Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, We Love You, Amen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ali!!! You are my favourite spore covered Petri dish ever. :cute:

I'm against the Melbourne cup. Except this year a very worthy person I know walked into an empty TAB. Handed over a $50 and asked for "whatever ticket", and got a boxed trifecta. It's been the only time in Melbourne cup history I have been actually excited.

I once fare evaded unknowingly in a busy London station. Was treated like a right criminal about it, until the station got so crazy crowded that I just slipped away...

Ali, I'll see if I can find the poke letter.

That's why I didn't see what was so bad about metcard. Fines were there to deter people but it was also very easy to buy them, and they had single use tickets. The fact that if you just want to do one simple trip you have to pay $6 then put money on it is ridiculous.

Fare evasion would be massively reduced if they replaced the gangs of inspectors with customer service - ticket conductors. Also, security on public transport would be improved.

They say that all the fines that are dished out do not compensate for the loss of money from fare evasion. Well how about making it impossible to fare evade by having ticket salespeople?

That's impractical. 10 people get on the 1 tram at every stop on Lygon St alone during peak. I'd be five hours late to work if they stopped everyone and sold tickets:

They used to have conductors. They'd approach you and sell you a ticket on the tram. You're not evading unless you refuse to purchase a ticket from a conductor on the tram.

They used to do that on V-Line trains, dunno if they still do. I'd be happy to oblige by that, but again, how are they gonna fit on peak trams?

Yeah, conductors worked fine from the implementation of the first trams in the nineteenth century right through to 1993. Some were very talented at working through a peak hour throng. Hell, even my thesis supervisor was once a tram conductor! But it's been a general trend to get rid of conductors/guards since the eighties on both railways and tramways as a cost-cutting measure. It surprises me when I go back to New Zealand and there are actually guards on trains selling tickets - damn convenient though.

(Especially convenient when they don't get to you until you've been on for a couple of stops so they only charge you from the most recent stop.)

New (and free) media - The New Daily

Editor is Bruce Guthrie, who has worked for both Fairfax and News. He was sacked from editor-in-chief of the HS in 08 and then won a court case against them. My former lifestyle editor works there. The layout's a bit clunky at the moment, but always good to have something new.

New Daily launches | ABC

They don't make them like Keating at the moment.

Though to be honest I think David Lange was even better. If only they'd been in the same country (and on opposing sides of politics); what a slanging match that could've been!

Some of my Lange favourites for everyone's enjoyment:

"They couldn't, in the National Party, run a bath and if either the deputy leader or the leader tried to, Sir Robert would run away with the plug."

"The statement which has been made by the Leader of the Opposition was that the intelligence has stopped. I don't know whether that was a personal confession or whether it was a statement of position."

"I wouldn't call the Prime Minister gutless. That's all that's left of him."

"He's gone around the country stirring up apathy."

To US Ambassador H. Monroe Browne, who owned a racehorse called Lacka Reason: "You are the only ambassador in the world to race a horse named after your country's foreign policy."

Regarding former Labour Party member Peter Dunne: "a man whose life is so boring that if it flashed past he wouldn't be in it."

My favourite Keating bit was his quip to the gaggle of former leaders on the (then early nineties) opposition front bench:

"there they sit, Mr Speaker; alone and palely loitering."

If only his politics matched the quality of his quotes.

Suppose you could say that about both Keating and Lange when it comes to some of their economics. The 1980s-90s were a dark time for Labour. Though as far as Lange goes, I'm sure you're down with his foreign policy, and his economic policy was largely the work of Roger Douglas and Lange regretted much of it afterwards.

Still, Lange shouldn't have let Douglas control the agenda. He could've been a great PM if it weren't for that. As it stands, Norman Kirk, 1972-74, remains the last great Prime Minister of New Zealand.

New (and free) media - The New Daily

Editor is Bruce Guthrie, who has worked for both Fairfax and News. He was sacked from editor-in-chief of the HS in 08 and then won a court case against them. My former lifestyle editor works there. The layout's a bit clunky at the moment, but always good to have something new.

New Daily launches | ABC

I like this new news site.

Have you gus read this one?
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/m...-lift-to-christmas-island.html?pagewanted=all
I'm starting to feel actually physically ill when I read these stories. Which is unfortunately often. Feeling very tired and so saddened by humankind.

He was and is the great persuader. Yeah, he's more than a little bit one of the spivs he used to mock, but still and all. We were going to get some kind of economically liberal/neoliberal government during that 1983-96 period. The question is what kind.

BbBBY5YCEAAvTtB.jpg

Meanwhile, I rolled my eyes. More bogan telly with slightly more expensive production than in the past.

Holy crap I just saw an ad for the no-longer (or not-again-yet) defunct Melbourne Observation Star Wheel thing!! :lmao:

They're calling it the Melbourne Star now... Still in no way tempted to get on it.

It actually looks quite good when driving into the city from the north via CityLink. Still a stupid location for it.

Docklands is still ugly to walk through and more hassle than it's worth to actually get there. The views would be unremarkable in that corner of the city.

The original proposal, on one of the old bridges over the Yarra would have been a quite spectacular (if a little unoriginal) addition to the cityscape.

The followup SBS documentary Once Upon a Time in Punchbowl, a documentary with the same themes on multiculturalism in Australia, like Once Upon a Time in Cabramatta talked about the Vietnamese boatpeople in Australia has had to be re-edited because of one of the interviewees - the one with the facial tattoos falsifying his story ->

Once Upon a Time in Punchbowl | TV Tonight

3-4cm is a big gap... I leave mine down sometimes but no more than 1 or 2cm. I dunno if it's easier for someone to break into a car with a 4cm gap in the window than a 2cm one, but I figure the hot air can escape anyway. I had no idea it was actually illegal to leave your windows down, in Qld at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom