Obsessions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Perhaps this stems out of solely sheer boredom.

WHAT are you or HAVE you been...obsessed with?

Right now....
Elton John
Jim Morrison poetry
making clothing
bracelets...
socks
black and army green....on ANYTHING
sugar cookies shaped like trees and candy canes....
hats
jackets
Harry Houdini...
checking people's away messages
DOWNLOADING FONTS!
reformatting every document on my computer using all those friggin new fonts...
playing racquetball....although I SUCK
making pictures for my signature
counting days until I go back to school
reading interference in attempt to catch up
ties...
dried fruit
Ours
Peanut Butter Jelly Time...
taking pictures
saying "DOOD!"

also it changes from week to week or so.... I only write in blue pen or I only write in black pen.

Please...someone else exhibit this kind of behavior...PLEASE?!

Last edited:
E-bay

My Q Cd

Reading

writing

3rd Rock from the Sun and Paramount and Discovery channels

sleeping

I was obsessed with Harry Potter and Russell Crowe before I became obsessed with U2.

Ebay

Anne Shirley (I own all the movies and have read all the books)

Jane Austen

Thundercats :shifty:

Candy Candy (an anime)

Mr. Darcy

:scratch: I've had a lot of obsessions over the years, but those are all I can remember right now...

Last edited:
Phuzzie_the_camera_girl said:

OMG, yes, The Sims :yes:

And also:

Guinness

Thai food (curry noodle, mild, no meat) :|

Larry Mullen

music (always U2, but also at the moment: Chantal Kreviazuk, Ryan Adams, Tony Lucca, and Billie Myers)

Trying to earn Worldperks miles

Ireland

My new car

PLEBA :shifty:

OK---I admit it--sleeping, maybe because it's December and the holiday stress is exhausting.:yawn: :yawn: Sounds like a good idea..............:lol: :lol:

Rocket...widget

flaming june said:

CORK, Ireland -- Talking to Guinness drinkers leads one to conclude it is probably more a state of mind than a simple product. Cynics will point out that the state of mind is intoxicated stupefaction, but purists, a surprisingly large number of Guinness drinkers, insist that nothing can approach the magic of a perfect pint.

This is an arcane science accessible only to devotees and it involves a long ritual of anticipation followed by smug, lip-smacking satisfaction. Mafra Looby, a pint-toting blond in a popular Cork pub called The Roundy, makes the point eloquently: "It's not easy to get a good pint. The lines have to be clean and the pint has to settle. But when you do get a good pint, mmmmmmh!" Indeed.

Guinness is having a darn good try at replicating this kind of customer satisfaction straight from the bottle, and it is employing all the wonders of technology to do so. Its new bottled "draught" beer claims to have the "authentic" Guinness taste.

The heart of the system is the "rocket widget."

In the late 1980s Guinness pioneered the original spherical widget that is used in cans. A ball combining nitrogen and carbon dioxide is pressurized in the can. When the can is opened, the gas is released. Once the Guinness is poured, it assumes its characteristic half-inch head.

For the bottled version of the product, the widget is shaped like a rocket to keep it oriented correctly. The gas is released from the bottom of the widget. The majority of the gas is released when the bottle is first opened, then smaller amounts give the head a boost every time the bottle is tilted. The theory is that a head remains on the beer, inside the bottle, right down to the last sip.

"The new widget looks like a rocket," says Joe Bergin of Guinness Technical Support and Innovation, the division responsible for R&D, based in Dublin, Ireland. "It even has fins, for safety, to make sure the widget stays in the bottle." While the canned draught Guinness uses liquid nitrogen to create its head, the bottle uses gaseous nitrogen.

The widget revolution reflects the pains Guinness will take to ensure product consistency, but many Guinness drinkers are fanatics. Looby's reaction is a fairly typical of Guinness drinkers' preciousness about their favorite pint. Even the instructions for use are very specific: Draught Guinness in a can must be served very cold and needs to be poured into a glass for full effect. The "rocket" widget dispenses with the need for a glass.

"The rocket widget is an extraordinary device that opens up a whole new world for Guinness drinkers," says James Thompson, VP of marketing at Guinness Bass Import Company. "Guinness Draught in a Bottle will now allow consumers to enjoy a cold Guinness anytime, anywhere, without having to worry about a pint glass."

This means Guinness can be consumed anywhere, as long as it is cold. The company spent several years and $13.5 million developing the new rocket, but it hopes the product will put Guinness off-premise sales into orbit. According to the company, bottled beer dominates the U.S. market, at 90 percent. Guinness, which claims double-digit growth figures for all its brands in the United States, says it was essentially competing in just 10 percent of the market.

The U.S. growth is good news for the company; in Ireland, its sales are in decline, according to a report in the Boston Herald.

Commentators at websites devoted to the worship of beer remain skeptical, however. "Techno-stout!" sneers poster Liam at a discussion on the new beer, adding, apropos the TV advertisement, "judging by the music, this is aimed at the red-bull-and-vodka market."

In the Cork pub, Looby echoes the disdain. "No, it doesn't make sense. Guinness doesn't come in bottles; even in cans it's a compromise. No, the only way to get a good Guinness is from the tap. When you get a good pint there's that lovely, creamy taste: You can't bottle that!"

Re: Rocket...widget

erised said:

CORK, Ireland -- Talking to Guinness drinkers leads one to conclude it is probably more a state of mind than a simple product. Cynics will point out that the state of mind is intoxicated stupefaction, but purists, a surprisingly large number of Guinness drinkers, insist that nothing can approach the magic of a perfect pint.

This is an arcane science accessible only to devotees and it involves a long ritual of anticipation followed by smug, lip-smacking satisfaction. Mafra Looby, a pint-toting blond in a popular Cork pub called The Roundy, makes the point eloquently: "It's not easy to get a good pint. The lines have to be clean and the pint has to settle. But when you do get a good pint, mmmmmmh!" Indeed.

Guinness is having a darn good try at replicating this kind of customer satisfaction straight from the bottle, and it is employing all the wonders of technology to do so. Its new bottled "draught" beer claims to have the "authentic" Guinness taste.

The heart of the system is the "rocket widget."

In the late 1980s Guinness pioneered the original spherical widget that is used in cans. A ball combining nitrogen and carbon dioxide is pressurized in the can. When the can is opened, the gas is released. Once the Guinness is poured, it assumes its characteristic half-inch head.

For the bottled version of the product, the widget is shaped like a rocket to keep it oriented correctly. The gas is released from the bottom of the widget. The majority of the gas is released when the bottle is first opened, then smaller amounts give the head a boost every time the bottle is tilted. The theory is that a head remains on the beer, inside the bottle, right down to the last sip.

"The new widget looks like a rocket," says Joe Bergin of Guinness Technical Support and Innovation, the division responsible for R&D, based in Dublin, Ireland. "It even has fins, for safety, to make sure the widget stays in the bottle." While the canned draught Guinness uses liquid nitrogen to create its head, the bottle uses gaseous nitrogen.

The widget revolution reflects the pains Guinness will take to ensure product consistency, but many Guinness drinkers are fanatics. Looby's reaction is a fairly typical of Guinness drinkers' preciousness about their favorite pint. Even the instructions for use are very specific: Draught Guinness in a can must be served very cold and needs to be poured into a glass for full effect. The "rocket" widget dispenses with the need for a glass.

"The rocket widget is an extraordinary device that opens up a whole new world for Guinness drinkers," says James Thompson, VP of marketing at Guinness Bass Import Company. "Guinness Draught in a Bottle will now allow consumers to enjoy a cold Guinness anytime, anywhere, without having to worry about a pint glass."

This means Guinness can be consumed anywhere, as long as it is cold. The company spent several years and $13.5 million developing the new rocket, but it hopes the product will put Guinness off-premise sales into orbit. According to the company, bottled beer dominates the U.S. market, at 90 percent. Guinness, which claims double-digit growth figures for all its brands in the United States, says it was essentially competing in just 10 percent of the market.

The U.S. growth is good news for the company; in Ireland, its sales are in decline, according to a report in the Boston Herald.

Commentators at websites devoted to the worship of beer remain skeptical, however. "Techno-stout!" sneers poster Liam at a discussion on the new beer, adding, apropos the TV advertisement, "judging by the music, this is aimed at the red-bull-and-vodka market."

In the Cork pub, Looby echoes the disdain. "No, it doesn't make sense. Guinness doesn't come in bottles; even in cans it's a compromise. No, the only way to get a good Guinness is from the tap. When you get a good pint there's that lovely, creamy taste: You can't bottle that!"

Em, I read about half of it... You need :help: :lmao: :laugh:

flaming june said:
I was obsessed with Russell Crowe before I became obsessed with U2.

Yep, Me too:der:

alrighty, I want to use the "list" function:

Let's Begin, shall we.........
  • PLEBA
  • Music
  • Guys
  • Conan O'Brien
  • Ebay
  • The Travel Channel.......I love "Great Hotels".
  • WORKING
  • Sarcasm
  • Fashion
  • Sounding Intelligent
  • Success
  • Eyelashes
  • Vanilla Smelling Stuff
  • The Media
  • Religious History

Ok, now, everyone point and laugh at the weirdo.
<--------------------:tsk:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

• Who on here hasn't been obsessed with Bono (or any of the other three guys) at some point and time in their lives? :).

I have a tendency to obsess over a lot of things myself, so...

Besides U2 (and Bono in particular), other obsessions include:
    • Beetlejuice (the cartoon-when I was little I thought Lydia was the coolest girl in the world (I can actually draw her really well), and I wished I had a ghost friend like Beetlejuice (can't draw him quite as well-my drawings of him always wind up looking like an angry girl with gray skin who's in jail, although there is one drawing of him I did that I'm rather proud of))
    • Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    • My crush from last year
    • PLEBA
    • Ghosts in general...I am absolutely fascinated by the idea of ghosts (yeah, I believe they exist), and I'll watch those "Haunted History" shows and things along that line, I'll read books with ghost stories and things along that line.
    • Pepsi and Dr. Pepper
    • "Aladdin"-when I was little I watched this movie so often I'm surprised I didn't wear out the tape
    • Lately I've had a growing interest in Ireland...take a wild guess as to why
    • My obsession with the fact that Christmas is the day after tomorrow and there is absolutely no snow on the ground or in our forecast, which is ticking me off big time (to those of you who live in Oklahoma and Missouri and are getting snow...yeah, um, I hate you right now)

There's some that I can think of right now.

Angela

Last edited:
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

Moonlit_Angel said:

[*]My obsession with the fact that Christmas is the day after tomorrow and there is absolutely no snow on the ground or in our forecast, which is ticking me off big time (to those of you who live in Oklahoma and Missouri and are getting snow...yeah, um, I hate you right now)[/list]

:sad: I know what you mean Angela... we're not gonna have snow this year either. :( It's fookin' cold over here but all our snow has melted so there'll be no white Christmas for me this year. I love white Christmases. :yes:

Moonlit_Angel said:

[*]My obsession with the fact that Christmas is the day after tomorrow and there is absolutely no snow on the ground or in our forecast, which is ticking me off big time (to those of you who live in Oklahoma and Missouri and are getting snow...yeah, um, I hate you right now)[/list]

Angela

Yup, I went from cold, snowy NJ to warm, sunny Florida...we won't be having a white christmas any time soon :sad: I WANT SNOW!

ANYWHO my list:

• coffee
  • Harry Potter legos
  • The movie Dogma (GREAT MOVIE!!!! I even made some random person at Blockbuster rent it the other day, haha)
  • my Professor Snape action figure
  • Kenneth Branagh
  • Alan Rickman
  • various members of U2, of course
  • Bruce Springsteen

That's bout all I can think of right now

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Eh. At least it'll be cold tomorrow (that'd really tick me off if it were supposed to be warm tomorrow, 'cause not only would there be no snow, but if it were supposed to be in the 60's or warmer as well...I'd hate that, 'cause then it really wouldn't feel like Christmas. But luckily that will not happen).

I probably wouldn't mind the lack of snow so much, it's just that my dad loves to tease me about this sort of thing-he lived in California as a kid, and he loved the warm Christmases out there-he hates the winter weather here in Iowa. So when we have a winter where there's not much in the way of snow, he loves to tease me about the fact that it's not snowing. He keeps forgetting that white Christmases are all I've known, being born and raised in Iowa, and to not have snow at Christmas seems really weird to me, it doesn't seem right.

We went to do some last minute Christmas present shopping last night...and it was hard to really get all psyched up about the whole thing, because of the lack of snow. It didn't look like Christmas at all.

I'm still holding out a sliver of hope though-I keep hoping that all that snow down in Oklahoma and Missouri will make a sudden shift northward and come up into Iowa today. I was hoping for a big blizzard for Christmas...now I don't care how much snow we get, even if it were only a couple of inches, just as long as it would snow, that's all. So long as the stuff falling from the sky is white, I don't care.

I'm just glad I don't live down in the Gulf Coast area right now, what with the weather they're having down there...I can't imagine how that must be-you've got your Christmas decorations and your tree and all that up, and you look out your window...and see lightning and dark thunderheads and hear of severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings in your state...no thanks, I'll stick with my cold Christmas, even if there winds up being no snow.

Okay, enough rambling on about this for now.

*Walks off humming "White Christmas"*

Angela

• Diet Coke
  • Cadbury's chocolate (not the US kind made by Hershey's)
  • Harry Potter
  • Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy
  • Books
  • Downloading music and movies
  • Doves
  • The colour green
  • PENGUINS :heart:
  • Hippos
  • Lemurs
  • Coats and jackets, especially ones with fake fur or plush or shearing (is that what you call it?) :drool:
  • Animal print stuff
  • Animal Planet
  • Online quizes
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • My new digital camera
  • My fiance :heart: :reject:
  • Amazon.com
  • Velvet
  • European history
  • Saving money to move to England in September

Last edited:
:lol: I have had my fair share of obsessions over the years!

When I was little, it was all about (at various stages...)...

My Little Pony
Cabbage Patch Kids
Rainbow Brite
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Jon Secada
Wilson Phillips

Teen Obsessions...

Leonardo DiCaprio
Dance Music
80s new wave

More recent (current) ones...

U2 (of course!!!)
Friends
American Dreams
the color green
all things Irish
Billy Idol :drool:

...and probably a whole mess of stuff I'm leaving out!

* Christmas stuff
*Orlando Bloom
*Viggo Mortensen
*Poetry
*Russia and Ukraine
*my new band
*LORD OF THE RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moonlit_Angel said:
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Eh. At least it'll be cold tomorrow (that'd really tick me off if it were supposed to be warm tomorrow, 'cause not only would there be no snow, but if it were supposed to be in the 60's or warmer as well...I'd hate that, 'cause then it really wouldn't feel like Christmas. But luckily that will not happen).

I probably wouldn't mind the lack of snow so much, it's just that my dad loves to tease me about this sort of thing-he lived in California as a kid, and he loved the warm Christmases out there-he hates the winter weather here in Iowa. So when we have a winter where there's not much in the way of snow, he loves to tease me about the fact that it's not snowing. He keeps forgetting that white Christmases are all I've known, being born and raised in Iowa, and to not have snow at Christmas seems really weird to me, it doesn't seem right.

We went to do some last minute Christmas present shopping last night...and it was hard to really get all psyched up about the whole thing, because of the lack of snow. It didn't look like Christmas at all.

I'm still holding out a sliver of hope though-I keep hoping that all that snow down in Oklahoma and Missouri will make a sudden shift northward and come up into Iowa today. I was hoping for a big blizzard for Christmas...now I don't care how much snow we get, even if it were only a couple of inches, just as long as it would snow, that's all. So long as the stuff falling from the sky is white, I don't care.

I'm just glad I don't live down in the Gulf Coast area right now, what with the weather they're having down there...I can't imagine how that must be-you've got your Christmas decorations and your tree and all that up, and you look out your window...and see lightning and dark thunderheads and hear of severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings in your state...no thanks, I'll stick with my cold Christmas, even if there winds up being no snow.

Okay, enough rambling on about this for now.

*Walks off humming "White Christmas"*

Angela

To make matters worse bout livin in warm sunny Florida: We now have a TORNADO WATCH! Umm...that's not suppose to happen is it? I would rather have SNOW! :scream:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom