Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
diamond said:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Sister Obama may disagree with you, however she could be referring to Rudy-I'm not sure.

dbs

i think Michelle Obama would agree that, head-to-head, HRC has got it going on in the FV department in comparison to Rudy.

but i also don't think she was slamming HRC. i really don't. nor do i think it was a Rudy slam.

she's one to watch, too. she's quite impressive.

you realize, Diamond, that your (totally justified) irritation with those who would hold Romeny's Mormonism against him is nearly totally undercut when you reference sexist, misogynist material like witches -- we're just a letter away from what it seems like you really want to say.

the whole "people who live in glass houses" thing ...

Irvine511 said:

but i also don't think she was slamming HRC. i really don't. nor do i think it was a Rudy slam.

she's one to watch, too. she's quite impressive.

umm, she is an impressive lady, that is certain.
if i were to guess she was inferring HRC indirectly, and later could use Rudy as a fall guy.

Let's keep the good looking guy out of it, the one who has the rock solid looks marriage and attitude.

How could you not say hubba hubba to this:

Attachments

• mitt-romney.jpg
    mitt-romney.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 42
i can't see the pick, but i'm assuming it's one of Mitt, so i'll just counter with this:

unbranded-just-for-men-shampoo-in-hair-colour-natural-medium-brown.jpg

not surprisingly, the media is screwing over kucinich again. abc is trying to act like he wasn't even there at the debate. look at what they've done:

* Congressman Kucinich was apparently deliberately cropped out
of a "Politics Page" photo of the candidates.
* Sometime Monday afternoon, after Congressman Kucinich took a
commanding lead in ABC's own on-line "Who won the Democratic
debate" survey, the survey was dropped from prominence on the
website.
* ABC News has not officially reported the results of its online
survey.
* After the results of that survey showed Congressman Kucinich
winning handily, ABC News, sometime Monday afternoon, replaced
the original survey with a second survey asking "Who is winning
the Democratic debate?"
* During the early voting Monday afternoon and evening, U.S.
Senator Barack Obama was in the lead. By sometime late Monday or
early Tuesday morning, Congressman Kucinich regained the lead by
a wide margin in this second survey.
* Sometime Tuesday morning, ABC News apparently dropped the
second survey from prominence or killed it entirely.
* AND, as every viewer of the nationally televised Sunday
Presidential forum is aware, Congressman Kucinich was not given
an opportunity to answer a question from moderator George
Stephanopoulos until 28 minutes into the program.

hardyharhar said:
Checking in with east coast volunteer Unico. I put the Kucinich plan to work on Sunday. A friend, who considers himself an independent, called and mentioned Fred Thompson. We spoke politics for a few moments then I asked about Kucinich. He said he liked him but was a bit down on him at the time because he read somewhere that he may be a tad lazy. Well, I didn't know anything about that, but everything was going according to our plan. The conversation had become a bit negative towards DK, so I brought out our secret weapon. I said "Yeah, but his wife is hot", in a guy to guy sorta way (lecherous :wink: ). He thought about it for about a second, then said "Yeah, she is" and suddenly the mood about DK was positive again. Worked like a charm............... guys are so predictable. :ohmy:

I think we're onto something here.

Dennis/Elizabeth '08

A few days after posting the Kucinich plan, the LA Times had a front page article on the wife factor, talking about Giuliani's 3rd and Fred Thompson's wife among the others. Then a couple days after that Colbert is drooling on his show about Thompson's wife. Is the Chicago Tribune and Colbert nation now trolling Interference for ideas? I wouldn't blame them, there's some bright minds in here (mine not one of them :wink: ).

Time for a new Kucinich plan, maybe we'll have to settle for actual ideas to the many problems facing us. That should help set him apart from the rest.

Keep your eyes open, homeland security may be watching :shifty:

Last edited:
I love how some Republicans and the media have to twist everything to try to manufacture "catfights" between the other candidates' wives and Hillary. It's quite telling.

The Associated Press
Updated: 8:22 a.m. ET Aug 23, 2007

NEW YORK - Presidential hopeful Barack Obama said Wednesday his wife was not taking a swipe at Hillary Rodham Clinton when she said, "If you can't run your own house, you can't run the White House."

The remarks "were not about Hillary Clinton," Obama told The Associated Press as he left a campaign rally in New York.

His wife, Michelle, made the statement during a speech last week in which she talked about how she and her husband balanced the demands of raising children with campaigning.

Some political commentators have interpreted her words as a veiled attack on Obama's chief rival for the Democratic nomination.

"She has been making that speech constantly about the decision we made to make sure that our family was strong," Obama said, "because if our family wasn't that strong then we couldn't be a strong leader in the White House."

"The whole thing about Hillary has been completely fabricated," Obama added. "You guys have got to get it off your minds."

Obama was in New York to speak at a rally of campaign volunteers.

I like Michelle Obama too

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Vibe magazine has dubbed him "B-Rock." He's getting shout-outs in some of the most popular hip-hop singles of the summer. He's even had a high-profile meeting with Ludacris.

Barack Obama might not be leading the Democratic presidential field in national polls, but the freshman senator has managed to capture the imagination of the hip-hop community, comprised mostly of rap artists, music industry professionals, activists and young fans of all races.

Despite Obama's sometimes critical opinion of rap music, the candidate's name is being dropped on iPods, car stereos and music Web sites across the country.

Take one of the summer's biggest songs: In his new single "The People," Common uses the lyric: "My raps ignite the people like Obama," while the song's music video flashes on an "Obama '08" bumper sticker.

"He's fresh, you know, he's got good style," Common told CNN. "As far as people in my age group and people that love hip-hop, there's a love for Obama. He represents progress. He represents what hip-hop is about. Hip-hop is about progress, the struggle."

Then there's "Say Something," a new track from the popular Brooklyn-based lyricist Talib Kweli, who raps: "Speak to the people like Barack Obama."

Those references follow a song from Asian-American rapper Jin, who recently penned an up-tempo song called "Open Letter 2 Obama" that's garnered more than 320,000 hits on Jin's MySpace page.

Jin's song is so popular online that the Obama campaign is offering it as a free cell phone ring-tone on its Web site, and Obama was introduced with the song before his speech to the College Democrats National Convention in South Carolina in July.

Part of Obama's hip-hop appeal is simply cosmetic -- he is young and African-American.

It also doesn't hurt that his name just works better in a rhyming verse than, say, "Kucinich."

"More than anything his name is a nugget of lyrical gold," said Kweli. "It sounds like a gunshot going off ... Obama rhymes with a lot of things."

Kweli told CNN that Obama, 46, is a "refreshing face like [Muhammad] Ali in '63" and that among Kweli's friends, Obama would win a presidential poll overwhelmingly. Kweli, who said he hasn't voted in years and may not vote in 2008 because he believes the political system is broken, explained why Obama has piqued his interest.

"His youth, his being black, the way that he speaks, the way that he lays out his point of view," Kweli said. "It's someone who looks more like you. I don't mean black, but I mean the young thing. And his name is Barack Obama. This country is become more and more multicultural."

Asked if the senator listens to hip-hop, campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki directed CNN to a June 27 interview he gave to New York City radio station Hot 97.

"I'm old school, so generally, generally, I'm more of a jazz guy, a Miles Davis, a John Coltrane guy, more of a Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder kind of guy," Obama said in the interview. "But having said that, I'm current enough that on my iPod I've got a little bit of Jay-Z. I've got a little Beyonce."

It's unclear if Obama's emergence as a hip-hop byword will have any mobilizing effect on young voters or among African-Americans, a demographic he is working hard to cultivate, especially in South Carolina, a crucial early primary where state partly leaders say blacks could make up half of Democratic voters.

What's more likely is that opponents would try to turn Obama's relationship with hip-hop -- however tenuous it might be -- into a cultural wedge issue in a general election were Obama to win the nomination.

The tactic has been used on the campaign trail before. In his 1992 bid for the White House, Bill Clinton blasted recording artist Sister Souljah over her controversial remarks on racial violence, a move designed to appeal to centrist voters.

Fifteen years later, rap music is still a lightning rod in the culture wars, and Obama might be reluctant to embrace hip-hop in the same way hip-hop is embracing him.

"He might say something I don't agree with, that definitely might happen," Kweli said. "But whatever. It just depends on what it is. ... I think Hillary Clinton voting to go to war is a bigger mistake than Bill Clinton saying something bad about Sister Souljah."

Since declaring his candidacy, Obama has maintained a complicated relationship with rap music.

He has criticized the industry on several occasions for failing to recognize the power it holds over young people. His criticism has also frustrated some artists, bloggers, and even music executives, proving that despite all the attention he is getting in song lyrics, Obama can't assume the hip-hop world has his back.

In April, in the midst of the controversy surrounding radio host Don Imus, Obama was quoted by The Associated Press as saying rappers also bear some responsibility for degrading language.

Russell Simmons, co-founder of Def Jam records, responded in the New York Times magazine, calling Obama a "mouse, too, like everybody else," and saying that instead of reforming rap lyrics, "What we need to reform is the conditions that create these lyrics. Obama needs to reform the conditions of poverty."

In the September issue of Vibe, one of the hip-hop industry's leading publications, Obama agreed with some of Simmons' criticism but stressed that rap music's influence is undeniable.

"So yes, my job is to focus on poverty, education, health care, but I think we have to acknowledge the power of culture in affecting how our kids see themselves and the decisions they make," Obama told the magazine, which put the presidential candidate on its cover above the headline: "It's Obama Time."

Common, who hails from Obama's hometown of Chicago, Illinois, and also attends Obama's church, Trinity United Church of Christ, said he is willing to accept some criticism of hip-hop as long as Obama wins.

"If you're really supporting somebody, you're not looking for something back all the time," said Common. "He'd do best just getting elected and going in there and doing well, that's the best way he can give back to us. We don't need him to be at the concerts."

Both Common and Kweli bristled at one question that Obama's faced at recent presidential forums and debates: whether the candidate is "black enough."

"It's a horrible question," Kweli said. "It's very divisive. It divides us. Obviously that man is black. I think it's utterly ridiculous."

Common laughed and said, "He looks black to me."

Kucinich is right on healthcare

By Derrick Z. Jackson Boston Globe | August 29, 2007

DENNIS KUCINICH rarely gets much airtime in Democratic presidential debates. That was underscored recently when ABC's George Stephanopoulos called on him in an Iowa forum to talk about God. Kucinich said, "George, I've been standing here for the last 45 minutes praying to God you were going to call on me."

With poll numbers at 1 or 2 percent, the Ohio congressman is the nudge kicking at the knees of the Democratic Party to offer more than incremental change. He deserves more attention than he gets. On healthcare, he says what Americans believe, even as his rivals rake in contributions from the industry.

In a CNN poll this spring, 64 percent of respondents said the government should "provide a national insurance program for all Americans, even if this would require higher taxes," and 73 percent approve of higher taxes to insure children under 18. Those results track New York Times and Gallup polls last year, in which about two-thirds of respondents said it is the federal government's responsibility to guarantee health coverage to all Americans.

Such polls allow Kucinich to joke that, far from being in the loony left, "I'm in the center. Everyone else is to the right of me." More seriously, in a recent visit to the Globe, he accused the other Democratic candidates of faking it on healthcare reform.

"One of the greatest hoaxes of this campaign -- everyone's for universal healthcare," Kucinich said. "It's like a mantra. But when you get into the details, you find out that all the other candidates are talking about maintaining the existing for-profit system."

Kucinich quoted the 2003 study published by the New England Journal of Medicine that found that 31 percent of healthcare expenditures pay not for actual care but for administrative costs. That compares with only 16.7 percent in Canada. Administrative and clerical employees make up 27 percent of the healthcare workforce in the United States, compared with 19 percent in Canada.

"With 46 million Americans without any health insurance at all and another 50 million underinsured," Kucinich said, "isn't it really time to look at the other models that exist that are workable for all the other industrialized nations in the world? When you think about it, the only thing that's stopping us is the hold that the private insurers have on our political system . . . corporate profits, stock options, executive salaries, advertising, marketing, the cost of paperwork. . ."

The hold of the healthcare industry on the top candidates is already apparent. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, the top recipient of campaign contributions so far from the pharmaceutical and health products industry is Republican Mitt Romney ($228,260). But the next two are Democrats Barack Obama ($161,124) and Hillary Clinton ($146,000). The top recipient of contributions from health professionals is Clinton ($990,611). Romney is second at $806,837, and Obama third at $748,637.

The top recipient of cash from the insurance industry, which includes health insurers, is another Democrat, Connecticut's Christopher Dodd, at $605,950. Romney and Republican Rudolph Giuliani are second and third, with Clinton and Obama fourth and fifth. Even though Obama is in fifth place, he still has collected $269,750 from insurance companies.

In a category that is relatively small in money thus far, but huge in terms of healthcare morality, Democratic presidential candidates occupy four of the top six spots in receiving money from death-dealing tobacco companies. After Giuliani's $69,500 from tobacco companies, Dodd has received $45,400, Clinton $32,300, Romney $31,400, Obama $7,885, and Democrat Joe Biden, $4,000.

When the top Democratic candidates take tobacco contributions, it is hard to see them truly believing, as Kucinich says, that healthcare "is the single-most important domestic issue. . . a defining issue in the presidential race."

The top recipient from lobbyists by far is Clinton at $406,300. She is still so badly smoldering from the torching of her healthcare efforts as first lady that she recently asserted to the National Association of Black Journalists, "I have never advocated socialized medicine. That has been a right-wing attack on me for 15 years."

The irony, as Kucinich critically points out, is that Americans are so burned from for-profit healthcare, that they want the government to guarantee coverage. "If people clearly understood that by going to vote on Election Day they would create conditions where they would have health coverage," Kucinich said, "if you could communicate that message, you wouldn't have to talk about anything else."

I really like Thompson's chances. He appeals to...

1. Baby Boomer Reagan Republicans.

2. Second Generation Republicans like myself who are ready for an articulate, camera savvy communicator who shares conservative values.

3. Moderates will vote for Thompson at least 2 to 1 over Hillary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom