New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, my hope is that a lot of the initial whining around the interwebs will be settled down after the full thing comes out. Obviously a lot of the criticism is from people who aren't fans anyway, but some fans definitely got their adult diapers in a twist about it before ever hearing anything or after hearing the first 2-3 songs released.

Genuinely looking forward to this release now, after not quite feeling the need for it when first announced.

Same here. The first couple of singles sounded a little underwhelming at first - especially One and WOWY. On WOWY in particular, I think they could have done more (and I still think that). However, even those first few singles have grown on me, and the clips of the other songs all largely sound great and interesting. Add in some of the reviews and it should be a good release.

Lossless audio on streaming services is just as good as CD sound quality.

So far from the bits we've heard,let's say full songs and video clips, not audiobook clips,

what are your favorite and least favorite. My top 3 are Dirty Day, 11o'clock, and Stories for Boys.

My least fave so far from what I've heard is probably Red Hill Mining Town.

Yeah, watch out, people get touchy over the (dying standard resolution) format
Oh I know...

some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif

Not at all. It’s better!

Yep it may well be, which is why I stream all my music.

Vinyl on the other hand - I can see the value in still buying them. There is a different quality to them. CD's though? Apart from having a physical product, there is no reason sonically to have them over using a streaming service. Which I get some people still like.

Not at all. It’s better!
Yea this is what I just don't get.

I can stream every damn song and album ever, at as good or higher a quality than I would have on CD, through a Sonos or Bose level speaker, for less money than i used to spend annually on CDs (that would scratch and break from overplaying).

Soooo why do people still buy CDs?

So far from the bits we've heard,let's say full songs and video clips, not audiobook clips,

what are your favorite and least favorite. My top 3 are Dirty Day, 11o'clock, and Stories for Boys.

My least fave so far from what I've heard is probably Red Hill Mining Town.

My top picks from what I've heard are the same. Red Hill Mining Town I've not bothered with yet, as I just know I won't be too interested in it!

Yea this is what I just don't get.

I can stream every damn song and album ever, at as good or higher a quality than I would have on CD, through a Sonos or Bose level speaker, for less money than i used to spend annually on CDs (that would scratch and break from overplaying).

Soooo why do people still buy CDs?

From my side, the only CDs/Vinyl/Cassette (in the case of SOS) I buy are the U2 releases. They'll just get shoved in a box and put into the cupboard with the others, once I've had a look at them. Then I just play them over the Sonos or Spotify in the headphones.

COBL clip available.

I would describe it as pleasant.

Huh... Good description. From the audiobook clip, I was really impressed. This is... fine. vocals are pretty much the same as the original. Pretty, and pleasant, but nothing unique about it like I had hoped.

There’s just not enough to get a good view - it’s part of a verse and part of a chorus. Just how the song is. Others have been longer and given a better impression.

I still buy CDs. I stream as well, but for artists I truly love, I like the physical product.

Same, although I've started buying my share of vinyl and CDs again since the pandemic began. The lack of clutter can be nice, sure. But I can still appreciate having the physical product around, as you would with books or whatever.

The other big thing is that streaming doesn't have everything. There's still plenty of releases or songs out there that's aren't present on any service, or even have an easy way to find a solid 320 mp3 version. Discogs or second hand stores can be a good source of things for that reason!

Fair. That’s what the pirated files on the hard drive in my safe are for…

I'm in the process of ripping the CDs to FLAC for this reason. Nice to update the tags and album art to higher quality too!

I still listen to files 99 percent of the time, but mostly because I don't want to rely on an Internet connection for streaming. That and any "lossless" options like Apple Music and whichever will probably be lower than lossless quality anyway, if you're just streaming via Bluetooth and such. I'm sure there's a way to set up cords to get that quality, but seems like a bit of work for me outside of just pressing play on what I already have on a laptop/hard drive set-up!

My only way of playing a cd now is in the usb burner drive I have for my MacBook. I grabbed it second hand so I could rip old cd singles so I had b sides from artists who haven’t got them on streaming.

My house is set up for streaming - it’s just too easy, and wifi speakers have better sound than cds through a traditional set up. In my dining/kitchen area which is in the dead middle of the house, I have a buffet with a vinyl set up - all vintage gear except the turntable, which is a really good pro-ject 2experience. I also set it up with a wifi receiver so I can stream to the nice speakers as well. I buy a lot of vinyl, because I love the whole experience of using the gear and sinking into a whole album.

So I’m pretty much about streaming most things, especially in the car or while I’m working, but weekends or when I’m making dinner I’ll put a record on. Can’t tel you the last time I bought a cd. Maybe songs of innocence for completism in my collection?

I'm in the process of ripping the CDs to FLAC for this reason. Nice to update the tags and album art to higher quality too!

I still listen to files 99 percent of the time, but mostly because I don't want to rely on an Internet connection for streaming. That and any "lossless" options like Apple Music and whichever will probably be lower than lossless quality anyway, if you're just streaming via Bluetooth and such. I'm sure there's a way to set up cords to get that quality, but seems like a bit of work for me outside of just pressing play on what I already have on a laptop/hard drive set-up!

Minor thread derail…

Ripping CD’s are still going to top out at CD quality; the stuff that is on streaming in hi-res is going to come in better than that. As for not losing the quality, “there are ways, dude.” Apple is notoriously locked down from a device perspective when it comes to actually playing lossless, like, anywhere. I went with Amazon Music, which has the same lossless library but can be utilized by some cheap-ish (sub-$100) smart devices that connect to standard dumb speakers. The devices also can play lossless from a NAS. If you’re curious, PM me and I will point the way.

I’m old and deaf and tend to play most of my music now off YouTube. Somehow apple turned me using the iPod and iTunes software and messed it up the last 10 years so that now I avoid playing music on my iPhone from apple sources. I’m old and like physical media. But I’m lazy and don’t use it.

I’m old and deaf and tend to play most of my music now off YouTube. Somehow apple turned me using the iPod and iTunes software and messed it up the last 10 years so that now I avoid playing music on my iPhone from apple sources. I’m old and like physical media. But I’m lazy and don’t use it.

are you the secret 5th member of U2? You tick all boxes. Well at least the two big ones.

Minor thread derail…

Ripping CD’s are still going to top out at CD quality; the stuff that is on streaming in hi-res is going to come in better than that. As for not losing the quality, “there are ways, dude.” Apple is notoriously locked down from a device perspective when it comes to actually playing lossless, like, anywhere. I went with Amazon Music, which has the same lossless library but can be utilized by some cheap-ish (sub-$100) smart devices that connect to standard dumb speakers. The devices also can play lossless from a NAS. If you’re curious, PM me and I will point the way.

To progress the point further, generally, as long as the speaker uses wifi or you use a wifi receiver you can get the sound quality to match the file potential - Bluetooth always drops quality, even in high end headphones, though they are getting much better. Streaming. Quality has eclipsed CD quality, not so much in bitrate which is what everyone assumes is the only factor, but by miles in terms of resolution. If you are someone who cares about having really good sound, wifi-based speakers or a good wifi receiver attached to good speakers is the best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom