turn towards a distinct conclusion which unfortunately could have been handled with a bit more imagination.

2. This is a tricky one, and it's probably too early decide exactly how I feel about it, but it probably warrants mention regardless, just keep in mind I'm still of two minds on this particular issue. Fat people. Without getting into specifics, I completely understand the decision to portray the humans in this film as the filmmakers chose, and even commend them on making a truly ballsy decision like that in a children's film. Kudos Pixar, you've got balls. On the other hand, I have some problems with said design. For one thing, it's almost unbearably lacking in anything remotely resembling subtlety. Now, like I said, it's blatant criticism it part of what makes it such a bold move, but I can't help but imagine the film being more effective with a more subtle and (again) imaginative means of expressing their criticisms on Western consumerism. And for another thing, some moments of such criticism were almost so blunt and scathing that I myself had to cringe. I'm not exactly the best image of fitness and hard work, but I can't even imagine the reactions of the more slobbish and lazy viewers on my theater tonight. Yeesh.

1. Finally, my biggest fault with Wall-E is closely tied into the other two issues. At some point in the film, the focus shifts from an entirely robot perspective to an increasingly wider perspective including the human characters. As such, there was increasingly less Wall-E and EVE in my Wall-E, and while the stuff with the Captain and passengers was still enjoyable, it was considerably less engaging than following out two main characters. If the film were design with a more narrow focus on Wall-E and EVE, while still achieving its broader thematic goals and epic scope, it could have been an unrivaled masterpiece instead of a merely exceptional work of filmmaking.

So ultimately, I love Wall-E, but it's far from perfect. The combined effect of my problems with it result in a general steady decrease in enjoyment through out the duration of the flick. It starts off on an absolute astonishing high note, and merely settles down to a simply satisfactory one, with a few peaks and valleys in between. However, despite these flaws, this is a must-see feature, and serves as a real creative landmark for Pixar and indeed Western animation as a whole.

Wall-E - 9.0

1. Finally, my biggest fault with Wall-E is closely tied into the other two issues. At some point in the film, the focus shifts from an entirely robot perspective to an increasingly wider perspective including the human characters. As such, there was increasingly less Wall-E and EVE in my Wall-E, and while the stuff with the Captain and passengers was still enjoyable, it was considerably less engaging than following out two main characters.

The combined effect of my problems with it result in a general steady decrease in enjoyment through out the duration of the flick. It starts off on an absolute astonishing high note, and merely settles down to a simply satisfactory one, with a few peaks and valleys in between.

I agree with your above comments and analysis.

My minute gripe with the film ties in to your #1 criticism. In addition to your observation that the film switches from a more narrow, personal POV to a wider, all encompassing POV -- my gripe is -- the supporting characters are not memorable enough to support the weight of such a shift.

This is one of the few Disney animated films I've seen where almost none of the supporting character or sidekicks were memorable or left any distinctive-lasting flavor with me. The cockroach and the robot that cleans up dirty-wheel messes . . . those are about the only two side-characters that I enjoyed, or would care to see more of. Even the Captain, though amiable and innocuous, I found disposable.

But I agree with you that, despite a few flaws, it was a great, great movie. One that I hope to see again.

Persepolis

Wow, did I love this movie. It was brilliant. I loved the animation and the look of the film.

It was nominated for best animated picture this past year, right? I'm so tired of Disney and Pixar winning the animated awards. I understand some might have actually thought French Rats In Kitchens was the better movie, but I think it's time for them to realize that animation does not have to equal happy fun critters all the time.

Persepolis

Wow, did I love this movie. It was brilliant. I loved the animation and the look of the film.

It was nominated for best animated picture this past year, right? I'm so tired of Disney and Pixar winning the animated awards. I understand some might have actually thought French Rats In Kitchens was the better movie, but I think it's time for them to realize that animation does not have to equal happy fun critters all the time.

Here are the stats on Animated Film Oscars since its creation in 2001. I was kind of surprised at the results:

* 2001 (74th) Shrek - DreamWorks SKG - Aron Warner

o Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius - Paramount Pictures - Steve Oedekerk, John A. Davis
o Monsters, Inc. - Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - Pete Docter, John Lasseter

* 2002 (75th) Spirited Away - Toho (Japan) / Walt Disney Pictures (USA) - Hayao Miyazaki

o Ice Age - 20th Century Fox - Chris Wedge
o Lilo & Stitch - Walt Disney Pictures - Chris Sanders
o Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron - DreamWorks SKG - Jeffrey Katzenberg, Mireille Soria
o Treasure Planet - Walt Disney Pictures - Ron Clements

* 2003 (76th) Finding Nemo Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - Andrew Stanton
o Brother Bear - Walt Disney Picture - Aaron Blaise, Robert Walker
o The Triplets of Belleville - Diaphana Films (France) / Sony Pictures Classics (USA) - Sylvain Chomet

* 2004 (77th) The Incredibles - Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - Brad Bird
o Shark Tale - DreamWorks SKG - Bill Damaschke
o Shrek 2 - DreamWorks SKG - Andrew Adamson

* 2005 (78th) Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - DreamWorks SKG & Aardman Animations - Nick Park, Steve Box
o Howl's Moving Castle - Toho (Japan) / Walt Disney Pictures (USA) - Hayao Miyazaki
o Corpse Bride - Warner Bros. - Mike Johnson, Tim Burton

* 2006 (79th) Happy Feet - Warner Bros. (USA) / Village Roadshow Pictures (Australia) - George Miller
o Cars - Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - John Lasseter
o Monster House - Columbia Pictures - Gil Kenan

* 2007 (80th) Ratatouille - Walt Disney Pictures & Pixar Animation Studios - Brad Bird
o Persepolis - Sony Pictures Classics - Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Paronnaud
o Surf's Up - Columbia Pictures - Lydia Bottegoni, Chris Buck

3 Disney/Pixar, 2 Dreamworks, 1 Foreign, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Thanks - I guess it hasn't been as Disney-centric as I had thought. I think I've just had my fill of Disney/Pixar.

How the hell did Surf's Up get nominated? Were there no other animated movies to choose from?

Thanks - I guess it hasn't been as Disney-centric as I had thought. I think I've just had my fill of Disney/Pixar.

How the hell did Surf's Up get nominated? Were there no other animated movies to choose from?

Same here... Finding Nemo winning anything really pisses me off, then again, I'm one of the few people who's never really liked that movie.

The Simpsons Movie came out that year, too, wonder why it didn't get a nom either.

The Oscar Nomination process bothers the hell out of me. Most of it is studio push+$$$+timing over actual quality, otherwise something as awesome as Zodiac would've gotten some notice last year.

I'm so tired of Disney and Pixar winning the animated awards. I understand some might have actually thought French Rats In Kitchens was the better movie, but I think it's time for them to realize that animation does not have to equal happy fun critters all the time.

Well said, and I like the more abstract method used in Persepolis.

Of course, if I had my way, the Japanese would be winning this every year. Because when Miyazaki doesn't have a film in contention, Satoshi Kon does. As much as I loved Persepolis, Paprika totally blew me away, and pushes the boundaries of the medium more than anything I've seen in a long time.

After seeing L.A. Confidential yesterday, I think I've come to the conclusion that 1997 had some of the most kickass films of the decade - Confidential, Boogie Nights, Jackie Brown, Good Will Hunting, and Waiting for Guffman... yet Titanic won all of the awards. That's as solid of a Top 5 until you get to the mindfuck that was 1999.

I can barely put into words how much I loved L.A. Confidential... it's got me really psyched to start watching some film noirs.

On the other hand, Blue Velvet left me pretty underwhelmed. It's probably just not right for me. Like with Dune, Lynch's visual style kept me interested, but apart from Dennis Hopper, the "In Dreams" sequence, and first "voyeur" scene, I could not say I liked it all that much.

Don't forget The Sweet Hereafter. That is one hell of a film, and actually managed to score directing and screenplay noms.

Also Robert Duvall's The Apostle, Donnie Brasco, Wag the Dog, Deconstructing Harry, Kundun, and Gattaca.

And of course you have lesser but entertaining fare from good directors like Starship Troopers, The Fifth Element and Face/Off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom