Plane crash at Queens, NY???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kerc

The Fly
Not again....

------------------
k e r c

La aventura del comienzo
La intriga de lo incierto
No temas y busca lo nuevo
S?lo empieza desde cero

i just read that on yahoo. but, there was like no info. what's going on? (whoa. U2 parallel.)

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

Yes-an airbus A-300-American flight on it's way to Dominican Republic, accdg. to CNN. Crashed in Queens-details not known.Houses are on fire too.

Of course, everyone is speculating re. terrorism
frown.gif

A plane crashed in Queen's New York. It's a terrible tragedy on it's own, so let's not start making assumptions that it's another terroist attack.

God Forbid...

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

they're putting the TV on in my library. there is a lot of smoke. i'll keep you update if i can.

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

they're shutting down the airports in NY.

------------------

Love,
Emily

My mom said the FBI said they don't think it's terrorism...... not that it makes this any better but i dont think any of us can take another terrorist attack, esp by air......

------------------
And everyone needs the music 'cause everyone needs relief.

* U2 Take Me Higher *

yeah, the FBI doesn't think it's terroism. but they might me saving their ass.

------------------

Love,
Emily

For whatever it's worth, I would assume it's not a terrorist attack. Of course the FBI at this point can't assume anything, but I would be at least mildly surprised if it is.

I really don't think that it is a terrorist act either, but you never know. It sounds like an accident so far though.

246 passengers on board, 9 crew...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

millitary planes are circiling the crash site. they clearly haven't ruled out terroism. i sure hope it's an accident...

------------------

Love,
Emily

I have to leave for work, everybody. Let's pray it was an accident. Even if it was an accident, pray for those poor people though.

United We Stand...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

For those who can't access the main site, asia.cnn.com and europe.cnn.com are still working. Not that they have much info at this point.

It was an American Airlines flight bound for the Dominican Republic, crashed 5 minutes after takeoff in Rockaway, which is a shoreline community in Queens. They are saying 270+ people on board, plus several homes on the ground burning.

There are no indications of terrorism at this point - there were no communications from the cockpit at all indicating anything was going on with the plane. Of course that is what we are all thinking right out of the gate.

I just had the scare of my life - my brother-in-law was in the air bound for New York when I heard this news - but I have found out he is safe and has been diverted to Detroit. My prayers out to everyone impacted by this.

New York has certainly had a crap fall.

Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Oh gawd poor people
frown.gif
Some say it *might* have been a bomb, others say it was engine failiure. Whatever it was it happened on Veteran's day
frown.gif

Prayers for all their families and my God help us all

http://www.msnbc.com :

THE AIRBUS A300 crashed shortly after 9 a.m. in the Rockaways section of Queens on Long Island, sending up a thick plume of black smoke that could be seen miles away.
Bill Schumann of the Federal Aviation Administration said there was no immediate indication of what caused the crash and other U.S. government officials told NBC News there was no evidence to suggest that terrorists brought down the jet.
Schumann said the plane could hold up to 275 passengers, and crashed about five miles from Kennedy Airport. There was no immediate indication how many people were on board the plane.
Sources told NBC News that U.S. military flights on routine patrol over New York City had no indication the jet was in trouble before the crash.
Though there was no suggestion that the crash was caused by terrorists, city officials closed JFK and La Guardia Airport, which also is Queens, were shut the subway and all bridges and tunnels as a precaution.
A witness, Debby Ciuffo, told NBC affiliate WNYC that it appeared that an engine on the plane exploded before the crash.
?It started spinning and went nose down (into the ground),? she said.
The flight was scheduled to leave at 8:00 a.m. but the takeoff was delayed until 9:15 a.m.

It seems that it was just an engine failure. The engine crashed in what looks like a parking lot area in front of a gas station but I'm not sure about that. Just saw some footage on local tv. But I'm in Brooklyn and I heard what sounded like an F16 flying overhead about 10am which also happened after the WTC stuff. So they're taking the necessary precautions at least.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

very, very sad. from what i've read, it sounds like mechanical failure and not terrorism, but who knows. i pray for those who lost their lives, and the families they've left behind.
frown.gif

how much more can this city take?

This is just awful I do hope and pray for all New Yorkers and the families of those caught up in this tragedy.
Almost impossible to take this onboard ......
totally shocking

I have been watching this on TV since kerc alerted us to it. Regardless of whether or not it was a terrorist action (and it's looking more and more like it probably was not) it is still horrifying to think that around 250 innocent people just lost their lives...and of course each life touches countless others. One thing mentioned on the news that is particularly sad as well is that this borough of NYC had a large number of its members killed in the Sept. 11th attack. I think they said over 100 of the victims from the attack were from this area.
frown.gif
My heart goes out to the families and friends of each soul on board and those on the ground that may have been harmed.

-sula

Back
Top Bottom