Random Movie Talk IX: Insurrection? More Like Insur-SUCK-tion, Amirite???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, speaking of Wagner [insert obligatory NSW joke here], the Metropolitan Opera will open a new production of Das Rheingold later this month, followed by Die Walküre in the spring (actually leading the the full Ring cycle in the 2011-2 season). The production is put together by Robert Lapage. I saw his epic play "Lipsynch" last year and was thoroughly impressed, so I have high expectations for Das Rheingold. The opera should be available in many cities through the Met Live HD series (they broadcast it to movie theaters, often live). You can check the programme here: 2010-11 Live in HD Season

Edit: the list of theaters that broadcast it live is here: http://www.ncm.com/FathomContent/PDF/Met_Live_theaters_082510.pdf

So it looks like Mysteries of Lisbon is not only a 4.5 hour feature film, but there will be an expanded version on television in a 6 hour miniseries.

Mysteries of Lisbon by Raúl Ruiz

Awesome.

Here are some stills (some with the TV framing, others in 'scope):

img4.jpg

img2.jpg

img3.jpg

img8.jpg

misterios_de_lisboa1.jpg

misterios_de_lisboa5.jpg

misterios_de_lisboa4.jpg

:drool:

Great screencaps. Amazing how much better his films look in motion though.

Also, my seething jealousy of gump knows no boundries.

Really beautiful screencaps. I love the one with the clock.

The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting is on top of my Netflix queue, btw.

Also, my seething jealousy of gump knows no boundries.

:hug: I'm actually a bit concerned that I may have to travel for work that week, but it's still unlikely at this point. Fingers crossed.

Did you decide whether you are staying beyond Uncle Boonmee?

Anyone heard of this?

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like something that would be right up everyone's alley.

I love that there is something called The Perrier Awards. Do they distribute bottled water to the winners?

:hug: I'm actually a bit concerned that I may have to travel for work that week, but it's still unlikely at this point. Fingers crossed.

Did you decide whether you are staying beyond Uncle Boonmee?

Well I really hope that turns out to be a non-issue! Unfortunately Uncle Boonmee is all I'll be seeing at NYFF this year, but that's really enough for me. Though we'll be seeing Enter the Void as a general release in the city that weekend, and we're going to see Wicked at the Gershwin Theater with a full back-stage tour and what-not which should be enjoyable.

Well I really hope that turns out to be a non-issue! Unfortunately Uncle Boonmee is all I'll be seeing at NYFF this year, but that's really enough for me. Though we'll be seeing Enter the Void as a general release in the city that weekend, and we're going to see Wicked at the Gershwin Theater with a full back-stage tour and what-not which should be enjoyable.

I'm excited about Enter the Void as well. I missed the special preview at the Lincoln Center a few weeks ago, so I'll catch it when it's released commercially. I've never seen Wicked (I'm a Wizard of Oz fan, though), hope you'll enjoy.

I'm not sure if I mentioned here yet that I've finally gotten back into Mad Men. Started Season 2. It's amaaaaaaaazing.

Sofia Coppola's Somewhere just won the Golden Lion at Venice!

WHOA.

And in interest of equal time, apparently, Vincent Gallo won Best Actor.

Wow. Did not see that coming. But Somewhere? Really? I have such a hard time mustering interest for this one, even with how much I enjoy her previous two. So many other (apparently) more interesting films at Venice this year too.

But Monte Hellman received a special award of some kind for his career. So that's cool.

I must this was a most exciting Venice year for Vincent Gallo. His own film Promises Written in Water was received with about as much :crack: as one would hope, and I really can't wait to see that one. He also directed a new short film being shown out of competition obviously called The Agent which seems kind of interesting. Then he won that best actor award in a Jerzy Skolimowski film...

...which looks pretty great, by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom