Lady with the spinning head - Best of version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady luck

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just heard this song this morning and I was thinking about what it means to me. So now I’m going to share this with you! Feel free to add your own comments on the song!!
As you probably have already notice, I was nick-named after this song! I’ll explain why later on.

The original version of “Lady with…” appears as a b-side on the “One” single (1992), but my favourite version is the one that was in the b-sides of 1990-2000.

The song stars with a great, danceable intro, than Bono slides in
“Here she comes, Lady Luck again/figures of 8, 6 and 9 again
ah ah ah - Lady with the spinning head”

Is the Lady a REAL person?
I’m not sure of it…. IMO, Bono’s talking about LUCK, and simply refers to it as a Lady . If I remember well, Luck was often seen as a Lady in various mythological tales and legends. At times, she’s represented with a cover on her eyes: she will bring her powers and fortune to no matter who. She chooses her favourites by mere chance -- so you can be the next one she’ll visit!!!
Luck is not a common Lady, of course. She’s the one “with the spinning head”: i.e., she continuously turn her head around and changes the person she looks at. (I dunno if this is an Italian thing, but here we say that Luck KISSES people…)
I think that those numbers were put in the song just to fill in a line… they’re just three figures, but go and tell a person who won the lottery thanks to those figures that 8, 6 & 9 are just numbers…

The most incredible thing about Luck is chance: one day you can be at the top, and the next day the situation can change utterly.

[“change utterly” … now I can’t help writing about the beautiful poem from William Butler Yeats, called “Easter 1916”. In the poem, the lines “All is changed utterly/ A terrible beauty is born” are repeated several times.
Well, I’ll take this lines out from the context (the poem refers to the rising that took place in Dublin against English establishment in 1916, and after that rebellion a lot of people were killed).
When I think about the lines I wrote before, my mind moves to think to the twists of Luck that one faces during his/her life can really change your life utterly -- you can wake up in a new reality, and feel like you’re in a new world where everything is not what it used to be. ]

Ok, let’s go back to the song.

“Whatever the deal, she won’t let me down/ wherever I go, she’s always hanging ‘round”
Maybe you have to convince yourself of this statement if you really want to be a Lucky person. Luck is always there -- but you need to be persuaded that it’s going to touch you!
Special mention: I ADORE Bono’s pronounce of “GO” in this particular verse!!!

“She’s been gone / but I knew she’ll be back” : yes, exactly! Luck gives, Luck takes!
“She’s got the rent / she put me in the black”
Can you borrow fortune? If Luck fades from your side, do you really end in a black hole? Maybe… but it may be helpful thinking that Luck is “The Lady with the spinning head” -- she’ll come back, sooner or later.

“When I’m down/she’ll cure my blues/ she’s the one in Italian shoes” : not only Luck can make you feel better, but also seems to have a great taste for clothes!!!
“I’m on top when she’s around” : when Luck’s on your side, you feel you can create, do things, move and achieve the things you want the most. It’s the invisible force that makes all things work the right way for you!
“She’s my ticket out of town” : is not everybody’s wish to move away, either physically or metaphorically? Well, if you really yearn to do something, to realise your dreams, to act, a little bit of Luck will help you make the first step!

I simply love this song! It has the rhythm, it dazes me and make me wanna sing and dance!

Ps: My best friend decided that “Lady Luck” was the nickname for me when he saw me going around with a pair of shoes, that had a small label in the back part, which reads “Scarpe Italiane” (i.e. Italian shoes)! It was a too nice name to leave it unused!
And, believe it or not, from when I start to write with that name, my fortune rate -- and the one of those surrounding me -- has improved….

I'm pretty sure that the Lady is almost ceratinly lady luck, and the spinning head refers to a roulette wheel.

On another note, I've read a few threads from people who're surprised to find that Spinning head on the best of is different to spinning head B side on one.

It Is different, but isn't spinning head on the best of exactly the same as the B side on even better than the real thing?

in the best-of I think the music has some difference and a couple of lines are changed

BostonAnne said:
:) :up: I'm jealous that my username isn't Lady Luck. I could use it right now. :)

Thank you for the insight.

how sweet you are! Thanks a lot:wink:

Its my son's absolute favourite - he is five now, but loved that song when it came out on the best of. Needless to say, U2 is his favourite band and when he was little (well, about 1 1/2) , he used to bounce on the sofa to Elevation live from Boston.

two shots said:
Its my son's absolute favourite - he is five now, but loved that song when it came out on the best of. Needless to say, U2 is his favourite band and when he was little (well, about 1 1/2) , he used to bounce on the sofa to Elevation live from Boston.

wow! absolutely great!

Back
Top Bottom