LP13 Discussion - Rock Bottom: Still No F#@&*ng News!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input :hug: !

POP is ridiculously expensive too. Prices go up as years go by for sure...

I remember seeing a vinyl of Pop a few years after it came out for 20 Australian dollars. Still kicking myself for not getting it - they are expensive as hell now. It's the only album I don't have on vinyl.

I remember seeing a vinyl of Pop a few years after it came out for 20 Australian dollars. Still kicking myself for not getting it - they are expensive as hell now. It's the only album I don't have on vinyl.

Similar story with the CD version "Go Home: Live at Slane Castle." A few years ago, I saw it used at FYE for $15. I guess sometime took it in for credit and the clerk mistook it for the DVD because he can't price U2 exclusives in his system. I was in college, and I didn't get it for some reason. Now, I want it but I cannot find it less than $150. Hopefully they'll package it in an upcoming membership gift. That is how I got the Zoo TV CD because that was even more expensive before being re-released with "U22."

I remember seeing a vinyl of Pop a few years after it came out for about 20 Australian dollars. Still kicking myself for not getting it. It's the only album I don't have on vinyl.

Any Vinyl connoisseurs here ? Are the old Analog album pressings much better in sound quality than the current remastered versions ?

I guess what I want to know is: Are the remastered versions just the same as the CD digital signal layed on a vinyl plate ? Are we getting ripped off in sonic quality with Vinyl Reissues ?

:hmm:

Any Vinyl connoisseurs here ? Are the old Analog album pressings much better in sound quality than the current remastered versions ?

I guess what I want to know is: Are the remastered versions just the same as the CD digital signal layed on a vinyl plate ? Are we getting ripped off in sonic quality with Vinyl Reissues ?

:hmm:

I've heard people raving over the sound quality of the 180gm Joshua Tree though I've not heard it myself . I guess it would help to have a top quality system though.

Anyone ready for...? :hyper:

Donkey-Punch-1.jpg

When I think about the AB cover, I'm amazed by how *almost* every single 'square' would have worked as a single great cover. Obviously I love the collage idea, wouldn't have been the same without it. But my point rather to say how those in colour photos were so cool to open the 90's decade of U2.

Report dismissed by U2's management apparently??? Who knows?

Bono beats five-year writer's block for new album - RTÉ Ten

Bono beats five-year writer's block for new album
Tuesday 22 Jul 2014

U2 frontman Bono has reportedly beaten a "five-year writer's block" and the band are planning to debut new songs at a gig in London's Roundhouse in September.

The Sun newspaper reports that U2 are planning to release their currently unnamed thirteenth studio album this November. It will be the follow-up to 2009's No Line on The Horizon.

"The U2 comeback is very much on for this year," a source told the tabloid. "This album has been a real struggle for them to make. It's taken a long time and Bono didn't find it easy.

"But they feel very confident now and are convinced the wait has been worth it."

The Sun also claims that U2 are set to play at one of a series of iTunes Festival gigs at the Roundhouse in September.

However, U2's management have dismissed the report.

Tuesday 22 Jul 2014

U2 frontman Bono has reportedly beaten a "five-year writer's block" and the band are planning to debut new songs at a gig in London's Roundhouse in September.

The Sun newspaper reports that U2 are planning to release their currently unnamed thirteenth studio album this November. It will be the follow-up to 2009's No Line on The Horizon.

"The U2 comeback is very much on for this year," a source told the tabloid. "This album has been a real struggle for them to make. It's taken a long time and Bono didn't find it easy.

"But they feel very confident now and are convinced the wait has been worth it."

The Sun also claims that U2 are set to play at one of a series of iTunes Festival gigs at the Roundhouse in September.

If so, which part of the report? Just like I said yesterday - speculate today, false tomorrow. :wave:

Tuesday 22 Jul 2014

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

It's funny how this story, based on rumors and speculation by tabloids, is now making its rounds and is all over social media along with the recycled Billboard story from months ago about U2 not releasing an album before 2015. Everyone can decide for themselves which of these stories to believe.

All I've seen is the most recent story. A bit early (though time is running out) to believe either of them. We'll just have to wait and see.

I've been bidding on ATYCLB on Vinyl on Ebay in Mint condition but had to drop the bidding race, it's now at 200$ US for Christ's sake :huh: !!

Why is this album so expensive on Ebay ?? Rarity ?

I have all the album's on vinyl,managed to get pop and atyclb for around £30 each. I was very lucky!

Sent from my HTC One using U2 Interference mobile app

aside:

there's been a lot of bitching, maybe too much bitching, about U2's quest for relevance. Many conflate this aim with their aim for being on radio, getting the number one single etc. In doing so, the suggestion is that U2 will make music that panders to the masses, in an effort to get radio play and therefore Relevance.

this article features this now classic Bono quote:

We're on the verge of irrelevance. You have to make stuff relevant to you and where you're at, make an honest account of what you're going through. If that's relevant to other people, great. But we don't know.

love this quote. doesn't it just fly in the face of the common accusation that u2 have gone lite, safe, coldplayed, etc? that the don't just make music for themselves anymore, that they're catering to the kids... In fact - they're just making music they like. What a fucking concept.

anyway, that's all.. no need to discuss further.. nothing to see here...

Last edited:
I take that to mean that they were becoming irrelevant to themselves.

1. You have to make stuff relevant to you and where you're at, make an honest
2. account of what you're going through. If that's relevant to other people, great.
3. We're on the verge of irrelevance.

Therefore: U2 were not making stuff relevant to their lives; they weren't taking an honest account of what they were going through. Or it wasn't as honest as they want to it, at any rate.

Can the band just make an official release announcement already? I'm tired of reading all of the news from tabloids and entertainment sources. :waiting:

Well I guess that would be dependent on whether they had anything to release.

Bottom line from someone who doesn't know the band, a friend of the band, a friend of a friend of the band or anyone who lives in Ireland for that matter:

Mid August we will have single details

Mid to late September we will have have a single released and album info

Album will be out the week of or before Thanksgiving

Now you can all log off and enjoy the weather, your girlfriend, boyfriend, spouse or whatever it is that this place keeps you from enjoying.

Cosmo has spoken and you can take it to the bank. You're welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom