New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm really not going to lose sleep over a bunch of tweets like this...

https://twitter.com/RueDaungier/status/1633114041303351302

we're at a stage of such polarity that any show of support for anything the right is against is going to lead to momentary selective outrage by a portion of the population.

here's a guy who doesn't give a shit.

If you like U2, you will really enjoy this collection. Some parts will sound odd due to familiarity with the originals but give these versions time to breathe and you will enjoy them for what they are. If you don’t like U2, you can probably carry on moaning about U2 with the same old cliché takes on the band. I’ll get the bingo card ready.

:love:

Dirty Day clip is up. Really cool vibe. There’s an interesting beat that fades in under the last section.

Last edited:

I am particularly pleased with this section:

“There is a touch of Nick Cave in the delivery of If God Will Send His Angels from 1997’s Pop. This is a song that is vastly underrated in U2’s back catalogue; it is fantastic to hear it resurrected here.

Faith, philanthropy and good will are always omnipresent with U2. Miracle Drug has a raw Bono vocal and Peace On Earth is re-imagined to great effect with The Edge leading.”

different words, same meaning

Yeah - I don’t hate that change. Nothing’s as simple as you think is hardly Shakespeare - it’s pretty cliched. Blinking can also mean hesitating, so it’s saying that it’s hard to be decisive and take control.

Last edited:
Dirty Day sounding good!

Kinda off topic, but I don't really find myself excited about a rawk album from U2. They have spent plenty of time chasing that sound in the new millenium, often to subpar results. I would be way more interested in more stuff like the Andy Barlow-produced tracks from SOE.

Knowing them of course, they will probably second and triple guess it all, hire ten producers, and release another album that's a mishmash of rock, more reflective material, and attempts at pop hits.

Why do you guys comment on music clips and not post them. But post 10000 dumb memes all day long. This is why we need more females. They wouldn’t treat the site this way.

You dirty day mofos.

Dirty Day sounding good!

Kinda off topic, but I don't really find myself excited about a rawk album from U2. They have spent plenty of time chasing that sound in the new millenium, often to subpar results. I would be way more interested in more stuff like the Andy Barlow-produced tracks from SOE.

Knowing them of course, they will probably second and triple guess it all, hire ten producers, and release another album that's a mishmash of rock, more reflective material, and attempts at pop hits.

I take these recent comments to mean they are actually going all the way there. I think Vertigo is the closest they’ve come to that sound, but I read these comments to mean an even harder edge to it. There’s actually nothing I can think of that meets the comments they are making - any attempt at guitar music in the last 20 years has been watered down by pop and commercial sensibilities. SUC, GOYB, ABOY, The Miracle - about the only guitar driven songs that I still wouldn’t categorise with the types of comments they are making.

I hope “get on your boots” is one of the 10 that didn’t make it as that guitar riff deserves a second chance in a better song.

Dirty Day sounding good!

Yeah, I'm unsure what would make the next album any more 'rock' (by U2's standards) than Vertigo, the Miracle, Blackout etc. Is it a whole album of that? Or much more aggressive than what's come prior?

Also, we're already seeing some of the 'rock' talk being walked back. Bono said he'd be happy with just en ep or even just one song with that sound, and Edge said it won't be like AC/DC. So I think you're right that we'll end up with the typical one or two rock songs, a radio-friendly pop tune, and a few mid-tempo tracks etc.

Having said that, Edge's recent comments of wanting the next album to be guitar-driven, and not in a rock and roll way but instead trying to find innovative sounds with the guitar, actually sounds quite promising. If they truly commit to that, it might be the closest they've gotten to the boldness of their 90s input.

The clear fact that their hit-making days are behind them, and having just put out an acoustic album could create a lot of potential for a very bold sound in their next album.
I'd love a modern day, 2020's spiritual successor to tracks like Mysterious ways and EBTTRT, I reckon they could do quite well with an updated version of that rock/dance/groove sound.

(Of course it's equally likely whatever we get will sound very similar to the last couple of albums - they have been recording with Ryan Tedder after all).

I love the original Dirty Day so much, and this is a really cool version so far.

It's sad that had they led off with BD, 2 hearts, Stories For Boys, Dirty Day... and then went to Pride, One, WOWY how different the initial reception of this project would have been?

So even with a batch of 40 NOT new songs to choose from they still manage to fuck up the lead off songs. :doh:

Having said that, Edge's recent comments of wanting the next album to be guitar-driven, and not in a rock and roll way but instead trying to find innovative sounds with the guitar, actually sounds quite promising. If they truly commit to that, it might be the closest they've gotten to the boldness of their 90s input.

That quote immediately made me think of Zooropa and how there's plenty of guitar on the album, but most of it doesn't sound like guitar.

I remember back around ATYCLB or HTDAAB or NLOTH, Edge was gushing about a fuzz pedal (made by Death By Audio, iirc) that he was enamored with. I was excited by that at the time, especially because I was in my Boutique Guitar Pedal Phase and tried tracking down the one he was talking about. Anyway, in my head, *THIS* fuzz pedal (along with It Might Get Loud) led to all of the Big Riff songs of the 00s and 10s. Most of them of fine or really great, but I've never loved Big Riff Edge as much as Weird Shit Edge.

I really really hope we get Weird Shit Edge one more time before they call it.

That quote immediately made me think of Zooropa and how there's plenty of guitar on the album, but most of it doesn't sound like guitar.

I remember back around ATYCLB or HTDAAB or NLOTH, Edge was gushing about a fuzz pedal (made by Death By Audio, iirc) that he was enamored with. I was excited by that at the time, especially because I was in my Boutique Guitar Pedal Phase and tried tracking down the one he was talking about. Anyway, in my head, *THIS* fuzz pedal (along with It Might Get Loud) led to all of the Big Riff songs of the 00s and 10s. Most of them of fine or really great, but I've never loved Big Riff Edge as much as Weird Shit Edge.

I really really hope we get Weird Shit Edge one more time before they call it.

I remember that - the supersonic fuzz gun, right? I tried finding that myself back in the day (no luck though!)

But yeah, Edge has said a couple of times now that they're not looking to replicate AC/DC so much, but try something new. It certainly sounds like he wants to experiment a little more beyond just making straight up rock and roll.

Even the aggressive/rock/unreasonable guitar stuff might turn out more like Acrobat than Vertigo, who knows...

They haven’t had an undeniably effective rock anthem since COBL. (Magnificent and Invisible came close) They’ve tried forcing Vertigo part two *TWICE*. I don’t think that shit’s in the cards this time around.

Bono’s spiel referenced the rock and intensity on the e-stage, specifically Acrobat. Between Exit being song of the night on JT30 and the affinity for (and crowd reaction to) Acrobat, I’m pining for the darker rock. Blackout had a touch of it.

I'm thinking Native Son and Xanax and Wine. Bono and Edge were all about it until Larry and Adam shut that direction down. Bono mentioned something about this direction straining relationships.

I remember that - the supersonic fuzz gun, right? I tried finding that myself back in the day (no luck though!)

But yeah, Edge has said a couple of times now that they're not looking to replicate AC/DC so much, but try something new. It certainly sounds like he wants to experiment a little more beyond just making straight up rock and roll.

Even the aggressive/rock/unreasonable guitar stuff might turn out more like Acrobat than Vertigo, who knows...

This is kind of what I’m getting at. Pop and commercial turned those things one dimensional and stole a lot of edge and experimentation.

They haven’t had an undeniably effective rock anthem since COBL. (Magnificent and Invisible came close) They’ve tried forcing Vertigo part two *TWICE*. I don’t think that shit’s in the cards this time around.

Bono’s spiel referenced the rock and intensity on the e-stage, specifically Acrobat. Between Exit being song of the night on JT30 and the affinity for (and crowd reaction to) Acrobat, I’m pining for the darker rock. Blackout had a touch of it.
Invisible was such a fucking blown opportunity.

And from what I've been told, they know it, too.

Back
Top Bottom