MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:
I don't want to bash Coldplay but I seriously doubt that their songs - especially the ones on X&Y - will ever be classics. Not that I think U2 have many songs, that will be eternal classics, either, but I haven't heard a single Coldplay song that was interesting enough for me to want to listen to more than a few times.

Lyrically, very little of X&Y makes sense to me. It's like they've gone a step to far in trying to emulate some of Bono's more indirect lyrics (Bad, for example) and failed miserably.
I'm a Coldplay fan too, but it's dificult to ignore.

I must say, fix you has the worst lyrics of any rock ballad of the last 5 years.

The music is pretty boring, depressing, sounds like a funeral. The bridge, etc.. sounds like a mess of whatever they could mash together and out of place.

Sometimes you can't make it on your own is much much better!

ruffian said:

Pablo would deserve it. :evil: He's been harassing a poor guy in here the last several days :sad:

But unfortunately, I don't think it's true :wink:

nothing on the new CP record is even remotely as good clocks, yellow, trouble, or the scientist.

not nearly. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying...or has questionable tatse in music to begin with....lol!! JK

but I stand by my first comment x&y is just bad, it's a shame the record companies and music industry want CP to be the next big rock band, and the band did not deliver on this reord, but they went with it anyway!

which is good for rock music in general, but not such a good thing because inho this will likely hurt CP's career, and with x&y, they sound undeserving of the acclaim.

innocent_eyes said:
nothing on the new CP record is even remotely as good clocks, yellow, trouble, or the scientist.

not nearly. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying...or has questionable tatse in music to begin with....lol!! JK

but I stand by my first comment x&y is just bad, it's a shame the record companies and music industry want CP to be the next big rock band, and the band did not deliver on this reord, but they went with it anyway!

which is good for rock music in general, but not such a good thing because inho this will likely hurt CP's career, and with x&y, they sound undeserving of the acclaim.

I agree. There's no doubt that the members of Coldplay have shown that they have talent, and that they are capable of writing some descent songs, but X&Y doesn't at all live up to the expectations that had been created by the marketing of it. I was disappointed, that's for sure.

what a shitty, SHITTY thread.

and nevermind that, some of you need to learn to stop "crying" over every small, insignificant thing that comes by.

i can't believe the way some of you throw out "it would seriously make me cry if ____" phrases over everything. lame.

Zoomerang96 said:
what a shitty, SHITTY thread.

and nevermind that, some of you need to learn to stop "crying" over every small, insignificant thing that comes by.

i can't believe the way some of you throw out "it would seriously make me cry if ____" phrases over everything. lame.

:confused:

i'm talking about how often i read people say how they cry after hearing bono fart a hole through his pants, or anything else that's entirely insignificant to most everyone else.

Axver said:

Well, this whole song about "I will fix you" sounds like someone dropped a Lego house on concrete and now he's got to put the little bricks back together.

:lmao:

+++

I don't mind Coldplay, they're alright.

In fact, sometimes it's fans of certain bands that are more annoying/irritating than the band themself. (Not Coldplay or U2 in particular, just in general).

Axver said:
Fix You is arguably the worst song I have heard in a long time. The difference between Chris Martin and Bono is that Martin sings about toys while Bono sings about people.

LOL! Classic...

I really think if U2 had written Fix You, you'd all gush about how great it is. What's with the animosity toward Coldplay anyway? Wouldn't you rather them be popular than say, Brittany Spears or 50 Cent?? :eyebrow:

No, I wouldn't. "Fix you" has about as much punch as "One Step Closer" and you don't see as many threads about that songs as you see for "Mercy".

I don't see how everyone goes crazy about that song "Fix you" it really is boring and then in the end it throws that aimless line "Tears stream down your face" wow, that's deep.

If U2 had written Fix you it would be an interesting song.

I like a lot of Coldplay songs. Even of the new record I enjoy songs like Square One, White Shadows, Talk and even Speed Of Sound. But I do agree that Fix You is a really boring song that I have never liked, it is one of Coldplay's worst IMO and nowhere near SYCMIOYO

Palace_Hero said:

I agree this is turning into a nasty thread, Fix you may not be the most "deep" song in Coldplay's catalog, but be honest half of HTDAAB is not that great lyrically at least not like Achtung Baby or even Pop

Oh and for the record I still enjoy HTDAAB, not every song has to have 20 different meanings to be a good song...IMO

Coldplay should go to alaska and crab fish, and hopefully there boat gets lost at sea, and they never come back

The only reason Coldplay have a record deal is because all the teenybopper morons around the world got tired of the Backside Boys and NSync and wanted some other lameass, generic pop band to glom on to instead.

Chris Martin timed it perfectly.

It's a sad, sad state of affairs when a shitty, mediocre group like Coldplay is considered the best British band of the 00's, what a fucking joke.

That "Fix You" song is horrific, I can't believe some U2 fans here actually like that bit of boring fluff.

And to compare the "War" record with "X&Y" is laughable, some of you people have no clue. Go back and watch the "Under A Blood Red Sky" video again, those "War" songs are amazing -- then compare it to any concert those Coldplay idiots have ever done... not even close.

Coldplay will be forgotten in 10 years.

U2 will still be revered a century from now.

Last edited:
Another Day said:
The only reason Coldplay have a record deal is because all the teenybopper morons around the world got tired of the Backside Boys and NSync and wanted some other lameass, generic pop band to glom on to instead.

Chris Martin timed it perfectly.

It's a sad, sad state of affairs when a shitty, mediocre group like Coldplay is considered the best British band of the 00's, what a fucking joke.

That "Fix You" song is horrific, I can't believe some U2 fans here actually like that bit of boring fluff.

And to compare the "War" record with "X&Y" is laughable, some of you people have no clue. Go back and watch the "Under A Blood Red Sky" video again, those "War" songs are amazing -- then compare it to any concert those Coldplay idiots have ever done... not even close.

Coldplay will be forgotten in 10 years.

U2 will still be revered a century from now.

Yay! Because you made your shit bigger and in bold, its true! :bow:

Coldplay are absolutely terrible live...talk about one paced. I actually feel embarrassed for Martin when he tries to talk to a crowd.

The problem with X&Y (which is a good enough record I suppose) is that Coldplay and the press hyped it up as a change of direction and an evolution of the coldplay sound. It's not they ripped off Kraftwerk on one song (really its a cover with different lyrics and a bit of guitar) just like they did with Echo and the Bunnymen on the last album, and they added a couple of synths low in the mix on a couple of their tracks. Everything on X&Y could easily fit in on either of their first two albums, that does not bode well for their future career.

Also as noted Chris Martin writes terrible lyrics, it's strange he sometimes avoids using easy lyrics which would fit and make sense to force in some garbled nonsense which makes absolutely no sense.

Example Fix You

"Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones"

Exactly what does that mean. I take it the lights guiding someone home is a good thing, but they'll there suddenly a bad thing. It's extremely strange.

Fix You is a stunning song IMO, the way it builds up. I don't understand the attitude on here of so many people who just don't seem to accept anyone criticising U2 and who will slag off or dismiss anything or anyone that isn't U2. The world is a big place and variety in life (and music) is a great thing.

Oh, and you can hardly criticise Fix You's lyrics when you consider the deep and meaningful ones in Vertigo for example.

ascender_RS :up:

U2Man, there goes your ticket to the Coldplay concert :wink:

Back
Top Bottom