Question about guitar picks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevatedmole

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Alright.. interesting question -- I am positive Bono and Edge use guitar picks, but what about Adam? Whenever they zoom in on his guitar, I can't tell at all! So.. if anyone can answer my strange question, it would be very much appreciated
biggrin.gif

------------------
Official Bono Ego Defender

"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

I know the Edge uses Herdim picks, not sure what brand Bono uses. I've never really seen Adam playing with pics, but you dont see bass players using them too often, but i may just be unobservant. Bono and the Edge dont use them all the time either though.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

------------------
Official Bono Ego Defender

"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

adam MUST play with a pick sometimes because i have one of his picks
biggrin.gif

alison

------------------
It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

Hey, I was just going to post this exact same question...I've seen photos of Adam using a pick and using his fingers. So I guess it depends on which song.
The bass player friends I had thought picks were evil, but I suppose it has to do with what you prefer.
I guess we need a bass player to answer.
I always thought you either always used one or never used one.

I was fortunate enough to have front row seats in St. Louis a few years ago, right in front of Adam. On some songs he plays with his fingers, on some he plays with a pick (I recall that on NYD he played with a pick). So on that night, at least, he did both.

Originally posted by u2popmofo:
I know the Edge uses Herdim picks, not sure what brand Bono uses. I've never really seen Adam playing with pics, but you dont see bass players using them too often, but i may just be unobservant. Bono and the Edge dont use them all the time either though.

BTW, for those of you who play electric guitar, the picks the Edge uses are absolutely crucial for getting the Edge sound. The picks have a dimpled grip, and the Edge strikes the strings with the dimples.

I would assume Adam uses a pick for the songs with just your average bass line...ex: NYD, WOWY, etc...and uses his fingers for the more interesting lines...ex: MW, Please, etc...

About Edge's pick....
The brand really isn't that important...you can find plenty of other brands with dimpled or rough surfaces...and that surface is the important thing.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Yes, Edge plays with the side of the pic with the dimples on it and that gives him that chiming sound.

[This message has been edited by Zoomeranger (edited 01-09-2002).]

Adam uses picks for different songs. Its all about the tone of the bass. Use a pick and you get more tone (treble), use fingers and you get less tone (bass). He uses fingers for New Years Day, and uses a pick for I Will Follow.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

Edge only uses the fat side on songs where he has to use a lot of upstroaks he does use both sides depending on the song.Also I believe he uses the pointed side on solos

Bono uses a jim dunlop .53 pick

I believe adam uses a fender hard pick...I may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom