Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope the newly recorded songs aren’t U2’s current day recording approach retro applied to older songs. If they take away Edge’s solos and replace them with guitar blandness or piano , put Bono’s voice way too high in the mix and squeeze the life out of music to make it almost sterile then this will suck.

predictions on songs getting the re-work treatment?

my thinking.... including some songs they've specifically called out or mentioned (seemingly at random) over the last couple years:

Surrender
When I Look at the World
Drowning Man
Heartland
If You Wear that Velvet Dress
Every Breaking Wave

That's a little harsh, man.

But the Nile Rogers mix, Eno mix and Mission Impossible are dead giveaways individually, and combined, well...

Nevertheless, it's a good prank!

Surrender to it, man

Also, not SOS not a prank

It’s April 2 here so I feel like I can choose to believe it and not be “got” if it is a prank. I’m sticking with that story. It’s a really shit April Fool’s prank if it is, because it’s been an active rumour for a year and isn’t particularly left field.

I honestly don’t feel annoyed or overly excited by this. New music early next year is far more interesting. If this SOS concept is done well, it could be a pleasant addition to the catalogue, if it’s done badly, it will be worse for their legacy than a bad new album would be. I don’t think they’ll do it badly though - the SBS recently was just Bono and edge fairly impromptu/live feeling, where this has been worked on for a long time in studio.

What songs would you cut,I'm struggling to think of many. Maybe poster child?

I’ll have to go back and listen because a good chunk of them ran together so I can’t remember which song is which. I loved the first four and then it kind of souped together until the back end. The Heavy Wing is indeed amazing.

This feels refreshingly low stakes if true and doesn’t even register on the U2 cringe meter.

IMG_4625.JPG

predictions on songs getting the re-work treatment?

my thinking.... including some songs they've specifically called out or mentioned (seemingly at random) over the last couple years:

Surrender
When I Look at the World
Drowning Man
Heartland
If You Wear that Velvet Dress
Every Breaking Wave

That's actually a decent list. Not sure about messing with Drowning Man, but the rest could be interesting. I would really hope they go the route of redoing lesser known songs. Redoing any of the big well known ones would border on sacrilegious, or would just be worse.

Not an April Fools joke.

They're going to release a single off of it. So that gives me hope that they would come out with a unknown (to the general public) track. Something off Boy or October or something. Coming out with a re-imagined Beautiful Day or something would be a HUUUUGE collective groan.

i just read a confirmed rumour that they're going to play this live at the kunstmuseum

images

This feels refreshingly low stakes if true and doesn’t even register on the U2 cringe meter.

View attachment 13111
There's no way that the apple shit isn't high cringe.

Their relationship with the black eyed peas is absolutely cringe, but it also produced an all time great moment with gimme shelter with Jagger.

So that gets moved to medium

Was also considering slotting in the American Idol spidey performance in place of GWB.

A November release makes me think that there’s no new U2 album planned until later next year rather than the first part of the year. If this album is done, get it out there now.

So if the name really is Songs of Surrender, does that make anyone else think Songs of Ascent is still on the table for the next new album? I was wondering about the proximity of the releases as well and there’s a few things to unpack:
- they could call this anything at all, and surely as a reminder of great things they’ve done they don’t want to tie it to the anchor that is SOI/SOE in the public’s eyes. Why continue the theme unless it’s part of a story and not just a standalone vanity project?
- they have clearly been worried for 13 years that SOA was too cerebral to be the new u2 album and so they can absorb their need for commercial gratification with SOS and drop SOA 3 months later without the millstone around their neck of needing it to do well.
- touring is easier on a more reflective album if there are new versions of old songs to prop up the set list. With covid as well they can camp in places, play smaller venues and more relaxed shows.

Of course it’s just as likely that they are becoming very lazy and couldn’t think of anything better… that bodes well for new material…

Last edited:
A November release makes me think that there’s no new U2 album planned until later next year rather than the first part of the year. If this album is done, get it out there now.

I just think they’ve decided no touring this year, and as I mentioned in my previous post, I reckon this is a vehicle for being able to tour off a potential more atmospheric/less overtly commercial release. Drop them close together and tour the new versions plus the odd selection off a new album in a more relaxed setting.

So if the name really is Songs of Surrender, does that make anyone else think Songs of Ascent is still on the table for the next new album? I was wondering about the proximity of the releases as well and there’s a few things to unpack:
- they could call this anything at all, and surely as a reminder of great things they’ve done they don’t want to tie it to the anchor that is SOI/SOE in the public’s eyes. Why continue the theme unless it’s part of a story and not just a standalone vanity project?
- they have clearly been worried for 13 years that SOA was too cerebral to be the new u2 album and so they can absorb their need for commercial gratification with SOS and drop SOA 3 months later without the millstone around their neck of needing it to do well.
- touring is easier on a more reflective album if there are new versions of old songs to prop up the set list. With covid as well they can camp in places, play smaller venues and more relaxed shows.

Of course it’s just as likely that they are becoming very lazy and couldn’t think of anything better… that bodes well for new material…

I think this makes a lot of sense, and when you frame it in those ways, it really starts to look like a possibility. If they were to tour either SoS or a theoretical SoA, they'd probably compliment each other really well: "check out our new tour, with bold experimental new stuff, but also the old classics reimagined in a new way, so everyone's happy" kind of thing. Basically the BBC SoE orchestral promo show as a tour.

I think the only thing going against it is the rumour (mentioned in the same U2Songs article we're currently discussing) that the next album of new material will be "in a more rock n' roll vein".

However, it could always be that SoA isn't quite as meditative as has been implied - maybe it could feature both rock and other elements? Maybe a second attempt at what NLOTH failed to do (i.e. 'future hymns', plus more commerical/rock tracks) only this time, less compromise on either end, or a more conscious, deliberate aim at the start of studio sessions to fuse eno/future hymn/reflective vibes with a commercial sound? All wishful thinking, I know :lol:

Otherwise, maybe SoS is attempting to serve a similar function to the JT Tour - an album and (very short) tour and promo appearances reminding the general public of when U2 made iconic music, before they hijacked everyone's iPhones, to try and get in good standing again before the release of new, unrelated material.

They could even use a late 2022 SoS promo tour to not so stealthily perform and promote the lead single of the next proper album (similar to playing TLTTGYA on the Jimmy Kimmel show where they were promoting the JT tour).

Last edited:
A fancied up greatest hits as an appetizer/lead-in to new material is a cool approach if that’s at all what they’re going for.

Bob Ezrin has a great pedigree, so whichever he’s involved with (both?), I’m looking forward to seeing what a different collaborator results in.

Back
Top Bottom