Nme rides again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, actually I would have to say that claiming that the album received "very little PR" is bordering on insanity.

You got badly exposed as being objectively in the wrong, then tossed a lame off-topic counter-attack. Actually I'd recommend that YOU started to try a little harder, indeed. Don't feel ashamed to practise, if you're simply not good enough yet. :)

Vertigo and HTDAAB were released well BEFORE Bono took the knighthood and BEFORE there was all the controversy over U2's tax arrangements

But it was also released before he ruined Live8 for everyone AND release an old song just so it can get to number 1. The the original still outsold it even though it only got to number 7, that's because no one buys single much anymore. People don't like cheats, and Financeguy is right, people don't like hypocrite's either.

That's one of the reason why many people don't rate Bono anymore and they won't buy the album or buy their concert tickets either because we are in a recession. Plus they've got wind that the album isn't great because they've read a few honest reviews and what many people have said about it on numerous internet forum's.

But it was also released before he ruined Live8 for everyone
I know I'll probably regret this, but how did Bono single handedly ruin Live8 for everyone? I don't remember it being ruined.

People don't like cheats,

:banghead: They also don't like misinformed people who constantly repeat the same lies that they read on internet sites...

if (the media's portrayal of) people's opinion on Bono and the band had a direct effect on sales then the band would have gone bankrupt well over a decade ago, probably about 2 decades ago actually

when you've reaced the point that you can't seperate your own issues with what goes on in the world around you then album sales are not your main worry though

UK media loved Popmart and the Sarajevo satellite link ups on Zoo TV.

:yes: Knighthood and taxes...that'll teach U2.

I would say the main reason for the dispise of U2 in the media and the public is because they have been on top or close to the top for the last 25 years. Generally people dispise people with more money then they have because they are jealous of sucess and only wish they were in the same situation but arent because those that are fithy rich take risks with their careers. U2 has taken many risks and most of them they have been able to suceed with.

90 percent of peoples thoughts are negative, and U2 has and always will be a popular point of negativity within the music business.

Damn right Yahweh. Once U2 stop and are gone, then people will appreciate.

Is the media completely stupid?

Do people not understand how much of an impact illegal filesharing has on record sales? That the percentage of the decline in record sales grows exponentially yearly?

Honestly, I think many media publications made bands like Metallica out to be square and uncool back in the year 2000 and now are unwilling to admit they were wrong when, 9 years later, Metallica has been proven right and illegal filesharing is the disease that is killing the music industry.

U2 didn't sell as much as they did in 2004? No shit. Let's break it down in hip hop terms: the most popular rapper in 2008, Lil' Wayne, sold a million copies of his album. And it was deemed a massive success. Back in 2003, the most popular rapper went NINE TIMES platinum.

NOBODY's selling what they used to anymore.

But, of course, U2 is an easy target and people have been waiting since 1987 to knock this band down.

But, of course, U2 is an easy target and people have been waiting since 1987 to knock this band down.

so in your world it would go something like this

situation: bedroom, man looking extremely happy
date: some time after the release of NLOTH

woman: what's with you? You look happy
man: guess who has a new record out which won't sell as much as their last record?
woman: oh no, not THAT band again. (turns around and dreams of Adam Clayton)
man keeps smiling and realises his life finally has purpose.

Now back to the real world John. Bono would be ashamed to read these comments:down:

We're in a good mood. It's not because of this:

so in your world it would go something like this

situation: bedroom, man looking extremely happy
date: some time after the release of NLOTH

woman: what's with you? You look happy
man: guess who has a new record out which won't sell as much as their last record?
woman: oh no, not THAT band again. (turns around and dreams of Adam Clayton)
man keeps smiling and realises his life finally has purpose.

Now back to the real world John. Bono would be ashamed to read these comments:down:

I find this message funny. I must write it down.

Last edited:
let me help you:
not enough POP :angry:
they shouldn't waste valuable concert time on Boots :mad:
if U2 want to stay relevant they should only play songs from Achtung, Zooropa, Passengers, POP and unreleased material pre 1985 :madspit:

let me help you:
not enough POP :angry:
they shouldn't waste valuable concert time on Boots :mad:
if U2 want to stay relevant they should only play songs from Achtung, Zooropa, Passengers, POP and unreleased material pre 1985 :madspit:

I hope you are not right on this one :wink:

This showed up yesterday on Twitter. Here is Neil McCormick's response (finally) to all the recent "Bono bashing" in the public media.

It is excellent - especially the ending paragraph or two. :love:

KUDOS to Neil McCormick! :up:

Bono - a case for the defence ? Neil McCormick

=============================================

Bono - a case for the defence
Posted June 16, 2009

The latest issue of The Word magazine has a picture of Bono on the cover, with the headline ‘Superstar saviour or sanctimonious git? Bono On Trial: A WORD investigation.’

Of course, it is no such thing. An investigation would suggest a genuine issue and a serious journalistic attempt to get to the bottom of it. It is just an attention grabbing headline yolking together some skimpy reminiscences of encounters with the rock star by Word magazine regulars, some axe grinding by familiar Bono bashers and a bit of ranting diatribe by a couple of obscure freelancers who presumably glad of the soap box. With well rehearsed anecdotes U2 watchers will have heard many times before, we learn, well, that Bono is short (its amazing the number of journalists who mention this, as if size explains everything, from Napoleon and Hitler’s desire to conquer Europe to Prince’s musical drive and Tom Cruise’s box office clout. It’s the pygmy theory of megalomania, of which anyone less than 5′ 8″ is automatically suspected), that he is extremely charming, driven and ambitious and that some people don’t like him. Eammon Forde (who he?) doesn’t like him because Bono ruined his teenage years, apparently, by being in a successful Irish band in the 80s when Eammon would have rather there had been a different successful Irish band . Hmm. I think we all have a band like that in our teenage subconscious, Eammon. “Get over it,” is the usual adult response. Hazel Davis (who she?) says he can’t really sing, but then uses nothing to support this apart from insults (she doesn’t tell us which rock singers she thinks can “sing”, or why “singing” matters, and where, say, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Pete Doherty fit in her particular scale of measuring vocal accomplishment. I have a soul loving amigo who pretty much thinks no rock vocalists can sing, but at least he puts up a structured argument). Dave Marsh (now, I have come across him, because the complete failure of celebrity politics is one of his hobby horses, which he can argue cogently and passionately, although he doesn’t really get into it here, instead trading in insults and trotting out one hugely controversial survival-of-the-fittest African economist, Dambisa Moyo, to support his vague assertion that “Africans” complain Bono speaks for them without so much as asking their permission). Laura Barton concludes this 9 page feature with a kind of vague concern that Bono’s politicking may be driven more by narcissism than philanthropy. She’s not sure, mind you. It’s just a bit of a nagging notion. Now, I really like Laura’s writing about music because she approaches her subjects in an original, poetic, emotional, almost touchy-feely fashion, but as a witness for the prosecution she’s about as damning as Mr Magoo at an identity parade. And that’s about it. If only all trials were conducted in such a random, anecdotal and highly opinionated fashion, with so little recourse to the facts, and no opportunity to answer back.

Now I like Word magazine, and I like the people who make it, but they should be embarrassed about this. It reeks of something cobbled together at the last minute because they didn’t have a suitably heavyweight cover star. The fact that they thought it was a good idea is indicative of the place Bono now occupies in popular culture.

At the height of Live8’s ‘Make Poverty History’ campaign, some wags made a bit of money on the side with a ‘Make Bono History’ t-shirt. For some, Bono is the greatest rock star of our times, to be celebrated as much for his idealism as his music. For others he is an insufferable bore, preaching about how we should live our lives. Perhaps more than any other rock star, he has become a divisive, love him or hate him figure. It is something of which he is well aware. “I’m sick of Bono,” is his standard line. “And I am him.”

It is no secret where I stand on this. I ghosted U2’s autobiography. I have known Bono a long time, and followed his band since my schooldays but every time I mention his name the anti-Bono brigade start sniping at me. I can be accused (and regularly am) of bias and even sycophancy yet I consider myself lucky to have had a front row seat at the gestation of one of the defining rock bands of our times, and I am sure I would feel the same way if it had been The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Smiths, Nirvana or Oasis. In terms of ticket and album sales, U2 are up there with the biggest bands of all time. In terms of cultural impact, their influence is all over modern rock, from the scale and imagination of their live presentation to the sonic tapestry of Edge’s guitars and producer Brian Eno’s synths. Many of the most popular rock bands of the moment (Coldplay, Kings of Leon and The Killers, amongst others) are unabashed in their devotion to U2, yet arguably their real influence is not so much musical as ideological. It is about commitment and passion, the notion that a band can stay together for thirty years or more with a work ethic that pushes them to forge music that is relevant, engaging with the pop charts and the wider world too.

Yet it is for the latter that Bono, in particular, is held in contempt. The roots of Bono’s activism lie in his Christian faith, the sense that he has to give something back in order to justify the privileges of his success. He is accused of asking people to dip into their own pockets when he lives a millionaire lifestyle but, in fact, his principal approach is to lobby for political change rather than call for charity. Behind the spotlights, his personal charitable commitments are significant, and critics might be surprised at the relatively modest scale of his family lifestyle. Indeed, his real engagement with Africa started when Bono and his wife did voluntary work at an Ethiopian orphanage during the 1985 famine, where he witnessed despair and heroism that left an indelible impression upon him. Bono acts because he is compelled to.

I have seen what he puts into this, how it possesses him, what it means to him, and the accusations of dilettantism or narcissism are so far wide of the mark as to be laughable. Is there ego involved? Of course, it would be absurd to pretend otherwise. Ego is part of the job description, it’s a necessary force to get someone on stage in front of a rock band in the first place. But it takes more than ego to put in the office hours that Bono does (at least two days a week, even when his full time job in U2 is in full swing). And the ego is reigned in by a palpable humility, a sense of being in service to others, his strong feeling that this is the price his God (not mine, by the way) asks of him in return for all the good things that have happened in his life. You can ask questions, as Dave Marsh regularly does, of the point of celebrity politicking, but the answers lie not in fatuous opinion about motivation, they lie in the math of investment and policy change. There are plenty of figures publicly available, particularly with regard to third world countries who have had billion dollar debts cancelled and have been able to put that money to work in health and education. If you are interested, you might take a look at Data co-founder Jamie Drummond’s comprehensive answer in 2007 to pernicious questions posed by Financial Times journalist Gideon Rachman, which I have copied here. Bono’s organisations, Data and Red work within an umbrella of established aid groups, and I don’t hear them complaining about his involvement. Bottom line, I always think, is that there are people around today, educated and healthy, who wouldn’t have been alive without his energy and commitment to their cause. He is putting in his own time and energy in an effort to make a difference. What exactly is the problem? That he annoys you?

I often hear people suggest that Bono would make his life easier if he wasn’t so in your face, constantly turning up in photo shoots with politicians and other wealthy movers and shakers, but that is his role as a lobbyist, his particular deal with the devil. He wants to get his organisations, packed with highly regarded economists and aid experts, an audience at the highest table, and the price he pays for that is to be the celebrity in the flashbulb, to submit to the photo op.

To ask Bono to reign himself in would be to go against his nature and dilute his impact. Back in the early days of U2 he created two characters to act out onstage, the Fool and the Boy. Only the latter made it onto record (in the songs for U2’s debut album, Boy) but the fool has often been called into service nonetheless. Bono is an optimistic, over enthusiastic, energetic character not afraid (as many in his profession are) of being too cool to make an idiot of himself (which is one reason the criticism of him is so ineffective, Bono has a thick skin). As the lead singer in a band, he considers it his job to jump around and make a big noise, to bang a drum, draw attention, fly a flag (sometimes literally), rally for the cause. He wants to make a difference and so he uses the best tool at his disposal: his fame, his passion, his talent. It is what makes him such a powerful irritant: he is in your ear (and the ears of world leaders) buzzing away, getting his message across.

The same spirit that drives Bono onstage drives U2 in the studio. And ultimately, politics is secondary, because without the music no one would be paying attention. While many of their contemporaries have either retired or retreated to a comfort zone of nostalgic hits, U2 constantly strive to create new work to rival their best, and in the process have had a run of sustained creativity and popularity that sets the bar for everyone in rock and roll (as to recent reports that their new album has been a flop, it currently stands at over three and a half million sales worldwide, not bad going in a peer 2 peer download era. And the tour hasn’t even started yet). Love them or hate them, Bono and U2 will be history when they no longer make music that engages our attention.

I am not suggesting Word are wrong to ask questions of Bono. But what, really, is the question? How about what kind of rock stars do we want? Idealists driven by passionate belief, who stand up to be counted, who try to make a difference, and who espouse the same ideals in their life as in their music? Colourful characters whose imaginative participation in the hurly burly of the world makes pop culture more interesting? Compassionate human beings who feel beholden to give something back for the immense privileges they receive? Or shallow self-interested showbusiness celebrities who never stick their heads above the political parapets for fear that it will get shot off?

There are plenty of the latter, you can see them on magazine covers every day. There is only one Bono. And I’ve got a question for Word and all the other Bono critics who seem to be so offended by his existence. What does it say about them, that the rock star they would put on trial is the one who is making the most effort to do some good in the world?

:applaud:

You either get Bono...or you dont. He has the "marmite affect"
My 16 yr old is a big u2 fan. But he thinks Bono is a complete cock. Reason being...he doesnt get irony, he takes everything Bono says at face value. As do many people.
I long since gave up getting annoyed at all the u2 bashing that goes on. And i can see why people harbour the thoughts about u2/bono that they do.
All that matters to me is that u2 continue to entertain me.

I long since gave up getting annoyed at all the u2 bashing that goes on. And i can see why people harbour the thoughts about u2/bono that they do.
All that matters to me is that u2 continue to entertain me.

:up: Well said. Every once in a while I regress and will get all het up about someone bashing U2. But not often.

I think as you go thorugh life...you start to appreciate, that not everyone shares your likes and dislikes. And you also realise, there are more important things channel your energy into.
So, just respect other people have every right to hold and express their opinions.
In saying that tho.....when i was blinded by U2...they were the most exciting times, musically speaking, of my life.

If someone has something well-thought out and reasonable to say about why they can't stand Bono, I will listen and can respect that.

It's the standard internet "lol boner is a douchebag" responses I see so often that I've learned to overlook and dismiss without getting all knee-jerky reactiony about it.

I like Niel McCormick. A few years ago I saw his book I was Bono's Doppelganger in a book shop and I thought he was a hanger on. I've changed my mind after I read his blog on the Telegraph website. He has his own job as well but he was childhood friends with the band so no wonder he does a lot of work with them. He is able to defend Bono in an articulate manner. When I looked at a few of his blogs it becomes apparent that he shares similar views on music as I do.

There is only one Bono. And I’ve got a question for Word and all the other Bono critics who seem to be so offended by his existence. What does it say about them, that the rock star they would put on trial is the one who is making the most effort to do some good in the world?
that's a keeper :up:

Back
Top Bottom