Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, We Love You, Amen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I just hope everybody accusing Bandt of trying to make a cheap political point are consistent and hate Tony Abbott for the way he has a habit of running around pretending to be a firefighter and a volunteer for this and that when he's really just donning a uniform and getting in the way for photo purposes.

It really shits me how much crap Bandt is copping for this tweet

Liberal- voters are typically those who bemoan the political-correctness in modern day society and advise people to "harden the fuck up". Shouldn't they be hardening the fuck up over this? How sensitive should we be. It is not even insensitive. The fact remains that the longer we neglect to act on climate change, the increased likelihood that such dangerous bushfires will continue to rage. Simple common sense.

West Sydney Wanderers

The ultimate byproduct of Australia and its multicultural society

Football/ (soccer to the Americans) has often not been painted in a favourable light as Australia has the same point of view as the Americans to say no to the British imperialists to take the game as the national game

801898-wanderers-fans.jpg

Yet, for those who "really know whats going on" *puts up armbar for protection from a glassing* Australia has been a sanctuary for those persecuted in more recent global combats from lands of a non European persuasion, beginning with Vietnam to more recent combats in the middle east.

And Western Sydney began as a social experiment in Cabramatta, initially a part of Sydney which was just another european settlement, eventually Australia became more accepting and more multicultural, with a few speed bumps along the way (drugs, crimes, and overt racism reassigned to underlying racism), and today it is home to some of the most demographically disadvantaged people in Australia. Yet it is seen to be the part of Australia that is the most "alive", every federal election that comes around both parties are engaging in battle for the votes of the common people of the region. And gradually, the sporting entities have tried to get in on the act to this allusive, mythical part to the country.

There have been puff pieces such as the AFL desperately saying Muslim women play sports ->

a9593fbfca.jpg

But Football is the global game, and it is a form of cross cultural translation- many of those who find sanctuary in Australia are oblivious to the fact Football is a form British Imperialism for everyone needing to conform to the code, West Sydney Wanderers in many ways is the end product of the happiness those who have sort sanctuary the Western Sydney region of Australia. The future, happiness and idea of utopia is here for those in Western Sydney at least for 90 minutes a weekend

It seems everyone and anyone in the Western subs has got behind WSW up there, which is impressive to see. Your post echoes some anecdotes I've read of people's experiences as part of active support at Wanderland. Was watching the West Sydney vs Wellington match yesterday and it really does appear to be a "melting pot", at least for 90 mins.

LOL just realised how many times have I seen that picture of the Muslim girl playing footy

I can guarantee the day I have an opinion on Australian sports, it will be plagiarized. I don't even know what kind of ball that's supposed to be.

Fantastic article on this topic by Lenore Taylor: We need to talk about bushfires and climate change – if not now, when? | World news | theguardian.com

I thought of copying and pasting it here and passing it off as my own work, but Lenore doesn't deserve to be Mount Templed.

PS I look forward to IWB showing up in the footy thread Mount Templing us about Buddy's move or ASADA or whatever.

If the Federal Homophobic Government repeal it, then what is the fucking point in state and territory governments.

What does this mean? ACT passes same sex marriage bill

The third paragraph implies that, withstanding a challenge by the Abbott Govt, same-sex marriage will be legal across Australia? I must be reading it wrong, because otherwise why is this not the biggest fucking news of all time?

You're somewhat misreading it. The intended meaning is that with the ACT granting marriage equality, homosexual Australians who live elsewhere can go to the ACT to get married rather than going overseas as they must at present. Whether their ACT marriages will be recognised in their home jurisdiction is another thing entirely.

If the Federal Homophobic Government repeal it, then what is the fucking point in state and territory governments.

Eh, this somewhat misrepresents the purpose of split levels of government. Some things are a state's responsibility, while in other legislative aspects the federal government can trump the states. Is marriage a state or federal power? That's a debate we need to have - and suppose we are having, or certainly going to have if the homophobes in government step in. As it stands, it's not really in much legal dispute that heterosexual marriage is regulated federally, not by the states; whether states can make their own legislation for homosexual marriage will probably be decided by the courts depending on how the Marriage Act is interpreted. (There's also the point that the federal government has more power to over-rule territory legislation than state legislation, so even if it over-rules the ACT, would it over-rule a state?)

There is also another, more general debate here: increasing centralisation and the greater assertion of federal authority. This has occurred in practically every federation, and has been a distinct pattern in Australia since WWII. I think it's inevitable - the stronger power will always seek to acquire further power and ensure it cannot be challenged by states. Marriage equality is just a drop in this debate, and it's obvious Abbott in particular covets power and will seek to enforce federal supremacy.

I don't understand how watering the bill down at the last minute makes it harder for the federal government to challenge it... I don't know the details but I read that the amended bill excludes intersex and trans-gendered people now? Surely Abbott and his ilk will still want to challenge?

You're somewhat misreading it. The intended meaning is that with the ACT granting marriage equality, homosexual Australians who live elsewhere can go to the ACT to get married rather than going overseas as they must at present. Whether their ACT marriages will be recognised in their home jurisdiction is another thing entirely.

Thought so. It was oddly worded.

How long has this bill been sitting around? Like I wonder what would have happened had it been passed under Rudd/Gillard/Rudd, would ALP have sought to overturn it? If not would the Abbott govt gone ahead and done so anyway.

A shitful act by the new Govt, but that goes without saying.

I don't understand how watering the bill down at the last minute makes it harder for the federal government to challenge it... I don't know the details but I read that the amended bill excludes intersex and trans-gendered people now? Surely Abbott and his ilk will still want to challenge?

The legal debate, as I alluded to above, is whether the federal Marriage Act covers homosexual marriage or just heterosexual marriage. The ACT appears to have acted on advice that rather than simply expanding the coverage of the Marriage Act to cover any two-person union within the ACT, it would have a better chance of winning any legal stoush if its legislation simply pertained to homosexuals, leaving heterosexuals to be covered under the federal act and homosexuals covered by the territorial act.

The stuff about intersex/trans is bizarre though. If you are in a couple where, for legal purposes, one person is identified as male and one as female, you can get married anywhere in Australia right fucking now, regardless of whether or not you identify as intersex/trans. If you are in a couple where, for legal purposes, both people are identified as male or as female, you're now covered by the ACT legislation. So if you're intersex/trans, you can still get married; I don't see the complaints about not getting specific special snowflake recognition and it just seems like people looking for something to complain about. Nobody's excluded.

Honeymoon bounce, I hope. But god, 37% undecided? Those people seriously need to get a fucking opinion. I mean, jesus, if you have a brain your default position should be Anybody Who's Not Abbott > Abbott.

I wouldn't vote for either and I can't possibly blame others who refuse to either. 37% undecided seems right.

He's entitled to his views, as pitiful they are. I wouldn't like the fact that just because he is a professional sportsperson, that he should be gagged from having a social media rant (which so many of us partake in from time to time).

I think he is an example of the most sinister form of homophobic going around. I wonder if he is a practicing Christian?

It is those who all of a sudden become devout Christians, as if it justifies their homophobia, who are most repulsive.

Because it isn't that they see homosexuality as a threat to their beliefs. They are just plain scared of and threatened by the idea of homosexuality existing. How dare people be different from themselves! Christianity is a guise for their own personal intolerance.

The Melbourne Cup

Once mythologised to be the race that stops the Australian Nation

Is now known to be nothing more than a pridefest for bogans

069922-melbourne-cup-madness.jpg

052798-revellers-at-melbourne-cup.jpg

mc4.jpg

A bogan and/or bogette in a suit or a stunning striking dress is still a bogan and/or bogette

And what more? Its a public holiday down there in Victoria

What next? AFL Grand final day is a national public holiday (its on a saturday) :eek:

I am completely in favour of scrapping the Melbourne Cup Day as a public holiday (come on, who actually gives a shit about horse racing other than sleazy old men with a gambling problem?) and replacing it with the Friday before AFL Grand Final Day so that it's easier for everyone to attend the grand final parade.

Plus, y'know, it's our national homegrown game and we should give it due honour with the finest of Australian public tranditions, the public holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom