MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, but one thing, there's no doubt that Coldplay are definitely flavour of the month and are extremely popular with just about everyone, including critics at the moment. I'd even say they're a bit over-rated and their albums can be a bit "samey", but they sure know how to write a cracking tune!

Fix You is a little overrated! It's a typical Coldplay song with their trademarked chords and arangements...

To be honest; I get a little tired of Coldplay! They should reinvent themselves... Dream it all up again... Cause another typical Coldplay record could mean the end for them...

U2 should never in a million years cover a song like that! Fix You is nó classic what-so-ever... It's just a pop song in the year 2005... In 2 years it will be forgotten...

Last edited:
so you're telling eachother in this topic you've got mail? very interesting (I gues that's what a board like this is for :huh: )

Neilz said:
so you're telling eachother in this topic you've got mail? very interesting (I gues that's what a board like this is for :huh: )

Sorry, officer. Are you gonna report us? :uhoh:

Neilz said:

:sad:

ascender_RS said:
Fix You is a stunning song IMO, the way it builds up. I don't understand the attitude on here of so many people who just don't seem to accept anyone criticising U2 and who will slag off or dismiss anything or anyone that isn't U2. The world is a big place and variety in life (and music) is a great thing.

Oh, and you can hardly criticise Fix You's lyrics when you consider the deep and meaningful ones in Vertigo for example.

Yeah but where's Martin's One or Please. His lyrics constantly make no sense.

At first with Yellow I thought it was poetic, using a colour as a term to means to explain his inability to communicate, but three albums in it's clear he has a pretty wonky grasp on the english language.

I like Coldplay, I especially like Fix You which has a stellar guitar lick and as you say builds up well.

But, I have problems with the lyrics. Vertigo is a throwaway pop song, but it still has a cohesive narrative. Fix You is the emotional highpoint, the big ballad of X&Y and it blatently makes no sense. It's almost like what Bowie did, cut up lines of text and randomly joined them up to create songs.

As I said, I don't think Coldplay are progressing musically at any great rate, if they don't come up with something different soon I think the public will get sick of them within two albums...which was the case with the big 80's and 90's bands who didn't innovate. But it's still early days yet for them, they really need to stop stealing other bands dynamics though. A bit of U2 here, bit of REM there, a complete melody line from Kraftwerk here, a complete guitar lick from Echo and the Bunnymen there.

popshopper said:

Yeah but where's Martin's One or Please. His lyrics constantly make no sense.

At first with Yellow I thought it was poetic, using a colour as a term to means to explain his inability to communicate, but three albums in it's clear he has a pretty wonky grasp on the english language.

I like Coldplay, I especially like Fix You which has a stellar guitar lick and as you say builds up well.

But, I have problems with the lyrics. Vertigo is a throwaway pop song, but it still has a cohesive narrative. Fix You is the emotional highpoint, the big ballad of X&Y and it blatently makes no sense. It's almost like what Bowie did, cut up lines of text and randomly joined them up to create songs.

As I said, I don't think Coldplay are progressing musically at any great rate, if they don't come up with something different soon I think the public will get sick of them within two albums...which was the case with the big 80's and 90's bands who didn't innovate. But it's still early days yet for them, they really need to stop stealing other bands dynamics though. A bit of U2 here, bit of REM there, a complete melody line from Kraftwerk here, a complete guitar lick from Echo and the Bunnymen there.

100% agree. I first saw Coldplay after they had released the Blue Room EP in a pub in Leicester. I was shocked at how fully formed they were, i knew they would be huge. First album was really good, big songs - a real indie breakthrough. Second album went massive, same blueprint but some brilliant songs. Third album, pretty poor. Some AOR ballads with such banal lyrics that after 3 listens i knew them off by heart. I'm not knocking them for the sake of it (i do genuinely like them), but Chris Martin is becoming more annoying by the day - there is something I can't quite believe in about him. His emotion seems forced and as such his whole persona in the press seems very defensive and paranoid. Almost like one day he will get rumbled. Maybe he knows that he has mined all of his sentimental clap-trap, and now has nowhere lyrically to go.

They don't exist in the same universe as U2 precisely because they attempting to surpass them, U2 existed in isolation to almost all the fashions of the day. I remember when the NME in the 80's wanted to shoot U2 (although NME hide that now with their U2 specials and front covers!), it never bothered them particularly and it paid off with the culmination of the Joshua Tree.

Will Coldplay ever write a Streets, Bad, Acrobat, Your Blue Room, Mofo, October, 11'o'Clock. I seriously doubt it.

You are dead right about the Bunnymen thing too. I know they are good friends with Ian and Will - but come on lads, it's blatant!

popshopper said:

Just like my wonky grasp of my native tongue....why can't I type?????

I'm gonna have to report you guys. Don't talk about coconuts in good threads like this. :|

the one thing that Coldplay has over U2 is that their second LP (Rush of Blood) is leaps and bounds better than anything U2 did until Unforgettable Fire (4th album).

Also you want to talk about guitar rifs, the rif that starts Talk on X&Y is amazing.

and I dont understand why U2 fans are upset that a band wants to sound like U2?? How is that bad for anybody??

Also, Chris Martin's comments about taking over U2 as biggest band in the world is in response to Bono saying it will be sad if in 5 years when theyre 50 they're still the best band in the world.

Colplay wants to take over U2. You can disagree whether Coldplay are as good as U2, but why is it bad that another band places U2 as the lead band to catch up to?? Theyre admitting U2 is the tops...

Last edited:
GretzkyU2Yanks said:
the one thing that Coldplay has over U2 is that their second LP (Rush of Blood) is leaps and bounds better than anything U2 did until Unforgettable Fire (4th album).

Also you want to talk about guitar rifs, the rif that starts Talk on X&Y is amazing.

and I dont understand why U2 fans are upset that a band wants to sound like U2?? How is that bad for anybody??

Also, Chris Martin's comments about taking over U2 as biggest band in the world is in response to Bono saying it will be sad if in 5 years when theyre 50 they're still the best band in the world.

Colplay wants to take over U2. You can disagree whether Coldplay are as good as U2, but why is it bad that another band places U2 as the lead band to catch up to?? Theyre admitting U2 is the tops...

I'm not upset with coldplay, but you must admit that over their three album their sound has not advanced one bit, and in many cases it has regressed as the production values got higher. That's a worrying trait for a band who wants to be the best band in the world.

Direct comparisions with u2 don't count. It was a different industry then. U2 didn't have a big album until War, and the first thing they done was radically change style after it. Coldplay hit the track running, had far more money and studio time that early u2 could ever dream of and have taken no risks. The most avant garde moment of Coldplay's career comes from a ripoff of Kraftwerk's most famous song...again not a good sign.

I loved Parachutes. I liked Rush of Blood to the Head. X&Y sounds mostly like B-sides from those two album imho.

GretzkyU2Yanks said:

:lmao:

Yeah, I guess any album featuring I Will Follow, Twilight, Out Of Control, and The Electric Co. is complete shit. :|

my comment was more a nod to Rush of Blood than a knock on Boy.

Parachutes to Rush of Blood was definitely an advancement in sound. They went from almost acoustic to full sound and the tempo went from all slow to having some fast. I do agree that X&Y has zero advancement though.

Last edited:
Coldplay are a good band, but they will never be on the same level as U2.

That said, their second album will always be better than U2's second album, so at least they can take solace in that.

GretzkyU2Yanks said:

Personally I don't think the problem is with Coldplay wanting to sound like U2, but when Chris Martin starts talking about how he and his band want to take over/be greater than U2, thats when it really starts to bother me.
Although I am slightly biased since U2 is my favorite band, I think they are just one of those bands that you can never be better than. You can try to emulate them in every way possible but you will never really reach their status. How many people can actually see Coldplay creating albums like The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby? Although they are admitting U2 is the top, I really don't think they will ever be able to beat it, but I suppose its alright to try to aim for it.

Back
Top Bottom