MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's see if 20 years from now they will still making good albums and if they have changed 100% their attitude and their look through those 20 years.

Hi Meghan :wave:

MacphistoPT, stop being diplomatic:) I'd like to see them make a good album now.

coldplay (what a shitty name) is by far the most overrated band in music history. they haven't done any self-contained music until today. everything they do sounds and looks like a boring copy of other much more better originals.
and the miserable whiny singing of mr. fair-trade...oh my god:uhoh:...please help me:help: send me a rocketship, put 'em in and send them back to outaspace.:wave: bye bye and never come back you whiny boys...hope the aliens like their music more.

For fuck's sake, will you all just get over it and grow up? Everyday, a bloody new Coldplay thread! Fuck, you must all be threatened!

And Bono has been talking him and his band up since they started! Chris Martin is doing EXACTLY what Bono has been doing for 26 years.

blueeyedgirl said:
For fuck's sake, will you all just get over it and grow up? Everyday, a bloody new Coldplay thread! Fuck, you must all be threatened!

And Bono has been talking him and his band up since they started! Chris Martin is doing EXACTLY what Bono has been doing for 26 years.

lol, agree. :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:

i can never remember bono saying "the beatles are our enemy, etc"

i always rememebr bono talking about wanting to be big, but never talking about wanting to overtake another band, what the hell is this pop idol?

KUEFC09U2 said:
i can never remember bono saying "the beatles are our enemy, etc"

i always rememebr bono talking about wanting to be big, but never talking about wanting to overtake another band, what the hell is this pop idol?
You've obviously not read their interviews.

blueeyedgirl said:

You've obviously not read their interviews.
you show me a quote were bono or anyone else from U2 states "i want to be bigger than so and so" and then i will apologise for being wrong, i have heard bono saying he wants to be the best etc, but dont we all? but i have NEVER heard bono saying "i want to be bigger than the beatles" in a serious manner

KUEFC09U2 said:
you show me a quote were bono or anyone else from U2 states "i want to be bigger than so and so" and then i will apologise for being wrong, i have heard bono saying he wants to be the best etc, but dont we all? but i have NEVER heard bono saying "i want to be bigger than the beatles" in a serious manner

Yeah, I want to see the quotes where Bono mentions some band they're trying to be bigger than. Not that they want to be the best band in the world (because a lot of times Bono clarifies that its not necessarily the biggest but the best), but where he says U2 wants to be bigger or better than xy band.

I'll be back later to read the quotes.

Thanks.

guys and girls who havent figured it out yet, we're just taking the piss. I don't think anyone here cares what Chris Martin has to say, but his occasional comments are fun to point a stick at.

Sken said:
guys and girls who havent figured it out yet, we're just taking the piss. I don't think anyone here cares what Chris Martin has to say, but his occasional comments are fun to point a stick at.

lol, I know Sken. It's just - for the sake of fairness - we try to balance things a bit :wink:

Sken said:

I take his quotes about as seriously as I do the other members of Jim Henson's creations.

Another Day said:

I actually saw Coldplay in concert at the Fillmore in San Francisco a few years back, just to see what they were all about.

What a waste of money.

The fucking Dalton Brothers are better than that Coldplay crap, no joke.

Oh geez..... I'm going to see them TONIGHT in Columbus, and now I'm suddenly not looking forward to it.

These remarks make me not want to even go to the concert, though. I sure as hell hope Chris Martin disapears out the ass end of the music industry soon, cause I can't imagine putting up with him for 20 more years. If you think Bono is egotistical, wait to see what Chris Martin's ego is like at the age of 45 if their success continues. eeesh... I can't imagine.

Coldplay are too hyped up right now. People will get sick of it.

Aardvark, I knew deep down you were an obsescent fan of The Labyrinth and Dark Crystal.

But seriously, Coldplay do have a fair chance of being a bigger band than The Wiggles.

Hahaha, I must admit I never got that far in the movie. I hear its very good, but everytime I tried to watch it I kept imagining the Cookie Monster would appear and have a mental fit over a plate of cookies.

Sken said:
That's it, I'm coming over there and I'm going to bang your heads together.:shame:

I enjoy coldplay's records but this recent avalanche of comments from Chris Martin on how he's setting out to 'Beat U2' are just getting on my nerves...

You get reviews of albums saying 'Very good, hint of early Bowie in there' or whatever, and the band will cite said artist as an influence but I'm not looking forward to Coldplay's next record following comments that amount to no less than them saying 'We're trying to BE LIKE U2'...it's probably just going to be B-grade stuff that will rely heavily on more Joshua Tree style atmospherics and Buckland emulating the Edge again...:( and now they've just gone and admitted it's what they want to do really...

ramblin rose said:

Yeah, I want to see the quotes where Bono mentions some band they're trying to be bigger than. Not that they want to be the best band in the world (because a lot of times Bono clarifies that its not necessarily the biggest but the best), but where he says U2 wants to be bigger or better than xy band.

I'll be back later to read the quotes.

Thanks.

Woahoh! Noone said that. People said that Bono had been bigging his own band up and have made comments about being the biggest band in the world. I know, Bono is too clever to attack another band directly like Chris Martin, but I'm sure that if Chris Martin had said "We're the biggest/best band in the world", we would see lots of threads like this in here, too.

Last edited:
eh hem...

WHO CARES!!!

one would imagine that if there was the internet in the mid 1980s, fans of the rolling stones and the police and whoever else were probably have been ob their web forums saying the exact same things about that egotistical wanker Bono.

chris martin is saying nothing that bono hasn't said himself. get over it.

and anyways... what he's saying is baisicly a compliment. they want to be the biggest band in the world... which bono's been saying since the friggin 80s... and they realize that to be that they have to over-take U2... so baisicly all chris martin is saying is that U2 are the greatest band in the world, and if coldplay ever wants to take that title, they have to overtake U2.

it's a bloody friggin compliment.

Last edited:
Oh dear, all this is pretty irrelevant isn't it for this section of the site? I mean its really has reached cliched proportions, this whole thing about comparing U2 with Coldplay.

Chris Martin said what he said because he knew the reaction it would get. They have a new album and are touring at the moment, so he wanted to enjender a little debate and by saying what he said he knew it would get people talking - duh!

People just need to relax a little. The only comparison is that both of them construct amazing songs, and are very good live performers.

Why can't bands have goals? If it means they try harder at what they do then surely thats not a bad thing. Bono has said the motivation behind the current album came mainly from not wanting to make a crap album, or go on a greatest hits tour.

I have a lot of time for people on this site, they are intelligent, well informed lovers of contemporary music, but sometimes you guys really need to just take a step back and look at what you are writing, it should be left in the playground!

U2Man said:

Woahoh! Noone said that. People said that Bono had been bigging his own band up and have made comments about being the biggest band in the world. I know, Bono is too clever to attack another band directly like Chris Martin, but I'm sure that if Chris Martin had said "We're the biggest/best band in the world", we would see lots of threads like this in here, too.

Ugh, you're only referring to part of a quote:

Chris Martin is doing EXACTLY what Bono has been doing for 26 years.

Where has Bono named another band? That was my question. That is what it is alleged here. I expected to come back and see a ton of quotes, considering we're talking a supposed 26 year span here.

And I agree it is a total compliment. What bothers me is people immediately jumping to say Bono has done the same thing. No, Bono is smarter than to start naming other bands in is bigggest/best band tirades.

Last edited:
I caught this amusing little tidbit on a radio special on Coldplay's history (the history of new music for any edge toronto listeners). Coldplay don't have the heart or the drive to become what they imagine, Chris martin admittedly set the band up as a popularity vehicle, and they deliberately tried to find an appropriate music genre that would get them the most fame. Martin's first choice: a boy band. Yup, martin's original asperations were that he wanted to be bigger than n'sync.

I suppose the other guys had the sense to veto that one, and piano pop/rock was second in line.

Really makes you question the integrity of the music, eh?

Chris Martin touched my naughties.
He should be stung up.

You know, imagine if they had the internet back in the day when U2 was a young band and talking "smack" about The Beatles and The Stones...man...would've been the end of the world!

Ain't nothing wrong with a musician with ambition
Plus, having read the various articles where he makes the U2 / Ivan Drago comparison, it's done slightly tongue-in-cheek...Martin respects U2...so...every calm down...have a cream soda (brownie points if you can name the movie that's from)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom