LP 13: See you next Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ He's clearly distancing himself from will.I.am :lol:

Btw (maybe wrong forum, but still): Are Paul Banks and Helena Christensen an item? :ohmy:

Agree wholeheartedly with this comment - MOS shouldve been first single - and Holy Joe shouldve been first single of POP and on the POP record.

Holy Joe? That song is almost as much of a piss-take as Discotheque. My point was that thematically, it was a pretty dark album, and shouldn't have been introduced so frivolously. I say this as someone who loves Discotheque and thinks the video is a laugh riot. But it was probably a bad PR move.

Hmtmkmkm should have been The first single on pop and should have been on the album! What a fucking amazing song that is.

The album is not glam rock, either. I don't think that song is representative of the album, either.

Lead single should've been Miami.

Going to assume this was a joke, though I love that song too.

In my opinion, the best choice for a lead single might have been Last Night On Earth. It's a rocker with a big chorus, but bears some of the album's club DNA (much as Discotheque does) with the rhythm section.

Of course, it also would have needed a different video, because the one they released was probably too WTF for a mainstream audience.

When you look at first singles of albums since Pop, there is a direct three-way correlation between quality of choice of single to reception of said single to reception of album (critically, commercially or both).

Pop - poorly received, poorish sales, poor choice of first single.

Atyclb - greatly received, good sales, single choice was perfect, and received as the third coming.

Htdaab- greatly received, great sales, single received wonderfully well.

NLOTH - poorly received, poor sales, poor choice of single.

I think Pop and NLOTH are considered the equal, if not superior by the fans to both the others, but U2 need to start each album cycle with a song that resonates or the momentum is lost. If Pop kicked off with LNOE, or Gone, and NLOTH with MOS or Magnificent, we have two very differently received albums. Like it it not, the introduction matters with U2, mostly because the band is so polarising. To win the middle ground, they have to do it quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Discotheque a poor single??? Really,?i think its a cracking tune and it got to number one here in the uk.

I wouldnt call pops lead single poor at all, plus wasnt the first week sales of pop higher then the joshua tree?( in america anyway) which would prove the sales of pop had nothing to do with the first single choice

32 hours to Apple event.. RED iPhone? With pre-loaded new U2 album. Shipping one week from tomorrow. Single "Sirens" available tomorrow right away in iTunes. Album in iTunes and stores in 2-4 weeks. How great would this be :drool:

I'm not expecting anything to happen tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong, but we have been burned so many times.

Holy Joe? That song is almost as much of a piss-take as Discotheque. My point was that thematically, it was a pretty dark album, and shouldn't have been introduced so frivolously. I say this as someone who loves Discotheque and thinks the video is a laugh riot. But it was probably a bad PR move.

Agreed but Holy Joe did have that "club DNA" you speak of or as Bono called it "the drugs"...Gone could've been first cab off the rank too.

Another factor was the name of album "POP" which probably did not help to some extent.

When you look at first singles of albums since Pop, there is a direct three-way correlation between quality of choice of single to reception of said single to reception of album (critically, commercially or both).

Pop - poorly received, poorish sales, poor choice of first single.

Atyclb - greatly received, good sales, single choice was perfect, and received as the third coming.

Htdaab- greatly received, great sales, single received wonderfully well.

NLOTH - poorly received, poor sales, poor choice of single.

I think Pop and NLOTH are considered the equal, if not superior by the fans to both the others, but U2 need to start each album cycle with a song that resonates or the momentum is lost. If Pop kicked off with LNOE, or Gone, and NLOTH with MOS or Magnificent, we have two very differently received albums. Like it it not, the introduction matters with U2, mostly because the band is so polarising. To win the middle ground, they have to do it quickly.

Was the other way around ATYCLB had great sales, Bomb, even if it began stronger, was the good seller.

has anyone seen the Apple 3D pic on facebook?

reckon we'll have a little singing and dancing U2 hologram tomorrow? :D

Yeah right. Why release a double album when you can release a single album every 5 years.

well-there-you-have-it.gif

:crack: Good god, nearly 6 years between albums really is not good for the fandom. I just hope there will be some sort of news tomorrow, so the good times will be back.

What time and timezone is the apple event actually? :hmm:

I was thinking about the release schedule of U2 or U2 related stuff lately (criteria at least a couple of new songs), and this really has been a long gap:

2000 - ATYCLB
2002 - Best of 90-00
2004 - HTDAAB
2006 - 18 Singles
2007 - TJT Remaster
2008 - Boy, October, War, UABRS Remasters
2009 - NLOTH, TUF Remaster
2011 - AB Remaster

The only years we have missed there are 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 so far. 4 of the last 4 years, where from 2000 to 2009 no consecutive years were missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom