PGP - going back to Bass-ics for Mr Clayton's 50th Birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SG, do the EMTs and paramedics have to go through the same physical tests as fire fighters and police officers?

VP, could you take Sarah out to a concert or something for her b'day? Is someone coming to town whom you both might like to see?

crockpot :giggle: I told you he got that, right? I also went into Fossil and designed a watch for him (you get to pick out the band and face and setting - very cool).

Aww - such simple things! :lol:

I know some people see gift cards as lame-ass cop-out ways of giving gifts, but maybe get her one to a bookstore or a movie theatre or something? Then she could figure out what she wants later on. :shrug: I always love gift cards! :D

I asked her! She said no. I suggested a visa card she could use anywhere. I actually gave her one last year so she could order stuff online, but she said there's nothing she wants this year. :| She doesn't go to movies that often, and she really doesn't read much outside of texts, these day.

VP, could you take Sarah out to a concert or something for her b'day? Is someone coming to town whom you both might like to see?

crockpot :giggle: I told you he got that, right? I also went into Fossil and designed a watch for him (you get to pick out the band and face and setting - very cool).

Well, we do need to still get tickets for Montreal, but that just sort of seems weird to get her. I don't know. She did tell me to just put whatever money I was going to spend toward U2 travel expenses for this summer. Great gift, huh?

It's just unfathomable how someone couldn't want ANYTHING. If asked, I could probably come up with a hundred things I'd like!

Yeah, you did mention the crockpot, lol. I've never heard of Fossil, but that sounds like a really cool concept and gift. :up:

SG :hmm: Have you been able to see much 360 tour footage? :hmm: Did you get to see the Rosebowl You Tube concert?

i was going to link to the Fossil website but it's blocked at work :rolleyes: They make cool watches, wallets, handbags, etc. Stuff that we'd never buy for ourselves but that make awesome gifts.

There are stores. They used to be in dept. stores but I think they've gotten their own pads in the last couple years. One just opened up in our mall last year, in time for my birthday :love:

Oooh - no I haven't but I can actually watch Youtube now that I finally have high-speed! :hyper:

and not a lot of details... he's very sweet, very down to earth. He's a plumber :lol: he's a wonderful cook :drool: we're just taking it very slow and easy, he got divorced around the same time I did, so neither of us are in a big hurry to get into some deep relationship.

He has a fifteen year-old daughter, he wants me to meet her when she visits him again :uhoh: lol.

:hmm: built in baby-sitter? :eek:oh:

There are stores. They used to be in dept. stores but I think they've gotten their own pads in the last couple years. One just opened up in our mall last year, in time for my birthday :love:

Ooh, looking now, nice stuff!

Oooh - no I haven't but I can actually watch Youtube now that I finally have high-speed! :hyper:

and not a lot of details... he's very sweet, very down to earth. He's a plumber :lol: he's a wonderful cook :drool: we're just taking it very slow and easy, he got divorced around the same time I did, so neither of us are in a big hurry to get into some deep relationship.

He has a fifteen year-old daughter, he wants me to meet her when she visits him again :uhoh: lol.

Aw, good for you! :)

No EMT's don't go through the same rigorous physical as firefighters and police, though I'm getting in pretty good shape these days, I think I could do it!

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted. Does he live in the same town as you?

It's just unfathomable how someone couldn't want ANYTHING. If asked, I could probably come up with a hundred things I'd like!

Same here. :lol:

Speaking of gifts, I'm trying to figure out gifts for my parents this year. It's my dad's 60th, my parents 35th anniversary, as well as my mom's birthday, mothers/fathers day all within the period of a month, so I was thinking of just combining everything into one gift.

They were talking about going on a cruise to celebrate all these things, so if they do book that, I was thinking of purchasing a gift or two for them on the cruise (ie: bottles of wine/champagne, an excursion, an evening at a restaurant, etc.). If my brother goes in on this with me, we could get them some pretty nice stuff. I'm going to send him off an email this afternoon and see if that's something he'd be interested in. I hope it would be something they'd like.

That sounds great. It seems to me that as we get older we appreciate experiences more and don't always need tangible things. (that's not to say I don't appreciate a new pair of shoes - I'm only human!) My father in law, for christmas this year, gave "us" a donation to our son's school. I was so touched by that and it meant much more than any silly little "chotchy" he could have bought us.

ETA: lunch is almost over, then I've got 5 hours of rehearsals for 3 different shows :crack: - I "complain" but I love it! TTYL :hug:

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted. Does he live in the same town as you?

He lives in the same town I just moved to. He's actually only about three miles down the road :lol:

nice! I know, at least where I live, all of these fields are very competative and hard to get in to. Good for you!

Luckily for me, I've worked as an EMT before, and was just stupid enough to let my license lapse. Thankfully, this is a relatively small field and in northern michigan, many of us know each other. One of the medics I used to work with is now the director of one county EMS system nearby, a person I went through the medic class with my first time around is the director for another county, and one of the guys I actually TAUGHT his first emergency medical response class is the director of a neighboring county. I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a position :D

Before I go - I keep forgetting this - I accidentally ordered a MEDIUM tee from u2.com, the blue one with the three 360 symbols on the front. I meant to order a mens med for Mr. Z and it's too small for me. I got it with the 20% off, so if anyone wants it, let me know.

Same here. :lol:

Speaking of gifts, I'm trying to figure out gifts for my parents this year. It's my dad's 60th, my parents 35th anniversary, as well as my mom's birthday, mothers/fathers day all within the period of a month, so I was thinking of just combining everything into one gift.

They were talking about going on a cruise to celebrate all these things, so if they do book that, I was thinking of purchasing a gift or two for them on the cruise (ie: bottles of wine/champagne, an excursion, an evening at a restaurant, etc.). If my brother goes in on this with me, we could get them some pretty nice stuff. I'm going to send him off an email this afternoon and see if that's something he'd be interested in. I hope it would be something they'd like.

All that within a month?? That's like a nightmare! :yikes: :lol: Not that you have to get things for them, but when you have trouble thinking of even one thing, having to do it multiple times is daunting. Hopefully they do decide to do the cruise, and that'll solve it for you.

I agree with Zooey, experiences make great gifts. :up:

Later Zooey. :wave:

He lives in the same town I just moved to. He's actually only about three miles down the road :lol:

Luckily for me, I've worked as an EMT before, and was just stupid enough to let my license lapse. Thankfully, this is a relatively small field and in northern michigan, many of us know each other. One of the medics I used to work with is now the director of one county EMS system nearby, a person I went through the medic class with my first time around is the director for another county, and one of the guys I actually TAUGHT his first emergency medical response class is the director of a neighboring county. I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a position :D

Wow, sounds like you're poised to do very well for yourself! :D

That sounds great. It seems to me that as we get older we appreciate experiences more and don't always need tangible things. (that's not to say I don't appreciate a new pair of shoes - I'm only human!) My father in law, for christmas this year, gave "us" a donation to our son's school. I was so touched by that and it meant much more than any silly little "chotchy" he could have bought us.

ETA: lunch is almost over, then I've got 5 hours of rehearsals for 3 different shows :crack: - I "complain" but I love it! TTYL :hug:

Cool - thanks for your input! :)

Hope your afternoon goes well! :hug:

All that within a month?? That's like a nightmare! :yikes: :lol: Not that you have to get things for them, but when you have trouble thinking of even one thing, having to do it multiple times is daunting. Hopefully they do decide to do the cruise, and that'll solve it for you.

I agree with Zooey, experiences make great gifts. :up:

Later Zooey. :wave:

Yeah, it's a bit insane. It was tough when I had absolutely no money - I felt so bad for not getting them anything, or just buying something small, but of course they understood and never expected anything anyway.

For their 20th anniversary, I did a combined gift too. Doing that is a bit easier. :lol:

If they don't end up going with the cruise, I have no clue what I'm going to do. :lol:

well, at least I should be able to stand on my own two feet, and that's all I really ask for these days, y'know?

by Zooey :wave:

I'm getting ready for a presentation tonight, so I'll be in and out :shifty: heh heh

Yeah I know. :lol: If I do GA, I'm not queuing all day, since I'd be coming down the day of the show. I can't afford 2 nights in a hotel. I'll just hang by the soundboard or whatever. Like I said, I just want to be there.

dg !!!!!.......... youuu hoooooo.... :wave::wave::wave::wave:

There's at least a fairly good chance you could stay w me.

if I have my place in fairly good order, and have decent cooling by then (a new A/c /or multiple fans) you could come stay at my place. :) I'd meet you at where you were arriving into ?Manhattan-- bus, train?

I'm very good at getting/or drawing maps and giving directions w them so that you could leave early to get get on GA line to get to the sond board.

My sis and I will be meeting up later ( got seats).

You are? Well if you do can I be on top of your buyers list? I WANT that strap so badly!(and the purple precision it's attached to.... and the man it's attached to!):D

well I can't do anything about the guitar and the and the Man Perk :)wink:) tht that's with it......

let's first see IF I :

1) actually do make one!
2) after the ordeal experience of making it
would I feel could/would ever want to make one again! :lol::lol:

it's a Fall '10 /Winter '11 Project anyway ......so it'll be quite a while!

The one thing Sarah came up with that she'd like for her birthday (and she didn't even seem that enthusiastic about it, I think she pulled it out of her ass just to tell me *something*) was a spring-form cake pan. Well, that, and a water bottle. :rolleyes: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: ohhhh, sarah, sarah, sarah........... you can do better than that!

:wink::hug:VP

so .....VP
iS she saying put the $ you would have spent on a B-D towards U2 touring?

that sounds pretty nice!:heart:

that sounds like a set of good ideas!

having been/still am on the poor (NOT destitute) side for the past 15 yrs....... :shifty:......

.....I WANT things! :rant::rant: :lol: :uhoh: *hides*

HOWEVER my family alwayshad an appreciation for the more intangible things (as you said)
of great experiences: Nature, travel, concerts, museums trips science or art for knowledge and/or beauty.......
...and , of course, being with the :heart: people- family and friends that we cafe(d) about!

That's how I grew up and I've kept that orientation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom