NA Stadium Tour--Could (should) they do it next time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thelaj said:
140 dates??! How many people would see them?
Could you tell me how those dates would be divided by region? I'm interested to hear your thoughts?

55 shows in Europe
55 shows in North America
30 shows in Rest Of The World

The total attendance would most likely be over 7 million. This assumes that they play stadiums everywhere and demand is like it has been on the Vertigo tour.

The_acrobat said:
I think the tour should look like this in 2008 or 2009. hopefully 08.

Spring Arenas:
Tampa- St. Pete Times Forum
Charlotte- Bobcats Arena
Hartford- Civic Center
Buffalo- HSBC Arena
Albany- Pepsi Arena
NYC- 3- Madison Square Garden
Boston- 2- Fleet Center
Philadelphia- Wachovia Center
Washington D.C.- MCI Center
Montreal- Bell Center
Toronto- Air Canada Center
Chicago- 2- United Center
Milwaukee- Bradley Center
Minneapolis- Target Center
Omaha- Qwest Center
St. Louis- Savvis Center
Cleveland- Gund Arena
Indianapolis- Conseco Fieldhouse
Columbus- Nationwide Arena (PLEASE! I LIVE HERE!!)
Nashville- Gaylord Center
OK City- Ford Center
Houston- Toyota Center
San Antonio- SBC Center
Las Vegas- 2- MGM Garden
Los Angeles- 2- Staples Center
San Francisco- HP Pavilion
Sacramento- Arco Arena
Portland- Rose Garden
Salt Lake City- Delta Center
Vancouver- 2- General Motors Place

Off to Europe for the summer

Late Summer/Fall Stadiums
NYC- 2 or 3- Giants Stadium
Boston- 2- Gillette Stadium
Philadelphia- Lincoln Financial Field
Washington D.C.- FedEx Field
Atlanta- Georgia Dome
Miami- Pro Player Stadium
Pittsburgh- PNC Park
Detroit- Comerica Park or Ford Field
Toronto- 2- Skydome
Montreal- Parc Jean Drapeau
Chicago- 2- Soldier Field
Winnipeg- Winnipeg Stadium
Edmonton- 2- Commonwealth Stadium
Seattle- Safeco Field
San Francisco- 2- SBC Park
Los Angeles- 2- Angel Stadium
San Diego- PETCO Park
Phoenix- Sun Devil Stadium
Denver- Invesco Field
Dallas- Texas Stadium

That's 64 Shows. Much less than 80 like they've done on the past tours, PLUS they're playing to many more people. They definitely could have done exactly this on the current tour. Tease the bigger cities in the spring with 1 or 2 shows, and then hit them with 2 stadium shows in the fall.

The problem with doing earlier arena shows is that it cuts in to ones ability to sellout a stadium or stadiums in the same market just months later.

STING2 said:

The problem with doing earlier arena shows is that it cuts in to ones ability to sellout a stadium or stadiums in the same market just months later.

In some markets it would. But if it was in support of a strong album and their popularity was/is there its very doable. (they would need to play primarily only one night though in the arena markets) Its the Zoo TV model and I think its probably the best model for them to follow if they do stadiums in N. America again. It worked well in 1992.

Could U2 really sell out that many stadiums? Would 7 MILLION people really see them?
How many discrete visitors are you talking, otherwise thats like 70% of all HTDAAB buyers?

At this point in their career, U2 understands very well the risk of overexposure. A US stadium tour will not happen in 2006.

don't talk too soon. they have stadiums in the USA on hold for 2006 for sure, don't ask i don't want to make you guys nuts but it's true. u2 can always cancel these dates, but u2 does have a stadium tour for USA in 2006 on hold.

thelaj said:
Could U2 really sell out that many stadiums? Would 7 MILLION people really see them?
How many discrete visitors are you talking, otherwise thats like 70% of all HTDAAB buyers?

Well, Achtung Baby initially sold 10 million copies in its first year and the tour sold 5.4 million tickets. But, there were multiple shows that never soldout on that tour in both North America and Europe. On this tour, U2 has soldout all of their European Stadium dates on the initial day of sale, usually in record time. Average attendance in Europe was 62,000 per show and they did not even come close to satsifying full demand. 2 million people saw them in Europe which is almost 70% of the total number of copies HTDAAB had sold in Europe by Summer 2005. If the band had played enough shows to satisfy demand in Europe, the number of people who would have saw the tour would have outnumbered the number of copies HTDAAB has sold there.

Remember, we live in a time where "file Sharing", internet downloading, and CD burning of music is very common. Many people who would of bought this album 5 or 10 years ago simply got it for free through file sharing or CD burning.

While we know how much HTDAAB has sold, its unknown how many people actually have the album. Obviously its much greater than the number of copies it has sold.

So the answers to your question is yes and yes. But, for it to happen in 2008/2009, the new album must be as popular as HTDAAB or at least comparable.

Blue Room said:

In some markets it would. But if it was in support of a strong album and their popularity was/is there its very doable. (they would need to play primarily only one night though in the arena markets) Its the Zoo TV model and I think its probably the best model for them to follow if they do stadiums in N. America again. It worked well in 1992.

They went to the Arena's early on in 1992 because they wanted to be sure the demand was there for Stadiums. Had they known before hand that the demand was there, they would have skipped the arena tour. You can tell the attendance in several markets on the fall leg would have been higher had their not been an arena show earlier in the Spring.

I would love to see it happen in 06. I for one feel an outdoor stadium with 50,000 invites a party atmosphere moreso than a stuffy concrete tomb that hold 12,000. I witnessed an alarming number of people sitting during Harford on 7 December.

Stadiums :drunk: :rockon: :sick:

It makes sense to do a 15-20 US stadium tour in the summer. No one is going to have a major tour this year in the states. As shown w/ all the Vertigo shows, demand is there. Maybe more than ever. With the Grammies coming up and if U2 gets a few awards don't be surprised if a stadium tour will be announced. Deep down you know U2 wants to tackle the US stadium market. Get revenge on the Popmart failure (US attendance). I'm a bit worried about over exposure, but it would be 5-6 months away until U2 hits the stage again in the states. Enough time to make them fresh again. Maybe release a EP of some sort or re-release Pop :|

I heard somewhere that The Who is coming to the US in summer of '06...I wonder, will they do stadiums?
As for U2, I don't think they should do it this summer unless by some miracle they release another album a la Zooropa this summer, or even an EP or a live CD/DVD (like Green Day's Bullet in a Bible).
But hey, even if they don't, I'll be wherever they play near here, Gillette, Fenway, wherever.

Let's face it, there is no way that U2 could play stadiums the USA, where they just played arena dates, without having a new album to promote. I don't care how many Grammies the Bomb wins. They could maybe do shows in NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, and two or three other cities but no huge stadium tour without new music.

As for the poster who asked whether U2 could play to 7 million people. in the future....of course they could. I actually don't think album sales has a whole lot to do with it. I see bands whose albums I don't own all the time. Many people like U2's hits and would see them in concert but wouldn't buy the new album. Just like the new Stones album hasn't sold terribly well but they are selling out stadiums based on their reputation and hits.

Blue Room said:

You forget, though, that in 1992, not only had they not played America in five years, but that in the mean time they'd released two albums.

So demand was bound to be higher in 1992 than it is right now.

As some have already read in Billboard, Edge states in an interview last month:

"We're just really, really proud of the tour and how it has been going. It has been amazing," he enthuses. "We could do a lot more shows in the States and in Europe, but in some ways, we figure, how could it get any better than this? Let's stop before we push it too far."
"

Lemonfix said:
they attempt a Stadium tour? Could they fill the seats?

[/B]

Well, if they're able to fill the arenas with 20.000-25.000 people for each night when they play 2-3 or 4 shows in a row, why should they not fill the seats in a stadium?
Imagine: 4 arena shows in a city, each with 20.000 people.

What would this mean?

1 stadium show in that city, 80.000 people

U2 would fill every hole on earth

:wink:

discotech said:
they will go US stadiums in 2006.

I`m afraid not - in a Grammy related interview in the last Rolling Stone Edge said that they will tour in the rest of the world, but not in the US. Alas...

zoopop said:
No one is going to have a major tour this year in the states.

Not quite true - Coldplay, the Who and possibly Radiohead are going on the US tour this summer. Nonetheless, even though there is pretty much no hope, I still keep my fingers crossed for U2 to come back here soon...

My opinion about U2 giving a stadium tour in the US - considering the numbers of sold out arena shows it`s possible to sell out stadiums at least in large cities (NY, LA, Boston etc) even without a hit new album.

If they didn't do it with the re-newed popularity on Elevation and this tour...they never will IMO.

I don't want to see U2 in stadiums anyway. I like the arenas because it is more intimate, and because even if you have a bad seat you still aren't a mile away. Also, in arena shows the band can play more songs that they can't play in the stadiums. Would an acoustic version of "The First Time" go down well in a stadium? No, but it worked well in arenas!

The_acrobat said:
I don't want to see U2 in stadiums anyway. I like the arenas because it is more intimate, and because even if you have a bad seat you still aren't a mile away. Also, in arena shows the band can play more songs that they can't play in the stadiums. Would an acoustic version of "The First Time" go down well in a stadium? No, but it worked well in arenas!

We wouldn't have "The First Time" encore. They would blow 50,000+ w/ that friggin "Zoo Station" encore they did in Europe. Followed by "The Fly" :drool:

I think U2 could warrent a NA Stadium tour if they properly remastered their back catalogue or released a DVD boxset.

Another thing to keep in mind is that u2 have yet to successfully start and end a tour in North American Stadiums.

<<no big acts touring in 2006>>

When does the Pearl Jam album drop? RHCP rumoured double album?

u2fp

tommycharles said:

You forget, though, that in 1992, not only had they not played America in five years, but that in the mean time they'd released two albums.

So demand was bound to be higher in 1992 than it is right now.

What if its 4 years until they are back? I dont think an extra year or two is a factor at this stage.

So I dont think the demand would be that much different. Again, my answer was with the criteria that it was in support of a strongly received album. If they put out an album that was very popular it wouldnt matter if it was only 2 or 3 years from the last time they played.

U2 can play stadiums in the U.S. fairly easily. They were planning to for this tour even after playing MANY shows in some markets. They wouldnt have started planning that if they didnt think they could do it. :shrug:

Lemonfix said:
Let's face it, there is no way that U2 could play stadiums the USA, where they just played arena dates, without having a new album to promote. I don't care how many Grammies the Bomb wins. They could maybe do shows in NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, and two or three other cities but no huge stadium tour without new music.

As for the poster who asked whether U2 could play to 7 million people. in the future....of course they could. I actually don't think album sales has a whole lot to do with it. I see bands whose albums I don't own all the time. Many people like U2's hits and would see them in concert but wouldn't buy the new album. Just like the new Stones album hasn't sold terribly well but they are selling out stadiums based on their reputation and hits.

No Stones album has sold terribly well since 1981's Tattoo You. For some artist like the Stones, a new album is not very relevant to how well ticket sales will go. But for U2, a band that is serious in promoting its new material and centers the tour around the album, the success and popularity of the album does impact ticket sales to a certain degree as we saw with POPMART.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
I heard somewhere that The Who is coming to the US in summer of '06...I wonder, will they do stadiums?
As for U2, I don't think they should do it this summer unless by some miracle they release another album a la Zooropa this summer, or even an EP or a live CD/DVD (like Green Day's Bullet in a Bible).
But hey, even if they don't, I'll be wherever they play near here, Gillette, Fenway, wherever.

The Who has not been able to do Stadiums since 1989. Their strictly and arena act now in terms of demand to see them live. They haven't put out any new material since 1982.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom