MERGED-->Justin Hawkins- hates Bono’s egotistical ‘holier than thou’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LJT said:
Then explain...

Look my point is about Bono's ego and putting himself on the same level as world leaders, etc.

I was not having a crack at the Pope, whatever you might think. That kind of thing I reserve for FYM.

Care to explain the speech then, since apparently you're the only one that understands what it's about?

:eyebrow:

financeguy said:

Look my point is about Bono's ego and putting himself on the same level as world leaders, etc.

I was not having a crack at the Pope, whatever you might think. That kind of thing I reserve for FYM.

So what does Bono calling the Pope Holy Father have to do with Bono's ego?

:scratch:

^same question as i was going to ask...if anything calling him Holy Father is an act of reverence..now if it was Bono calling himself The Holy Father...:wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
So what does Bono calling the Pope Holy Father have to do with Bono's ego?

:scratch:

It's in the context of a little speech about the whole Bono - JPII meeting/shinding.

My attitude is - sing the song, play the music. Honestly, I don't go to a concert to listen to Bono reciting little anecdotes about himself and the Pope. I can read them here for free.

But hey that's just me.

financeguy said:

My attitude is - sing the song, play the music. Honestly, I don't go to a concert to listen to Bono reciting little anecdotes about himself and the Pope. I can read them here for free.

But hey that's just me.

Well, that has way more to do with your attitude than Bono's ego. It's his show....what does him being a Christian giving a shout out to the Pope have to do with being egotistical? You could just not go to concerts since you can get those free here too :shrug:

Bono said it himself, he's a preacher stealin' hearts at a travelin' show

I don't really have a problem with his speeches if they seem important or when they're funny anecdotes about Edge from the future but sometimes I find myself going "just play the song now, please..."

I think people are blowing everything Bono does out of proportion, making it seem as an act of megalomania, when in actuality most of the stuff he says and does isn't that extreme.

...and I agree with U2girl. Why the personal attacks now? Is it just coincidence that he's making them at the time of The Darkness' upcoming album?

Usually when people knock Bono's attitude and "megalomania," I respond by telling them that he never insults other bands or emits any sort of negativity, but purely boosts U2's legacy as a band. What Justin Hawkins is doing, however, is not the same. Why such hateful comments? Honestly, Chris Martin and Bono seem to be 2 very gracious individuals who are trying to help in some way... they don't knock any other musical acts or attempt to spout whatever bleeding thoughts come to mind. They come off as very respectful, something which Mr. Hawkins obviously is not.

I earned alot more respect for Bono from reading the Rolling Stone article, it's like he knows who he is and what he does and people's perceptions of him, he just doesn't care and does what he feels is the right thing

seriously, if Bono didn't talk about the One Campaign, who would listen?

and that Hawkins guy is a complete wanker, as much as I dislike Chris Martin, that crossed the line

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Well, that has way more to do with your attitude than Bono's ego. It's his show....what does him being a Christian giving a shout out to the Pope have to do with being egotistical? You could just not go to concerts since you can get those free here too :shrug:

It is not even REMOTELY to do with Bono being a Christian. And it's really quite unfair of you to attribute that motive to my comments. If, in the course of introducing a song, he decided to tell a rather self-indulgent anecdote about the time he met Jacques Chirac or the Dalai Lama or Frank Sinatra I would have had precisely the same reaction.

I'm done with this thread. Guys, you may now continue with your devotions at the temple of Bono, pausing from time to time to ritually disembowel Justin Hawkins.

financeguy said:
I'm done with this thread. Guys, you may now continue with your devotions at the temple of Bono, pausing from time to time to ritually disembowel Justin Hawkins.

That's not really fair. Just because we don't agree with you on this point does not make us Bono devotees. It's like saying if you dislike HTDAAB and everyone else here thought it was really good, then we'd be "blind followers of U2."

People throw out way too many accusations :yawn:

financeguy said:
It is not even REMOTELY to do with Bono being a Christian. And it's really quite unfair of you to attribute that motive to my comments. If, in the course of introducing a song, he decided to tell a rather self-indulgent anecdote about the time he met Jacques Chirac or the Dalai Lama or Frank Sinatra I would have had precisely the same reaction.

I meant nothing against you personally, I just don't see how Bono's little speeches, regardless of what they're about, prove he's an egomaniac.... but if you don't care to elaborate, fine.

^^^Bit extreme mate:eyebrow: (financeguy)

I just don't have an issue with Bono's anecdotes...Edge himself has said Bono likes to tell stories to people......I like to tell people stories about people I have met etc...we all tell stories about ourselves:huh:

That is why i dont get the big deal.

Last edited:
to me someone who is egotistical, is someone who goes around courting attention with every newspaper and magazine and has a me me me kind of attitude, and thats something that bono does, and from what i have heard he is actually a very private person

but to call someone egotistical just because he says some stuff at his own concert :eyebrow:

Re: Justin Hawkins- hates Bono’s egotistical ‘holier than thou’

Mofo said:

In the Kerrang! interview, he ranted on: “Writing ‘Fair Trade’ on his hand. If you’re concerned about Fair Trade, tattoo it on your skin, don’t just fucking write it on your hand in felt tip.”

I thought this bit was quite funny:reject: Was Justin Hawkins being serious or a little tongue in cheek with some of his comments?:shrug:

financeguy said:

You are missing the point by a country mile.

That's because you had no point to make.

Bono's discussing meeting the Pope - which was a meeting that the Pope most likely called!!! If you recall, the Pope even called Bono on the phone!

So no point, hence people don't get what you are stating.

But then, like Hawkins, is it really important that we care what you think?

KUEFC09U2 said:
to me someone who is egotistical, is someone who goes around courting attention with every newspaper and magazine and has a me me me kind of attitude, and thats something that bono does, and from what i have heard he is actually a very private person

but to call someone egotistical just because he says some stuff at his own concert :eyebrow:

Exactly. I can think of situations where Bono might come off as egotistical, but the examples of him telling short stories during concerts aren't one of them. "Egotistical" means you are conceited and self-absorbed. In Bono, I see the exact opposite. I mean, he's filthy rich, a successful rockstar, has everything a man could want...yet he goes farther out of his way than anyone else I've ever met to try and accomplish even the slightest amount of good for the sake of the human race. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" I guess :huh:

Justin Hawkins has a bigger ego than Bono - and he's a dick. No one likes his band so his word won't be taken seriously. No one likes him either.

Darkness frontman slams Bono & Martin

I wonder if these rants have anything to do with their new shitty album coming out soon. This band sucks and clearly their promotion tactics arent too much better.

Source: Coldplaying(dot)com and then a simple google.

Justin Hawkins has sensationally slammed Chris Martin and Bono, saying that the Coldplay frontman should burn in hell.

In the outspoken interview, he also said that he hates Bono’s egotistical ‘holier than thou’ attitude. Asked which star should burn in hell, Hawkins replied, “Chris Martin. What are those seven deadly sins again? Greed? Sloth? Calling your child Apple? He’s terribly vain. I think he has a narcissism complex. He wants to be Bono, but he bleats in interviews about worrying about being ubiquitous. Make your fucking mind up. If you want to be a household name, be a household name.”

In the Kerrang! interview, he ranted on: “Writing ‘Fair Trade’ on his hand. If you’re concerned about Fair Trade, tattoo it on your skin, don’t just fucking write it on your hand in felt tip.”

Turning his attention to Bono, Hawkins blathered “I hate people being holier than thou. Like Bono getting an audience with the Pope, was all for Bono’s ego.”
-------------------------------------------------
THE DARKNESS star JUSTIN HAWKINS is considering having surgery to reverse his hair loss, because he doesn't want to wear a hat to cover his bald patch.

The English singer, who expresses his concerns in BALD, a song from new album ONE WAY TICKET TO HELL AND BACK, is refusing to model the look favoured by U2 frontman BONO.

He says, "You don't need hair. PHIL COLLINS is a case in point, the all over shaved look.

"But I leave mine as it is and give the baldness a go, with it long at the back and sides. My dad rocked that look and I always knew I'd go bald because my dad is.

"The other option with balding is to get surgery then wear a hat for a long time. Mentioning no names... Bono. But I admit, if surgery technology improves, I'll go for it too."

I'm sure glad you posted this, it would have been a pain in the ass to look ten more threads down the page.

See this thread....
http://forum.interference.com/t145822.html

P.S.

couchscene1.gif

Please commence ritual disembowelment of Justin Hawkins now (again).

Heretics must be burned at the stake. :drool:

Bumping this thread so the other Darkness thread doesn't get lonely.

WHAT AN UTTER JEALOUS WANKER!!!! :madspit:

Just cos he ain't got a millionth of Bono's talent&sexiness!!!! :p :madwife: :madwife:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom