Procrastination...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
...anyone have any tips for dealing with it? I have my public exams in two weeks, and I haven't even STARTED studying for them. They're the final set of exams I'll ever have to take in high school, so you'd think I'd be doing all I can to get them over as quickly as possible. But no. I effing procrastinate. Whenever I try to study, I end up doing something completely different within at least five minutes. It's not like I have a short attention span or anything - I'm always attentive in class, as long as I'm not in something utterly boring like English or geography. I've just developed this sort of aversion to anything dealing with graduation, and I don't know how to get rid of it. I have to do well on these exams, because I won't get into university if I don't.

Short of chaining myself to my desk, I don't know what else to do. :(

Procrastination is a horrible plight...I've been there many times. The times I've ignored stuff were the result of either me not being interested in the thing I'm putting off, or from a fear of failure.

Best advice I could give is to just jump in and do the work. Look at it like you're putting together an album...the inspiring things come from coming up with new ideas and thoughts...but at some point you have to sit down and methodically put it all together in a very uninspiring way.

You are the great album, but if you want the world to hear it, you've got to do the tedious work behind the scenes to make it happen.

I am lady procrastinate. Every year I tell myself I will work harder and by the time exam time rolls round I'm freaking out. This year was the hardest year though. I'm doing exams towards my degree and they are piling the work on. I really couldn't cope and made myself ill with stress. I work really well until the last week from term and realise i have 2 essays due in, 2 orals to prepare, a viva the day after which involves knowing 6 spanish poems off by heart and then wonder where I'll find the time to do it all because written exams are in the same space of 8 days.

The only way I could do work was force myself to go to the library and just stay there. Don't worry about how late you've left it. It's never too late. Just focus on what you can do. I don't know what subjects you do but back when I was doing my A-levels (the final public exams you do before going to uni in school) I studied English and 2 foreign languages. For the literature aspect I would re-read books. Make notes. Make spider diagrams about important things.

Three years later and I follow much the same technique. As I read a lot of books I will read over important chapters we have talked about in class. I'll re-read notes and shrink them down and get all the important stuff on one page. I'll also make my spider diagrams with quotes, critics quotes etc. Then, before bed every night I will relax and read over what I've done that day. It really is the best way to let everything sink in. :up:

I have friends who have to copy out their notes again and again before it sinks in. Other friends prefer to go to the library at 3am and study then when it's quiet. Everyone is different and you just have to find a method that suits you.

A lot of my course is based on translation, written skills and oral work i.e. you can never learn everything and you can't learn it all in one week. I have to constantly be up-to-date and read foreign newspapers and know what is happening in France and Spain. I always have a literature subject and 2 mini-modules that require a lot of reading books and reading books/ articles from the library. University life is a lot different from school life, you really will have to push yourself to work yourself because nobody, unless you ask for advice, will be telling you what you need to do. An hour a week isn't going to be enough time for you to learn everything you need to and the onus will be on you to spend the rest of your time building up on what you've studied in class. That pretty goes for much subjects I suspect. My friends who study pharmacy are always in the library reading up and studying too.

I spend 9 hours in classes a week and everyday I am in uni I spend the rest of my time in the library doing work. My adivice would be if you get into a good routine of doing this, you will be well prepared to revise for your exams. I wish someone had told me this before I went to uni, I also wish I could follow my own advice and work as hard all year round as I do in the first half of the semester. :lol:

Good luck, I am sure you will do fine. I alays end up getting well above the year average, I think we tend to be harder on ourselves than we need to be sometimes. :hug:

Last edited:
its easier to get yourself to stury if you study with a couple of friends, especially if they're not procrastinators like us

melon said:
Study in a library.

Melon

My school days are behind me for now, but, I could not give better advice. Going to the library was a real tonic for me when I knew I was putting off the inevitable. This was before the internet and such (late 80's-early 90's people, lest you think I used to travel on horseback, too), so I kind of had to go to the library. But I always found that I did my best work there.

Anyway, regardless of what you decide to do, good luck, I'm sure you'll get everything done, and well, and on time.

Bravo for the "Lady Procrastinate" comment earlier in the thread, made me laugh.

No spoken words said:

My school days are behind me for now, but, I could not give better advice. Going to the library was a real tonic for me when I knew I was putting off the inevitable. This was before the internet and such (late 80's-early 90's people, lest you think I used to travel on horseback, too), so I kind of had to go to the library. But I always found that I did my best work there.

Anyway, regardless of what you decide to do, good luck, I'm sure you'll get everything done, and well, and on time.

Bravo for the "Lady Procrastinate" comment earlier in the thread, made me laugh.

That was a description of myself in the most erudite terms possible. :up:

We have something like 4 or 5 libraries at our university, the main one is attached to a grotesque tower building with 11 floors but each floor has sets of single desks on each side i.e. there's always somewhere to go study but at exam time you have to stake your seat at about 9 in the morning. It's really great for getting revision done because you have no distractions whatsoever. I don't go on the internet at uni unless it's to do research. Personally, I prefer to do all my reading from books in the library. Staring at the computer screens gives me a headache and I always forget to bring my glasses. If I was at home I would just sit here annoying people. I am free to do that for the next year though, I have no more classes until Oct 2006.

I understand completely what you are going through. Right now I am going to college online. When I need to be on the computer doing my classwork, I tend to easily find something else I would rather be doing. That is a hard habit to break, since I do not go to a "brick and mortar" school. There are all kinds of distractions at home.

First off, I try to make sure that my study area is clean and tidy. I find that if it isn't, it is distracting to me. When things are not chaotic around me, I also find that I can think more clearly.

Second, TURN OFF THE TV! And in your case, the computer as well. (obviously I can't turn off my computer) These icons of technological advancement, are your enemies at times like these. Even do what others have suggested, and go to a nuetral area like a library, if you can't keep focus at home.

Third, make a "do list" and/or a list of things you wish to cover or accomplish. This will help you visualize better what you need to do.

I hope I helped....:hug:

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom